Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
ReeseTee
Active Community Member

Not coming up in a test search of my own zip code:

hello: I am not coming up in a test search, of my own zip code, in the first 30 Thumbtack Pros for picture hanging. It kind of feels like I have been singled out, and am being punished for speaking up.

If I'm not getting leads, I can't spend money for contacts.

States
13 responses
MR
Community Veteran

Re: Not coming up in a test search of my own zip code:

@ReeseTee 

I can confirm that I am not seeing you in search eaither. I am located in the NW suburbs, but when I put in your zip for location you do not appear. 

Strange though that several high rankers are in DuPage - which is not close to you.

Lar
Community Veteran

Speculation.

Are you using Promote?

If not, and there are more than 30 Pros who could show up in Search results, then Thumbtack's algorithm will drop some Non-Promoted Pros from the Search results when it has to. Thumbtack only shows 30 Pros so if you're not being shown then you got cut from that particular search. You should show up periodically on future searches, you just won't show up on every search. It all depends on how many Pros are in the 'pool' of Pros for the job in question.

If you are on Promote and you're still not being shown then that would be worrying.

Regards,
Laurence.

DJStevie
Community Expert

@Lar 

Here's one, When not Promoting, I show up below 2 other DJ that I personally know who aren't using Thumbtack.

But @ReeseTee , @Lar is correct. Promoting will get you ranked higher, and when not Promoting, you may not show up on every pool of Pros for some reason, which isn't fair, especially for a seasoned Pro such as yourself. Something has to change with the way we are ranked, because it seems that the newbies who are Promoting are ranked higher than us when we aren't Promoting, which isn't fair as well.

Moderator Meckell

@ReeseTee you definitely aren't being punished for sharing your concerns or feedback. That's not something we'd ever do to a pro. Looking at your settings, I'm seeing that you aren't promoting your Picture Hanging and Art Installation installation service. That can make a huge difference when it comes to where you rank in a customers search especially if a lot of other pros in your area are promoting. Would you be willing to set your preferences by promoting that service and see if that helps?

0 Kudos
ReeseTee
Active Community Member

Hello: I am pasting the response from support.  It is a LIE; I just got off the phone with two of the 30 TT Pro's who do show up on the list, and they are not using PROMOTE.

It seems as though the solution to every single problem any TT PRO has, is to sign up for PROMOTE. Well I do not want to do that.
I have more hires, and reviews, than allmost all of the Pro's who are coming up on the list. I have Top Pro status, but Pro's who do not have Top Pro status are coming up ahead of me.  I should not be punished because I do not want to use PROMOTE.  

outNout.jpg

Lar
Community Veteran

Search is not an effective way for connecting Pros to Customers unless you're on Promote and you're near the top of the search results.

As a Pro for you to receive a lead the customer must...

(1) SEE you in the search results.

(2) CLICK on you to view your profile.

(3) REACH out to you so that you get the lead.

That's three hurdles that must be overcome before you can get a lead. Each of those hurdles is at the whim of Thumbtack and the customer. Yes, your profile/reviews/hires will hold weight for discerning customers but if you're not being SEEN in search then it doesn't matter if you've got a good number of hires, decent reviews and a brilliant Profile and photos. If you're not being SEEN then you're just a ghost.

All of us are familiar with how 'search' works on other platforms. The results near the top of the search are psychologically perceived as being BETTER and more RELEVENT than those further down. That how searches work. With Thumbtack customers expect and trust that Thumbtack will show the Pros most suited for their job near the top. Those are the ones that they focus on.

How many customers have the time on their hands and are really going to be bothered to browse to the 2nd page or 3rd page of the search results, click on you, then reach out to you when there are a whole bunch of Pros higher up in the search results who they perceive as being better and more relevent to the job they need done.

There seems to be very little difference being on the 2nd page, the 3rd page or not in the search results at all. Your chances of being SEEN on the 2nd and 3rd page of the search results is going to be minimal, and that's just the first hurdle. Remember, even if the customer does SEE you they still has to click on you to view your Profile and then they need to explicitly choose to reach out to you.

It's no wonder that Pros (like Reese and countless others on this board) have seen their lead volume plummet with the new system and are struggling to connect to customers. It's so obvious what's going on here.

Cheers,
Laurence.

GeorgeH
Active Community Member

@Meckell.. I hear what you're saying, that Having promote on can definitely make a difference.. but what about when there are only 11 or 12 pro's in your home zip code area listed... My guess would be that you might show up at the bottom... Remeber ... I wasnt showing up at all... Suddenly, after I pointed it out, I was toggled back on..  I really would like some sort of explanation.

I hear you guys say all the time that there are lots of things that can affect your ranking, and it can change often... interesting though... my ranking hadnt changed much since july of last year until march of this year when it vanished.. Now it popped back up again, and for three days now.. it hasnt moved...

I'd like to know what moved it.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@GeorgeH in order for me to see what was going on, I would have needed to see that you weren't appearing, which I didn't see. By the time I looked into your issue, you were appearing in search results and I am not able to replicate what you were seeing before that. As of right now, you're showing up. However, if this does happen again please reach out to us or contact support and we'll dig into things. 

Can you expand more on what ranking you're referring to from July? Search results wasn't rolled out until late last year and that's when ranking came into play. I just want to make sure we're on the same page of things and I'm fully understanding your concerns. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeH
Active Community Member

@Meckellsure... I guess what i meant was that I was visible along with other pro's when I would go look at my competition.  That leads to one of the ore recent developements.. we are no longer able to see our competitors profiles... that's wierd.  Im left wondering how that could be a hindrance..

REgarding my vanishing profile, yes, I am visible right now.  For a period of at least three weeks, I wasnt.  Now  I am back.  What is interesting, is that I am listed in the 4th spot, pretty nice. Honestly, I'm good with that, but I have to ask, what does it take to get to the top?  When I add the hires and the reviews of the number 1, 2, 3, ad 5 spot, I have double of what they all have combined.  I'm guessing they are on Promote,which basically tells me that Promote is more relevant to ranking than performance.  That's the opposite of what we have been told.

I also find it interesting that when my profile popped back up, one of my competitors disappeared.  There are only 11 of us showing in this local area.  Why would any of us drop off?  I am just wondering what the rules are for ranking, and how does it really work... if it's not based on performance, or the number of slots available... then maybe we should rename it from ranking to showing... Wouldnt it be odd if in a race, where 20 people were running, if they only  handed out a gold and silver medal, no bronze, even though all competitors finished the race... maybe it's just me... I know, I've been third in a race, it was nice to be recognized for my achievement albiet, not the gold..

0 Kudos