Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 6
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Make pro pricing and rates more upfront for customers
topic id 24883: Filtering out customers with certain budgets based on pro preferences
StoriesUpSTL
Active Community Member

When Promote doesn't work

I was driving this evening and saw a job post notification on my phone.  I was meeting my wife and 2 children for dinner at a restaurant near our home.  I wasn't able to stop and respond to the job right away.  I did about 6-7 minutes later and the job was no longer available.  Too many pros had already reached out.  I am on Promote for this service (Video Production).  I have been hired 3 times and have 3 x 5 star reviews.

There is a high level of frustration for me with this because I wasn't able to put a bid in and at least get my work samples in front of this individual.  She was looking to do a specific type of video (Client Testimonial) that I do very often and have many samples of.  I might be a little high on price, but I wasn't able to get to that point and find out.

I'm all for competition and I understand that I'm not going to win every job, but it seems like there could be a better way to get a quote or work sample in front of a customer like this, especially when we have Promote turned on.  This seems like a situation where the Thumbtack system failed me.  I didn't lose out on the job.  I never really had a chance. 

I'm currently showing up 6th from the top of the list in her zip code.  The pros above me have 59, 55, 48, 34, and 27 hires.  I'm never going to catch up to them.  So as long as they are using Promote, I'm never going to crack the top 5.

She probably didn't even look at my profile.  She picked 1 of the top 5 Pros on the list and then 6 (or whatever the number is) other pros manually bid on the job in the next 5 minutes.  These are not the 5 most qualified Pros, it's just the five fastest respondents. 

I'm not sure what the solution could be, I'd just rather lose out on jobs that I'm a pretty good fit for because the client doesn't like my work, or the client doesn't like my price, not because I wasn't able to respond right away to a job. 

The only source of comfort I see is that I'm currently getting about a 0.05% response rate from my manual bids (4 out of the past 76), which means she probably wouldn't have seen my quote anyways.

MR
Community Veteran

Re: When Promote doesn't work

TT is not truly a lead generation system in my opinion.. it is more of a matchmaker that puts the buyer in complete control and not the seller. It used to be quite the opposite - which is when the system worked well. Now that the focus has switched, there are many who say the system is not working for them.

I subscribe to several lead generation services. Some are exclusive in that I get first right of refusal before it is passed on to the next pro. The leads are expensive.. but not much more than TT. I get a lot of leads and convert almost all of the cases I want to take. (Some I reject by my own choice.)

Most of the lead generators limit the number of pros to 2 or 3... that's it.. No issue with 10 or 12 pros fighting over the lead.... These are obviously a bit more competitive - but that's ok... The conversion rate for these systems is lower - but so are the costs of the lead. But the conversion rate is way higher than with TT, which for me is near 0% in 2019.

TT needs to get back to this sort of model. Otherwise it becomes an anomoly that will get a lot of button pushers on the buyer side (which translates to dollars for TT) but little competitive value when pros compare and choose the best lead generators for them.

mrs
Active Community Member

Why even if it was 1/5th the price I wouldn't use promote.

While I believe a one of the main issues with Promote and "find a pro list" is pricing it's not the only issue. So for a moment let's assume we're all thrilled with the price and quality of Promote leads.

1) As a pro who performs services at the client's locations. The calendar feature lacks several layers of nuance. I'm not, yes/no, available/not available. I am, "if this then this".

For example next week I am available Monday for no more then 4 hours, with a start time no earlier then 9am and no later then 10am. A 3 hour appointment can start at 10 am etc. Also, I am only available in one subsection of one quadrant(approx. 1/8 of total) of my service area. In addition to those criteria; the appointment doesn't have a window person available, so no jobs with windows. It could also have a person allergic to dogs, possibly no pets too. On Wed I have room for an estimate only and only in a completely different quadrant. On Thursday I have room for a short 2-hour appointment but only if it books before Sat and only in a very tight sub area of my service are. Now if a lead come to my jobs tab that is for Monday in that quadrant ,yes I'm jumping on it. While I do have more openings the week of 14th they are still restricted to "If this then this"

I'd like to note here this is exactly why I chose TT originally I could sift through bid request and target those narrow "if this then this" opening in my schedule.

2) there are several different job types I don't want leads for just one type. And I really don't want which type to be decided by which leads came first.

3) The messages matter A LOT. Sometimes a messages means I won't bid at all , sometimes I bid on a job a normally wouldn't because of the message. I very frequently alter the price based on the contents of the message. I always personalize my message to the clients message. Promote doesn't allow us to react to the message before we paid for the lead.

4) Promote is too time sensitive. You're absolutely right, replying quickly matters. Letting people select me when I'm away from my phone makes it too easy to take 30minutes to 3 hours to reply.

5) Promote encourages clients to spam multiple pros virtually instantaneously

Marcus1
Active Community Member

Thumbtack poor customer service / promote

Hello, my name is Marcus. I'm using Thumbtack for a couple of years, but really started to pay attention to this maybe a month ago. I have promoted my services as graphic design, presentation, photo editing and video editing, but haven't received any requests so far.

Since I started the promotions last week I actually stopped to see more requests and the weird thing is that Thumbtack website stoped to show me any jobs on the job tab as I always could see before that.

For example: I  just received an email saying for example "Joe Doe needs Logo Design near Miami, FL" for example and after I imediatley go to "view job and apply it says "6 pros already quoted on Joe Doe's request." Hoes that possible? and after that thers always a tip to to promote the only type of service I hacen't promoted, while I stopped receiving any other requests of the services I promoted.

At first I tried to chat with  any customer service, and then it says now chat available, please send email. I sent many emails with no answer at all

Please read it carefully in order to understand my issues
thanks

Marcus

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Re: Thumbtack poor customer service / promote

@Marcus1 I want to help you find overall success on Thumbtack. When you promote your service, you still can quote through jobs in the Jobs tab. I see that you've sent three quotes through the Jobs tab since last week and have had two customers reach out to you through search results. When was it that you stopped seeing jobs appear in there?

I want to point out that it's awesome that you've had customers reach out to you through search results. Let's have you try a few things in order to rank higher on search results so customers can see you sooner. Let's first have you start by getting a few more reviews. We allow you to get up to ten reviews from customers you've worked for prior to Thumbtack. Share your review link with them and see if they'd be willing to give you a review! Another thing you can do is add past projects to showcase your work to new customers. Plus, it will help your overall profile completeness and can also help you rank higher! 

Marcus1
Active Community Member

@Meckell
Hi Mekell,

thanks for your prompt response.

The last time I saw any jobs on the jobs tab was lat week. I attached a screenshot from my job tab. At the button of of the tab where you se an envelope that says "incoming jobs will show up here" was a blue menu and it disapeared too.

On the other hand I am just talking to my previous clients to write a review for me and hope I will tehm soon

@Meckell wrote:

@Marcus1I want to help you find overall success on Thumbtack.

When you promote your service, you still can quote through jobs in the Jobs tab. I see that you've sent three quotes through the Jobs tab since last week and have had two customers reach out to you through search results. When was it that you stopped seeing jobs appear in there?

I want to point out that it's awesome that you've had customers reach out to you through search results. Let's have you try a few things in order to rank higher on search results so customers can see you sooner. Let's first have you start by getting a few more reviews. We allow you to get up to ten reviews from customers you've worked for prior to Thumbtack. Share your review link with them and see if they'd be willing to give you a review! Another thing you can do is add past projects to showcase your work to new customers. Plus, it will help your overall profile completeness and can also help you rank higher! 

0 Kudos
Marcus1
Active Community Member

screenshot.jpgthats the screen shot. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Marcus1 that's awesome that you're reaching out to those customers. How often do you think you check the Jobs tab throughout the day? Is there one of your categories in particular that you're noticing a decrease in?

Marcus1
Active Community Member

@Meckell wrote:

@Marcus1that's awesome that you're reaching out to those customers. How often do you think you check the Jobs tab throughout the day? Is there one of your categories in particular that you're noticing a decrease in?

I usually check jobs tab everytime since I work on my computer through the day

Yes, I promoted "Graphic design" and it decreased 

0 Kudos
Marcus1
Active Community Member

Meckell, here's the problem I'm having:
I have just received an email of someone that needs the logo and respond it immediately  and got this answer. It happens all the time with me. It can't be normal. It must be a bug. Please take a look at this screenshot bellow:
Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 4.08.08 PM.png

0 Kudos