Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
Lar
Level 10

Search radius when Promote is off

I have been informed by Thumbtack that if I have Promote off I will show up in customer Searches that are within a 150 miles radius of my location.

My Zip code is 33701 (St Pete FL)

With Promote off I show up in the following zip codes...

33565 - 37 miles away
33525 - 46 miles away
33809 - 50 miles away

... however I don't show up in any Search that is more than 50 miles from my 33701 zip code, such as...

33523 - 52 miles away
33597 - 59 miles away
34736 - 70 miles away 

Question:

If (when Promote off)  I am supposed to show up in Searches within a 150 mile radius of my location why do I only appear in Searches that within a 50 mile radius?

Regards,
Laurence.

21 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Search radius when Promote is off

It's very possible that you can show up in a customers search for customers up to 150 miles away @Lar. Something to keep in mind is the other pros that are in those further zip codes. If the pros in those zip codes have their preferences set, there's a good chance that they're going to show up higher in the list. If there are enough pros who have their preferences set as well as having complete profiles, reviews, ect, you may not be shown. If you're wanting to be shown in those areas, I would recommend promoting your business and expanding your preferences to that distance.  

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 10

@Meckell, when you say...

If there are enough pros who have their preferences set as well as having complete profiles, reviews, ect, you may not be shown.

Enough Pros would therefore be 30 or more Pros, right? That's the maximum number of Pros returned by a Search. If there are 30 or more Pros in a specific area who are closer and therefore a better match than me then I totally understand why I wouldn't appear in that Search.

However, in the zip codes I was searching the Search results returned far less than 30 Pros.

For example, when I do a Search in the 33523 zip code which is 52 miles away the Search results only show 14 Pros. I am not shown in that Search.

Since that Search only returned 14 Pros there are not enough Pros who have their preferences set as well as having complete profiles, reviews, etc. In which case I should be shown.

Why then am I not being shown?

Regards,
Laurence

Moderator Meckell

@Lar this is something I'll indeed have to look into to get you accurate info. I'll be sure to get back to you once I have a solidified answer for this. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 10

Yes @Meckell, please do get back to me. I sent you a PM message yesterday asking this same question which you didn't read. I posted this question publicly today in an effort to get an answer.

Regards,
Laurence.

Moderator Meckell

@Lar I apologize for the delay. I get to the private messages I receive from pros as quickly as I can and I'll be sure to read that over and respond here soon. 

0 Kudos
Lar
Level 10

While you're at it @Meckell see if you can get an answer to a related question I posed here on Tuesday which never got an answer either.

Regards,
Laurence.

Moderator Meckell

@Lar I have been working with our Product Team to get you an answer to that question. I'll respond as soon as I have an answer to share. Thanks for your patience. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeH
Level 8

Lar, that's a great question...  I want to ad a little bit to it that may be just as relevant.  For the past three weeks or so, i was not showing up in searches even in my own zip code. (since I pointed it out, somebody at TT has toggled me on again).  If the cap for searches is 30 pro's like you said, and only 11 or 12 pro's are listed in my zip code, it would seem that even if I had the worst profile, zero reviews, zero hires, etc... I would at least show up last.  I would understand if there were 30 ahead of me with great stats... and I didnt place... But that's not what happened... there are only 11 or 12 of us.. and I was not there.  The guys who were there, most of them are "new to TT".. very low number of hires.. very low number of reviews... Again.. I am showing now... but I havent gotten any explanation for what happened...

@ Meckel...I would appreciated if the response to your questions here are posted here, not just in a private message...

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@GeorgeH if you were not setting your preferences through promoting at the time, then that would be a very big indicator as to why other pros were showing up higher than you in the search results. Setting your preferences is a very big indicator to us and the system as to what jobs you want to show up for in a customers search. Without preferences, we have no way of knowing which jobs you'd say yes to and in turn which customers to show you to.

0 Kudos