Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33701: Fraudulent leads?
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
HansenJC
Level 10

Suggestion: Regionalize the category orientations for Job Posters.

What TT Pros charge in an urban environment is very different than in a rural environment.

The cost estimates that TT presents to the JP should be re-written for TT by Pros in every region. The information should be regionalized so that when a JP searches for the cost estimate for their event or project, they are not shown the cost in an area that is nothing like their costs.

All Pros have examples. When the JP reads a story written by a Home Inspector in Texas which is what they currently see, about what to expect in the way of pricing, that Pro is writing about inspections that are conducted under very different State guidelines than Chicago, or California, or Montana.

Florida inspectors should have their own page that describes cost for some specific inspections that are unique to their state.

Home Inspections is not the only category that has this issue.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
States
0 Kudos
7 responses

Re: Suggestion: Regionalize the category orientations for Job Posters.

@HansenJC thanks for starting this conversation. Do you feel that if a customer does read an article or sees pricing in a completely different state or city from theirs, that they'll then realize there's a locational difference when they begin to actually search and see all similar prices listed by pros in their actual area?

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

@KameronYour question is a good one. As you read my response, remember the TT Tag Line:

"Find local professionals for pretty much anything."

My perceptions are based on my own use of TT and other available data found on the internet. So, the true nature of all users may be all over the spectrum.

I have a feeling that the Job Posters may stop reading or dismiss what they read when they realize it was written in "another state".  If you think globally, would you accept at face value a description of a service that is written by a provider from any country located on the other side of the world? I apply that same thinking to TT Job Posters and their perception of what they read. (Hasn't TT done focus groups on this?)

A second possible reaction (again based on my own world view) is that when there is a clear mismatch between the general description and the prices I see in the quotes from Pros who respond, this produces a "RED FLAG" with all the emotional responses including distrust of the platform based the feeling that there has been some deception or laziness on the part of TT. The longer I work with TT I see it more as laziness. But an initial reaction of a new Job Poster may be one of suspicion.  [The  internet has conditioned us to have our 'scam radar' up on high allert.] ~~ (Again hasn't TT done some focus groups on this?)

The above comments supports my request for the return of custom quotes (using the now lost templates) where we can set the record straight in our first introduction that we make to the Job Poster at the time of quoting. Already, I am forced to add too much to my profile that the reader may stop reading because it is not included in what TT provides.

Specific to Home Inspections, a regionalized description of the job category would introduce the facts about the state requirements for licensing. There are currently 27 state that require a license to be a Home Inspector. The other 23 states do not require a license. That alone should require at least two different category introductions.

And it is far more than prices. Regardless of the likelihood that the Job Poster will recognize that there are regional differences in pricing and be accepting of it, I feel TT should put forth the effort to regionalize the category descriptions in order to be consistent with their advertising theme. All of the Pros that TT represents are Local Pros. And then TT sends the Job Poster from Maine to read about a home inspection in Texas? Isn't that at odds with the theme of TT?  "Find local professionals for pretty much anything"

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections

@HansenJC thank you for your suggestions and thoughts. You mentioned that you'd like to bring quote templates back so that you can set the record straight in your first introduction. Can you expand more on that? With how you quote now, what info is missing that you were able to send with templates that you aren't able to now? 

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

The system timed out as I was writing my reply and I will have to re-write my rather lengthy message. But this is not the first time I have written all of this. Reply to follow. TT need a more robust method to track our request for changes that had a memory of the threads we posted 6 or 12 months ago.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

@Meckell

I am currently using Promote. And when a Job Poster does not select me from the roughly 30 profiles of Home Inspectors in my area that they are shown by TT, then the only way for me to quote that request is from the Jobs Tab.

When I send quotes from the Jobs Tab I will only send a fixed price quote. Inspections are not done on a $/hour basis. And I will not send a “Needs More Information” quote because that is an invitation to be charged by TT with very low potential of really having a meaningful dialog that results in winning the job.

A Fixed Price quote is not a custom quote. So I must then do one or more follow up messages. I and many other Pros do not believe the JP is reading follow-up messages because they are never sent a notification from TT to look for them.

I am really asking for a custom quote so that I may address the unanswered questions.

• The age of the house is critical to an accurate quote from me and TT has removed that question from the screening process. Right now, the only question given to the JP is the size of the house. So, I must communicate the fact that older homes cost more. That additional cost would be included in my Fixed Price quote if I have known the age of the house. Home inspections are not a one-size-fits-all commodity.
  • Wood decks are a major structural item that require significant extra work when doing the inspection and extra time to write the report. (Very few woods decks are built correctly and present a significant safety hazard. They also decay from age. See note on age of the house above.)
  • Detached buildings such as garages are not included in the base price. This is a matter of the State Standards of Practice. I would offer to inspect a detached building or garage if the customers mention them. A detached garage or outbuiding would be an additional charge.
  • A Radon inspection is NOT included in my Fixed Price quote. I would mention this in a custom quote. In the past, in reply to a message from a JP I was charged to simply tell a JP the cost of a Radon Inspection was additional. Had it been in the message attached to the initial quote, they would have not needed to ask. Their question “Is a Radon inspection included in the price?” may have been a negotiating tactic of theirs, but they would have not have needed to even ask if I could include this information in the message along with the initial quote.
  • I am unable to see exactly what message is sent by TT with a fixed price quote. And I would prefer my initial message to be written by me to give the JP the understanding that I read their request. And I want my message to be in my voice.
  • Even if the JP reads every quote and every follow up message, (I doubt it) the follow-up templates are only 500 characters. So I have had to write two messages in recent situations. So, it appear to the JP that I am not presenting a complete picture in the initial quote. This lowers the level of trust.
  • I have only been selected by one JP and I think that was when Instant Match was being used prior to Promote. YAY! That was the last job I have landed in many months ago. But I do not recall how that quote appeared then. The system has changed. So I do not know what a quote would work like if it were to happen today from a JP who selected me. [This is a good reason to find a way for the Pros to test the system]

I simply want to write quality quotes, not checkbox quotes.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: Suggestion: Regionalize the category orientations for Job Posters. _ Quote Templates and Custom

@Meckell  I hope this is not drifting too far off-topic, but another key feature of quote templates that has been lost is the fact that with quote templates I had been able to attach a sample inspection report (PDF file) which provided the Job Poster with a complete picture of what my talent, skills, and experience would provide.

Currently, the template messages  of 500 characters that may be used as a follow-up communications after the initial quote, do not allow attachments. This requires me to manually attach the report to a follow-up message and I would not even attempt this on my phone because I do not believe that my phone service will allow such large files to be attached to messages. In the past, I was able to use my phone for quoting but that functionality is now only suited for commodity quotes.

I am not a commodity, and my inspection reports demonstrate that.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion: Regionalize the category orientations for Job Posters. _ Quote Templates and Custom

@HansenJC thank you for going into more detail about this. As always, your feedback will be passed along. 

0 Kudos