Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Hankster
Level 10

The Budget Question Has Changed

I noticed this week for budgets in the DJ category that are under the $300 range & the $300-$400 range that this blurb in parenthesis is now in place 'typically only for brief events'. What does TT consider time wise a brief event in the DJ category? I would be willing to bet adding that blurb was not a suggestion made by any DJ service pro out there. So, whoever heads up the DJ category would know what is considered a brief event in TT's eyes & should be able to share that with us here in the Community Forums. A lead that was in my Jobs tab this week had a $300-$400 budget for a 5-hour DJ event. Sorry but that is not a brief event. To me anything under an hour is a brief event. I’ve never had a DJ gig for an hour or less. I wouldn’t even want a gig like that because more than likely it’s not going to be a high paying gig.

0 Kudos
26 responses
DJStevie
Level 12

Re: The Budget Question Has Changed

@Hankster 

I saw this the other day and thought it was a glitch..

I hope that this add on wasn't suggested by other DJ pros either. If it was, please provide the names that suggested it. I'm curious to know what their definition of a brief event it. Personally,  I know that a 5 hour event isn't a brief event. I'm also curious as to what Thumbtack defines a brief event. As you said, a brief event would be for an hour or less, and just like you, I will not book those events. It takes more time to set up then to DJ.

Below is what came into my Jobs Tab today.

Screenshot_2019-06-22 Quoting Page - Thumbtack.png

DJ Stevie 6-22-2019

Hankster
Level 10

Thank you @DJStevie for that screen shot. I didn't have any jobs in my jobs tab. Thumbtack customers who think a 3, 4, 5 or 6 hour DJ  event is brief have no doggone clue as to what goes into a DJ event. 

DJStevie
Level 12

You're very welcome @Hankster 

I have DJ'd some local charity events for 2 hours, and that MAY be considered as brief. But  to be told that 5 hours is a brief event, I agree with you in that they don't  know what really goes into our DJ services(Set-up, mic/sound/light testing, break-down, travel, and sometimes ceremonial music, etc)?? All they have to do is ask every DJ Pro.

DJ Stevie 6-23-2019

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Hankster thank you for starting this conversation and letting us know your thoughts about this. As always, your feedback will be passed on to the appropriate team. 

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Meckell
Question is, why was that added to customer budget, when what , @Hankster, myself and other DJs do isn't brief? We just want "customer" budget to match our fees.
DJ Stevie 6-24-2019
0 Kudos
Hankster
Level 10

@Meckell That's my point as well @DJStevie. My questions. Why would the person in charge of the DJ category think that would be an important item to add? To me it makes no sense. Again what is considered a brief event in the DJ category according to Thumbtack?
Moderator Meckell

@DJStevie @Hankster I'm happy to give you more clarification on this. A common complaint we heard from pros in the past is that customers expect great service and very low prices. So this was put in place to simply educate customers that they probably shouldn't expect to pay $300 unless their event is brief. This is designed to help improve the experience for pros and educate customers. 

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Meckell 

Thanks for trying to clarify, but I'm very confused. I never have heard once in my time at Thumbtack that DJ's or other Pros complaining that "customers" want great service at low prices. If there are any DJ's out there who would like to chime in, please do.

The complaint that I have read in threads in recent months is that "customers" very low budget isn't in any of the Pros pricing preferences, so this doesn't help at all.

"A common complaint we heard from pros in the past is that customers expect great service and very low prices."--This contradicts what you are saying with "So this was put in place to simply educate customers that they probably shouldn't expect to pay $300 unless their event is brief. This is designed to help improve the experience for pros and educate customers."

So now, with the example that I gave in this thread, does Thumbtack really believe that a 5 hour event is brief? If so, please explain.  And how does this improve my experience. It's not improving my experience at Thumbtack at all. And as for the "customer", all it's telling them is to expect service for cheap. Grant it, I work with "customers" and their budget and family situations, but that should be left for me to communicate with the "customers", not have "customers" expect a low price for 4, 5 + hours in their profile and event info. This, in essence, is slowly taking away my being personable as I've mentioned to you late last year.

As "customers", we all want low prices with great service, but this is my livlihood, and I do need to make a profit, as I'm sure @Hankster and other DJ's and Pros do. Thumbtack is telling me what to charge, it's there in my example. So now, we have to charge much less so "customer" can expect great service for a low price, while we still pay high lead costs, and if you add it all up, along with travel time, set up/break down, and everything that goes into a DJ service, we barely survive.

I'm trying to keep this relevant and not let my frustration get the better of me again, but when changes like this occurs to help the "customer" instead of the Pro, I can't help but continue to get frustrated.

DJ Stevie 6-25-2019

Hankster
Level 10

@Meckell

"So, this was put in place to simply educate customers that they probably shouldn't expect to pay $300 unless their event is brief. This is designed to help improve the experience for pros and educate customers". Really? This certainly doesn't improve the experience for me or any DJ service pro. How is this educating customers exactly? When they fill out the request there is no indication anywhere on what the meaning of a brief event is. I just filled out a request which I didn't submit. I wanted to see for myself. Below is what I just saw. I'm not seeing anything that educates the customer on what a brief event is. So, I ask for the 3rd time. What does TT consider a brief event in the DJ category? Someone there has to know because whoever the appropriate team was that just implemented this change in the last week or so feels that it was a winning idea & ran with it. Well it's not! Why does TT keep diluting the product & make the service pro experience such a difficult process? Just when you think TT is turning the corner & moving forward TT takes another step or two back. Wow! My suggestion is to get rid of that statement immediately if not sooner in the next update please, please, please! 

Hankster 6/25/19

Annotation 2019-06-25 190131.jpg