Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
Highlighted

Way to create your own acceptable distance for customers?

Does anyone know if there's a way to filter out leads that are outside of an acceptable distance from the business?

Recently, a large portion of my budget for leads has been eaten away at by prospective students (I'm a private teacher) entering distances that they're willing to travel that are way too far out for recurring work. Repeatedly after informing the students of my location, they say things like, "Sorry that's too far away!" The problem is that they entered their distance that they're willing to travel as being in range, and I'm automatically paying for that lead when it matches with me.

I'd like to set the range myself that I'm willing to accept (i.e. only students within 10 miles qualify meet my criteria for automatic payment, for instance). If this doesn't exist, is there an avenue proposing a change/feature to Thumbtack? IMO, leads should only be paid for automatically for meeting both the customer's AND the business's criteria.

Occupations (1)
States
12 responses

Re: Way to create your own acceptable distance for customers?

@CordellMusicLLC thank you very much for sharing. While pros have their radius set for how far they are willing to travel we didn't want this to negate customers that are willing to travel to the pro when they are outside of that radius. I can certainly understand your frustration though when a customer puts in the number of miles they are willing to travel to then say differently when communicating with you in the messenger. If you'd be willing to share some examples of this with me I'd be able to pass along your feedback.

0 Kudos

Sure,

One example that happened recently was with a gentleman who contacted me with what of the simple, click-to-contact options "What time works for a call?" on February 3rd. I responded with a heads up of my exact location to make sure that I was in range for him, and he responded with:

"Yikes, that's a serious hike. I'm up north [outside of the city]. Dont think [your location] in range given the traffic and work schedules. Thanks for the reply but I think I'll have to find another option. Smiley Happy"

This is only one of the examples where I actually received a response. The last two automatic leads that were sent to me (where I paid) are also well out of the city, where students listed their range as anywhere within 25 miles. I don't know if it's just carelessness on the customer's part when putting in their range, but if I'm to be paying for these leads, I think I should have more control over which customers fit my criteria as well. Any advice?

@CordellMusicLLC thanks for getting back to me with that example, if you would please send me a direct message with the customer's name I can take a closer look and use it when I share the feedback. As for a way to help avoid these, I'd recommend putting some sort of statement to customers in your profile about being sure that if they want to choose you to be wary of the distance they'd need to travel. 

0 Kudos

I'll certainly do so, but correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't some of these matches made automatically? I'm not sure what the customer sees on their end, or if there's any action that they need to take in order for an automatic match to be made. Where specifically can I update my profile to warn the customer about my location so that they'll see it before a match is made triggering payment on my end?

I must say, the old way was a bit better from our (Thumbtack client's) end, where we could choose which leads to go after. While I appreciate automation, I feel like I have less control over where my money is going.

Thank you for understanding my concern and your time.

@CordellMusicLLC on the new customer experience they'll be adding filters and information to see which pros are likely a good fit for them and then they can reach out when they'd like. If you haven't already I'd recommend going on Thumbtack as a customer to see things from the other side of the fence. I'd put either in your intro or possibly in your FAQs, but ultimately wherever you think is best. 

0 Kudos
designsby
Level 5

Zip code issues

Is there a way we can properly match job that is in the same zip code (if required) for sit down or face to face meetings? I have people from the east coast (I’m in California), southern states and a few north asking if I’m in their state. Does thumbtack not show where exactly the pro is located? I’ve lost out on a bunch of leads now, worth a couple hundred dollars worth, because they wanted to meet someone in their town. Anyone have insight on this?
0 Kudos
V-Sing
Level 5

Re: Zip code issues

This is the same issue that several of us have complained about here.  I posted about it a couple of times.  

0 Kudos

@designsby thanks for flagging this. We've been occasionally hearing reports of this where a customer may have selected the working remotely via phone or internet option without realizing it to then tell the pro that they were looking for local. If you have some recent examples of this, please reach out to me in a direct message and include those customer names so I can take a closer look for you. 

0 Kudos
liliyon
Level 4

Can you please tell me how to change my travel preferences.  It's defaulted again the the entire state of California it seems.  I've looked all the site and can't seem to find it.  Thanks.

0 Kudos