Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: zero business 2019

You just told my story too. Thank you.

ajktsb
Level 4

My thboughts exactly. I've been a TOP PRO and succesful here until they changed these methods. They are terrible! Probably leaving TT soon. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for the quality of leads anymore. It seems like every change is made to automate billing me for somehting and yet not providing me info on my leads. We used to be told when someone viewed our quote. Now we don't even get that. Ridiculous to say the least. I've spent several hours on the phone with one of their "coaches" on several occasions and keep getting the same answers that it's going to work. NO IT ISN'T.

Pricing feels like it has gotten literally insane. For video production/weddings, I see prices around $38 a lead for a job that pays $400-700. And that's IF they are serious and IF you get hired. That's not a one off, either.

Honestly, I've gotten a lot of business from Thumbtack over the past few months. A lot of solid clients, some of them now regulars of mine--but it has just dried up, even more than normal, the past few months.

TT is way too enabling to customers/leads. It's wild that there isn't a better way of qualifying them before they contact us.

Given how bad things got, I just set my Promote to basically price out all the tire kickers. I get fewer leads, but it's better than paying almost $40 for someone who is never going to follow up with you.

You are NOT alone! I've been looking into alternative sites for business.

Since April things dried up. I too have been a Thumbtack Top Pro since 2014 and regularly quoted on multiple jobs daily.

Then notifications went out that TT was going to improve the preferences....improve them to what? Nothing?

I've been in touch with support on an ongoing basis for about 6 weeks off and on..of course I do have better things to do then to take screenshots of what I've been seeing on multiple platforms, I actually have been trying to reign in business to stay alive. I stopped recieving email notifications & text messages..nothing at all! I went in as soon as I noticed it and changed all of my preferences to recieve everything at any time and still NOTHING!

Please Thumbtack, work as our partner instead of making us feel like WE are doing something wrong! Clean your cache, close your windows, restart your computer, etc...I've been told the same thing over and over..I work with computers daily...those were the first steps I took before contacting support.

Tech support said it was a BUG and I would get notified when it was resolved, that was last week..I was also told I could not have a copy of the transcript of the lengthy conversation we had to due privacy and security, and going forward I should take screenshots of the conversation!!! WHAT???  I believe it's called transparency, and how do you constantly take screenshots during an hour long dialog??

For over 5 years Thumbtack has been a fantastic resource for self-employed people to build their own business, a very valued partner. I really hope that it continues, something has changed and it has definitely not been for the better.

BarisGraphics
Full Time Freelance Graphic Design.
On time and on budget!
DCFGCatering
Level 8

I sent my first quote in 2019 yesterday.

It was 75.00 and it’s been 12 hours and no response.
Thumbtack said he was only interested in me

Jesus take the wheel...

I too have experienced something similar.  I was a "top pro" for at least two years.   I have 36  five-star reviews and 55 hires.  I used to use Thumbtack to get a good percentage of my customers.  I tried searching  (like a potential customer) my specialty "headshot photography" in my zip code, and discovered that I am completely invisible.  Pages and pages of photographers who have less reviews, who are not even close to my  geographical area (zip code) pop up in the search, but I am nowhere to be found.  

I can't remember the last time I booked anything from Thumbtack.  Now all my business comes organically from my 5-star reviews on Yelp and Google and from word-of-mouth.  

At some point, they lost their way.  Too bad.  

Awickedwand
Level 4

I’ve never been top rated pro-but I got some decent leads and some great clients. But it seems that since tt made changes I’ll never raise my status because the only leads or requests I’m getting are coming from waaaayyy out of my range - not just towns and major cities away, but states away. And there doesn’t seem to be any way for me (that I can find) to pre-set my travel range anymore so that I only get leads from within selected zips. The result? Also Zero jobs via tt.
Shame.
Moderator Kameron

@Awickedwand let's get your travel range setup. To do so you just need to visit your services page HERE, then click on the service you offer that you'd like to set a travel range for. Setting your preferences will mean that you accept exact matching leads automatically along with receiving that large rank boost in the search results. You can learn more about setting your preferences in this article here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/travel-preferences.

0 Kudos
Awickedwand
Level 4

Hi, thanks for your reply. My travel preferences by specific service were set ages ago. I just checked them in case they were somehow reset- they are intact. So that’s not the issue.
Im looking for a way for thumbtack to once again recognize my preferences as tt used to so that tt stops sending me leads from cities and states away. I’m still getting them from Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania- etc- I’m at most a one to 2 person show out of Brookfield ct- I’m not driving 2-4 hours each way to paint a bedroom.
Is it that tt isn’t getting leads coming from my ‘hood anymore and is just tossing me non-viable leads so the numbers look good? Like “hey, we sent u 5 leads this week- not our problem if you don’t accept...”
And even those leads that maybe could be doable turn out to be non-viable as they all show another pro was contacted so I’m shut out from having a chance to make contact. Basically, I ignore tt these last months and rely on my local reputation and client referrals, and while I’m busier than ever and can barely keep up with demand even working 7 days a week, I want to grow my biz and hoped tt would help me do that. Again, Zero biz from tt.
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@Awickedwand apologies if there's some confusion here, but I just double checked and your preferences are not in place. If you look through the link I provided to your services page you'll see that each service has a "continue setup" or "promote" option listed which means that either your preferences have not been finished being set up or that they are currently paused.

Is it possible that you are conflicting leads and travel preferences with the secondary opportunities shown to you in your Jobs tab? Those opportunities are for instances where a customer has reached out to another pro but where you can express interest in the job as well. These will be up to 150 miles away, but you can use the filter on the page to sort for ones closer to you. 

0 Kudos