Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 578: Only Pay For Contacted Leads?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
Highlighted
Community Manager LydiaH
Community Manager

Are you self made? Reply for a chance to WIN! #MyThumbtackStory

Hey pros! You may have noticed a new video on our homepage showcasing some of our self made pros!

We want to hear from you: do you consider yourself self made? Who has helped you get to where you are? Reply here for a chance to win $50 in Thumbtack credit!

3 responses
MYteddydog1
Level 6

Re: Are you self made? Reply for a chance to WIN! #MyThumbtackStory

I a man definitely a self made builder . I started out as a carpenters helper at  the age of twelve ! Actually it was a builders helper ,as I learned how to build a house from the ground up ! This was back when you did everything from the foundation to the painting and trim and everything in between . Even building windows ! I was later on able to work in the electrical and plumbing fields and mastered those trades also . I have been doing this work for over forty years and completed mabyw complete projects including cabinet building . I am almost seventy and not nearly ready to stop !

MYteddydog1
Level 6

I am 

definitely a self made builder . I started out as a carpenters helper at  the age of twelve ! Actually it was a builders helper ,as I learned how to build a house from the ground up ! This was back when you did everything from the foundation to the painting and trim and everything in between . Even building windows ! I was later on able to work in the electrical and plumbing fields and mastered those trades also . I have been doing this work for over forty years and completed mabyw complete projects including cabinet building . I am almost seventy and not nearly ready to stop !

0 Kudos
pianoman435
Level 4

I am a piano technician, that means I tune, repair, rebuild & have gone to school & furthered my education about pianos. How they are built, who built them, when was the Golden age of piano building in this country. Initially I learned piano tuning & Repair as a way to work my way through college (I had a stepfather who was a piano tech). By the time I could make a living at it I had a family & a going business that I enjoyed. Unlike most of the others in my business I am NOT a musician. I play some guitar & sing well but have never done either professionally. That made it much more difficult to build my business because I had no professional contacts to build on. When I initially had the idea it hadn't occurred to me (I was 18) that I would need professional contacts. So I advertised in all of the weekly newspapers surrounding my area which brought me zero results! I was working other jobs that allowed me time to tune. Eventually I got a job, well a position as tuner-tech for a music store. Position because I was a private contractor which after a few months became a commissioned sales position. I did that for about 18 months then began tuning more than selling. I got busy doing work for another store that helped me get a school contract. I was able to turn that school contract into a gold mine, they needed several pianos repaired over the summer. They gave my name to locals who called looking for a tuner & I was still tuning for that store. About then I began tuning for another store, the first store was in a small town about 40 miles from the large city where the 2nd store was/is. The first store closed about 6 months later, I had been tuning full time for 2-3 years at that point. I spent another 8 years doing shop work in my basement before I was able to build a garage an oversized garage that had room for my piano shop. I then had room to rebuild which includes completely dismantling grand & some upright pianos for new pinblock, re-stringing, replacement of hammers & action parts, in some cases total replacement of all action parts. I will be 70 the 26th of this month & I have no plans to retire, cut down on my tuning schedule perhaps but only to spend more time in the shop!
0 Kudos