Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 23308: Hefty charge for a dead-lead
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 17313: Thumbtack pricing for professionals
topic id 16038: Quote pricing calculations

Promote Feature

I would like to ask the other pros in the forum who is a fan of the promote feature and why. Also who is not a fan and why? I'm asking to find out if my thoughts on it are in line with the rest of the community or am. I out in left field?
Occupations (1)
States
12 responses
Lar
Level 9

Re: Promote Feature

I think you'll find that 'left field' is a very crowded place @Bateshandyman. Lot's of 'batters' are striking out, some are stuck on base and hitting a 'home run' is bloody hard against the current pitcher.

I agree with you that Promote has problems. I share your frustration. I made a post related to Promote. Here's an interim workaround which alleviates some of the problems.

Promote was clearly introduced to leverage the 80% of end-user visitors to TT who previously didn't participate in revenue generation.

I don't know (but I imagine it to be so) that Promote has been very good for TT's bottom line. TT may change Promote in the future, they may take some of our suggestions on board. They'll crunch their numbers and see what anticipated effect any changes may have on their bottom line. If they think a change will have a positive effect then they'll probably introduce it. If they think it will have a  negative impact then they won't.

Things may get better for us Pro's in the future. Things may get worse. For TT, like most businesses, it's all about the bottom line.

If you, I, or any of the Pro's on here decide go elsewhere with our lead generating dollars I don't think it much matters to TT in the grand scheme of things. Sure, no business likes to lose customers and I'm sure that TT wants to keep as many Pro's on board as possible. However, businesses lose customers all the time, it's expected. I'm sure TT fully expect that the recent changes will cause some Pro's to go elsewhere.

The lead generating market is huge though. There will be plenty of new TT Pro's signing up to TT to replace of Pro's that leave.

Regards,
Laurence.

DJStevie
Level 9

@Bateshandyman 

I'm not a fan of Promote.  I've repeated that over and over in the Forum, via phone, on line chat, etc. And as @Lar said, you aren't alone in Left Field. Tried Promote a couple of times, the latest was for a 3 week stretch at the advice of a rep. I did everything she suggested (add more reviews, get more hires, update profile, etc) and nothing. Yet, I don't hear Thumbtack mentioning my negative trial. Also, I've given many comments as to how I've felt and what is wrong. I know that I've repeated myself over and over, but maybe, just maybe, someone will finally listen and tell higher ups that there is a problem.

As a DJ, I need to see customer profile, Event information, lead cost, etc ahead of time before I decide if customer is a good fit for me.  I was told that Promote came to be because 80% of customers weren't seeing any Pros contacting them. Now, with Promote on, it feels that 80% of Pros aren't seeing customers contacting them. More Pros are complaining in the Forum, so it's not the typical few anymore.

@Laris correct when he says if Thumbtack feels if change will be positive for them then it will happen, and the same for if they feel it will be negative for them. We as Pros do not come into play, but that's my opinion.

Other Platforms are in play for me now. Where I was a success for almost a year, it's been dry for a few months now. Sure, I've gotten a few bookings, but it's through the manual system. Whenever I mention it to them, they don't applaud me, better yet, it's rare that they do.

I've given many suggestions over and over. Sure, I get told that feedback is passed on, but where's the proof? When I worked private sector, and had suggestions to give, my manager always sent me a copy of the email as proof. Even if nothing came of a suggestion, at least I had proof that I was being heard.

With that said, let's see what next week's Q&A with Marco brings. Will he answer ALL of the questions posed to him, or will the questions be filtered?

Moderator Meckell

@Bateshandyman @Lar @DJStevie thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding promote. As stated in past conversations we've had with you all, your feedback has been noted. I do want to add that we are overall seeing a healthier marketplace for both pros and customers with promote. It wouldn't make sense for us to keep it around if it wasn't successful. With that being said, we know it’s not perfect and we understand that there are improvements that need to be made. We’re open to change and appreciate all of the feedback we’ve received.

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 9

@Meckell 

Not to start an argument, but can you elaborate as to how healthy the marketplace is with Promote on? Any statistics to prove it, besides telling us that 80% of customers weren't being contacted by Pros? The way it is now, just my opinion, is that 80% of Pros are now in that category, not being contacted. I gave my stat the other day to prove again why it's not working for me.

While we're at it, seems like the lead costs have increased again. Yesterday I turned down a DJ job that would have cost me $40. Who creates that? I turned down one the other day for $32(with Promote on)

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@DJStevie I don't have direct numbers to share, however, we are overall seeing that more customers are getting projects done and more pros are getting hired. 
I understand that you aren't finding success with promote, and we are listening to your concerns. 

If you can send me a private message with examples of the leads that have increased prices, I'll look into it and send them to our team. One thing to keep in mind is that prices will fluctuate depending on the overall value of the job and demand in your area. 

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 9

@Meckell 

From reading the comments in the Forum, it seems not many Pros are getting hired, but that's just my opinion.

As for the leads, I will send you a private message.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Meckell it makes perfect sense for y'all to keep it around simply because Thumbtack gets to collect more money that way. If it's such a success explain to me why in the forum im not seeing anybody talking about how great the promote feature is all I see in the form is people complaining about it show me a post in the forum for somebody saying it's working for them I'll wait. The only thing I've read praising the promote feature is coming from admin

I'm sorry I stand corrected I just read 1 praising it on this discussion but that's only 1 out of how many?
JSGDS
Level 7

I'm in right field on this one!  I like the fact that I can turn it on and off.  When the schedule starts looking thin and I know ill be responding to every lead that comes through on TT I'll turn on promote so I can save $$$ but when my schedule starts getting full I simply turn it off so I can be more selective with my leads.  This system works very well for us.   

0 Kudos