Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 17313: Thumbtack pricing for professionals
topic id 16038: Quote pricing calculations
topic id 16031: Fixed Rates vs Hourly Rates
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 578: Only Pay For Contacted Leads?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices

Re: Top pros

The views have to be inflated. I turned off the ability to auto bid or get charged when they direct message me. All I got were Indian call center scammers. Then I would have to contact support and get a "refund". A credit is not a refund.

I also miss the days when clients were forced to put a phone number and a budget. Like I want to pay $50 for a a chance to talk to a website lead who has only a $200 budget or no phone number to actually follow up with.

labelle339
Level 4

Please shout louder for those at the back!!!!
I miss phone numbers and BUDGET disclosures. Right now,its a complete joke! I dont even know how I made it to top pro. I mean, i know the quality of my work is good,but thumbtack hires suck!
0 Kudos
RCPS
Level 6

Well, my concern and fear was confirmed today when I got an email saying that I lost my Top Pro status. I’ve had only one hire since all of the new changes on this platform. Can’t get reviews without hires. Ugh. After being 50+ times with 5-star reviews, this was disappointing. This week I’ve only had 19 views. Compared to over 500 last month. This was all on Promote. But still only one qualified lead which turned into the one hire. This is especially difficult because I recently relocated and am in an entirely new market.
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

I hate hearing that you guys aren't finding success with the new system. We're listening and are here to help you in any way that we can. If you want me to look into your profile and give you any tips, I'm more than happy to do so. Just send me a private message and we can get started! 

0 Kudos

@Meckell, why wait til someone PM's you?  99% of the pros here still have no idea how the system runs. 200,000 pros on TT, 10k on the community boards, TT should be proactively reviewing Pro accounts and then telling them what they should do/change to see more quotes.! What gets me is the 485 views and 7 leads....how is that even possible???? If it was 100 views and 20 leads, I'd say, yeah, that ratio is 20% and well within sales parameters. 

Highlighted
RCPS
Level 6

@Meckell, from where I stand, the Pros' online profiles aren't the issue at all (at least for the previously successful ones).  It's simply the new, ineffective system.  This has turned into basically having a Yelp listing.  Why is it that SO many of us who have previously been SO successful on Thumbtack are now ALL experiencing the same thing - lots of 'views,' minimal or no contact/leads, and if/when there is a contact, the so-called lead ghosts you (with a high price, at that).  Reading @ChefPaulStaley's updated thread just now really broke my heart.

Here's a nugget: the most successful companies reduce friction for its customers.  They listen to their customers (aka us PROs, not passer-by's on the internet).  We are telling Thumbtack loud and clear what the issue is - with each and every post we craft, email we send, or phone call we make.  Clearly, the new system isn't working out - this not a mere coincidence for hundreds of Pros. 

Thumbtack should be on the ball with seeing how this isn't working and being responsive with solutions that will give Pros success again.  And I'm not talking about the moderators on this board.  I know that they're doing their best and are literally caught in the middle - they are working within the constraints that these new updates are creating for everyone.  I get that.  I'm talking about the executive team, business development leaders, product owners and managers, and software engineers.  I can't possibly believe that from a data standpoint, the number of jobs requests being produced and the number of hires are any higher than before these changes were made.  What is the data saying?

Over the past couple of years, I've had great experiences with other service-based tech startups (like ConvertKit and Dubsado) - they listen to their customers (as in whom their revenue is directly generated from), customers' feedback, and are extremely nimble with responses and updates/upgrades that make the most sense for these customers.  They really take care of their customers especially if something is not working - and they take care of it VERY quickly.  The key theme here is about experience - providing a great experience for the customers that keeps your business going.  Experiences that make customers proudly want to refer their colleagues to.  Between the hundreds & hundreds of negative feedback shared within this forum and outside review websites, the Thumbtack Pro experience has drastically changed over the past 6-8 months - and very much for the worse.  This is not rocket science - Thumbtack needs to do a better job of listening.  Do something - hold a virtual open house where we get to interact with the folks I mentioned above, hold a LIVE Q&A session, or pull together a concentrated panel of the most vocal Pros to better understand what's going wrong and how it's affecting our business at this time.  A constructive discussion without canned responses or glossing over the issue at hand is what needs to take place.  Again, this isn't rocket science, folks.  Actually practice what you preach and present some meaningful engagement opportunities so this can get turned around.  We can all do it - together.

I don't know how to more clearly express this sentiment.  I have been extremely frustrated with Thumbtack as of late but have been hanging in because I remember my glory days with this service.  I keep hoping and praying things will go back to what it used to be or at the very least, undo the most recent changes because again, this just isn't working.  It's so disappointing and I'm adjusting my marketing dollars for 2019 because, unfortunately, I can't depend on this resource like I used to.  I hope that changes in the future.

djblaxx
Level 6

@RCPS

Well Said. Well Said. @Meckell the same issues that @RCPS speaks of are on my mind and is frustrating. My business has dried up. I have nothing much to look forward to in January 2019. So I am looking at other websites to land more gigs. And by doing so, I landed a few more. I do not know how much longer I can work with Thumbtack if there is not a revision in the system.

RCPS
Level 6

Thanks, @djblaxx - I know a majority of us are feeling this way, so thanks for echoing that.  I'm so glad to hear that you've found alternative lead generation sources that are already working for you.  Unfortunately, for my specialty (personal wardrobe styling), Thumbtack is the only service I'm aware of that even has this category (at this time).  While I don't depend on Thumbtack for my business exclusively, the numbers don't lie - it was a notable portion of my revenue generation over the past two years.  This was because the prior business model, while not 100% perfect, was significantly better to this new Promote model and the pricing was so affordable for a small business / solopreneur.

This needs to be fixed for a lot of us!

fitcap
Level 7

I AGREE RCPS !!!

YOU SAID:

profiles aren't the issue at all (at least for the previously successful ones).  It's simply the new, ineffective system.  

jcp
Level 8

ChefPaul wrote that because I contacted him because Thumbtack sent out a December newsletter to "inspire" us and did a profile on him and two others.  I didn't beleive their stories of success with Thumbtack so I reached out to these people and asked directly.  The two I reached out to told me the same thing . . . .   they no longer use Thumbtack and their businesses suffered great loss in the changes.  They were both surprised that Thumbtack sent out a December 2018 newsletter promoting their profiles when their profiles were written over a year ago - the photographer was over 2 years ago.  And in both - are unhappy.  Unhappy.  But Thumbtack sent out a December Newsletter promoting these people.  Awful.  I would love for the entire TT community to know this.  Trust me - I was a loyal, successful Top Pro.  I am not out to destroy - I am out to educate and remain hopeful that TT returns to some of the tools that made this platform successful.  I loved it!  It is so disappointing.  Mostly disappointing to read all the stories of those who have suffered losses in a system that really once helped their business grow.