Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted

Closing leads? Anyone?

Hey folks, I seem to be paying for leads from Thumbtack, but still have not been hired. Not sure how that is supposed to be mutually beneficial???
Is there any advice anyone can provide on how to close theses weak leads?
Occupations (1)
States
9 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Closing leads? Anyone?

@NashvilleJason I'm happy you reached out! I definitely want you to see success. Your profile looks great, and the messages you send to customers are full of great information about what you offer. Keep it up! A few things that I think would really help you is getting more reviews and improving your response time.

The most popular pros in your area have as many as 85 reviews, so pushing to get a few more would be helpful! Remember that you're able to get up to 10 reviews from customers outside of Thumbtack. This article here has more information on that. 

We've seen that responding quickly really does help pros. If you’re the first pro a customer hears from, you have a better chance of getting hired. In fact, pros who respond to customers within one hour are almost twice as likely to hear back. Your current average response time is about four hours, which is still great considering you have a 100% response rate! However, I would aim to respond quicker if you can. 

0 Kudos

Yes, my job prevents me from responding right away. It's virtually impossible to respond right away. I am reaching out to clients about more reviews as well. I've shut down all my promotions until then. No sense in paying for weak leads right now. I would think that a true lead would come with contact information...why is that not the case?

Moderator Meckell

@NashvilleJason That's great to hear that you're reaching out to past customers about reviews, let me know how that goes! We definitely want the money you spend to be worth it and have valuable interactions with customers. As far as receiving customer's contact information, that's something we have heard from pros. At this time, we don’t require phone numbers because a lot of customers are reluctant to provide them. Customers don’t want to be bombarded with calls from multiple pros, and when we’ve required phone numbers in the past we’ve lost a lot of potential customers. We want to connect you with as many customers as possible, and the best way to do that is to make the customer experience easy and stress-free. That means allowing customers to share their phone numbers when they’re ready, on their own terms. However, we're definitely evaluating our options on this. Be sure to check out our recent post, Keeping you in the (feedback) loop: May edition, to get more context on this. 

0 Kudos

I’ve been with TT for many years and have to agree the quality of the leads have not been what they used to be. I hope things get better soon or I’ll have to get another job!
BarisGraphics
Full Time Freelance Graphic Design.
On time and on budget!

@Barisgraphics wrote:
I’ve been with TT for many years and have to agree the quality of the leads have not been what they used to be. I hope things get better soon or I’ll have to get another job!

I'm right there with you. I've only been with TT for... hmmm, maybe a year or two? But I've definitely seen leads drop off and get ridiculously low, like clients wanting brand new website designs for under $500 (typically only for minor work), and then the ones that I do reach out/send estimates to don't respond. Personally, I'm currently looking into additional work to supplement my freelance design business (or replace it or something... perhaps full-time and then turn my freelance into a nights/weekend thing). Just can't make a living off of these super low budgets. With my overhead, I know my break even rate, which is higher than a lot of pros are charging (I notice you're doing $180 logos -- WAY lower than what I would charge, so I can't compete with that, for example; the absolute lowest I'm willing to charge is 3 hours/$300 for a basic type treatment with a simple accompanying icon... no research, only 1 option, etc.). A project has to be worth it to me, and so many of the leads lately just are not.

@BJSDesignStudio even at $180 for logo design I'm not getting the views or inquiries. Fortunately, I have established a core client base. TT isn't helping Pros any more they're more focused on having many window shoppers, who should be the ones paying for the leads if they are truly interested in finding a pro in the field they are looking for.

BarisGraphics
Full Time Freelance Graphic Design.
On time and on budget!

I've had an account for years, but have just recently put effort into trying to doo all the things that TT wants me to do. So far, I've paid out approximately $100 and don't yet have a paying client. I've got one project in the works that is a TT job, but we're not even to production yet. I have turned off where possible any leads under $150 or any "I don't know" budgets. I feel like most of the jobs available are just people trying to findout how much something costs. Why would I pay for that kind of lead? Doesn't make any sense. So far, as someone who's been in marketing and advertising for 19+ years, I'm finding ALL of the "leads" provided by TT are COLD leads. They're not actually ready to purchase from you at the time that you pay for the lead. If they were to create a hire button that basically says to the client, "It's time to spend your budget." Then maybe things would be different. I've had pretty much all the leads I've paid for flake out on me after I paid for the lead and all TT wants me to do is pay for promotions so they can automaticaly take money out for cold leads...Nope. I'm going to give it a couple more months and if I can't make it happen, I'll just move on and close my account. 

@NashvilleJason Exactly. I used to have an account with another lead generator at which I'd purchase credits and it would cost X number of credits to respond to a job request (and some types of projects cost more credits than others, like a full website design would cost more simply to provide an estimate than, say, a web ad... for example, 16-25 credits for a new website project vs. maybe 8 credits to reach out for a web ad request...). So I was basically paying simply for the opportunity to provide an estimate, regardless of whether the potential customer actually got back to me. I was hired a couple times, but it just was not worth it for the tiny projects I was being hired for on there. NOPE! Never again. I canceled that account and am getting ready to cancel many others, including TT, if the leads don't get any better.

Zero ROI!

Hankster
Level 10

@BJSDesignStudio @NashvilleJason @Barisgraphics I've been using TT since 2009. Actively since 2013. All that we as service pros get when we pay for a lead whether it was with the credits system, ProAssist, Instant Match, Promote, etc. is a leads name. That's it! Not a fair trade off for the ridiculously high lead prices we get charged when a lead reaches out using one of the conversation starter questions. I've suggested dozens of times over the years (yes that’s plural folks) to have the lead provide their contact information after they reach out to me. I've already paid for the lead at that point so what's the big deal with making it a mandatory requirement for the lead at that part in the request process to provide their phone number & email address. TT won't budge. They are protecting their customer. That's who they care about! The service pro is not acknowledged as a TT customer even though it's our money that supports TT & keeps them in business. 

Hankster 7/17/19