Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
BradBaldwin
Level 6

Customer chooses you for an Estimate, reply to seal the deal. MISLEADING

Hi Everyone, 

I have been on Thumbtack for five years now.  I am a DJ in the Boston area.  I have noticed a few leads in the last two weeks of a customer choosing me specifically for an estimate.  I open up the request and see:

Congrats – no need to quote!
Devin P. already chose you out of a list of pros. Reply to seal the deal...                      No need to quote – just reply!

Which makes me think great, they really want to hire me.  So, I send the customer an estimate, pay the quoting fee ($33.41), and wait.  I follow up a few days later after no response.  Follow up again a week later after still no response.  Another week later, I tell the customer I am going to report this request, but they finally respond that they have chosen someone else, and were sorry for the inconvenience, but were just trying to look at DJ availability and pricing.  

My issue is not that I did not get the gig, (I found out who the only other Pro was they contacted was using a workaround with View Competition) but rather being mislead to think I would intially with the phrasing of the estimate lead.  I do not see how this benefits us Pros if a customer is going to use this the same way they would after making a regular request.  My estimate price should have been available based on my pricing in Thumbtack.  I have another one of these requests for a New Years gig.  Same thing, no response after I reached out and followed up a few days later.  So I feel like I am getting taken for a ride with this request too.  

Any suggestions Mods, other Pros?   Thanks.

-Brad

Occupations (1)
3 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Customer chooses you for an Estimate, reply to seal the deal. MISLEADING

Hey @BradBaldwin sorry to hear that those customers haven't gotten back to you. Yes, under the DJ category your pricing will be shown up front as long as you've confirmed your prices in your settings. I took a look and it looks like yours have not quite been finalized on this page HERE. I would go ahead and make sure your prices are as you'd like them in each of the 3 categories under DJ and then you can hit the "update price" button on each page in order for customers to see your estimated costs up front before they contact you.

0 Kudos
BradBaldwin
Level 6

Thanks Kameron, 

Can you talk more about the estimate request issue.  I have never had this happen before.  Is this something new?  Also can you address the misleading message that Thumbtack sends Pros when they get a request like this.  The whole "reply now to seal the deal" phrasing should not be there if the customer is looking at you and other pros like they would after a normal request.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@BradBaldwin Customers being able to find and reach out to you directly is new. This new system is called Search Results and we recently had a pro Q&A about it HERE if you'd like to learn more. The phrasing when a customer reaches out to you is certainly not meant to be misleading. When customers are able to filter, search, view a lineup of pros, and then pick you and maybe a few others to contact it means a lot more than us matching you like before. The job will be yours to win, however, customers have and always will be able to contact more than one pro. Now that you've been able to finalize your pricing in your settings, the customers that are searching will be able to view those up front and you should see fewer messages from people like the ones you've explained in your original post.

0 Kudos