results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Moderator Meckell

Re: Instant Bad Lead "FIX"

Hi @Mellsgrill , thanks for sharing your feedback! A lot of changes we make are based on suggestions we receive from pros and customers, so we appreciate you taking the time to reach out. 

What determines the cost of a lead is; the type of the job, the size of the job, the number of pros available, and how serious the customer is. Because of these variations, and every job being unique and different, we don't charge a flat rate for all leads. Of course, if you have any thoughts on how to make this possible while taking into account that each lead varies, we'd love to hear it. 

In the past, we required customers to leave a phone number or email address. When we did that, we saw a significant decline in requests that were coming on. After speaking with customers and hearing their feedback, they told us that they wanted to be in control of when to give that info to a professional. So, we leave it up to them. 

The reason why we allow more than five professionals to reach out to a customer is for two reasons; give pros more of an opportunity to get their name out and give customers more options. This change was heavily based on feedback we received from both pros and customers. 

Thanks again, let me know if you have any other questions! 

0 Kudos
Mellsgrill
Level 5

Hi Meckell
The dynamics of each lead varies your right. Even with the varying circumstances on each lead there is no guarantee so its value is relative and belongs to the eye of the beholder. Because there is such a large number of leads that dont turn out,I would recommend as a company focus on volume and not all the supposed details that dictates the cost of a lead. It's resoundingly clear that your pros are unhappy with the the poor pre-qualification process in connection with the cost. Here is a solution: Dont include the most valuable information in the lead (Phone number and email) but in doing so come up with a flat rate per lead maybe $2-$3 per lead. There are many who would agree the term "See a need fill a need" and so the Pros needs here isn't properly being addressed. This creates opportunities for those with vision to recreate the wheel. If there isn't any adaptation it can stunt the growth of something that can be so very special. Not fixing a serious problem becomes a oppertunity for other companies that will do whatever it takes for a presence.
Example: Of "See a need fill a need"
Yellow Cab- Uber
Blockbuster-Redbox
Lead generating without Contact- lead generating with Contact.
Etc.
The above mentioned in many cases like the face behind Uber as a result of fixing a need is now worth over a billion. Dont give your business away adjust and keep it.
Best,
Mell
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@Mellsgrill thank you for expanding on this, super helpful! All of your feedback has been passed along. 

0 Kudos
Mellsgrill
Level 5

Hi Meckell
Here is another progressive suggestion. Secure the lead, Secure menu after giving the customer 2 options from Pros to choose from, Secure payment, After securing payment take a modest percentage % that's built into the quote and then award the job to the pro. There is a company doing this as we speak and has been doing it for years and it's great. The name of the company is called "Roaming Hunger".
Best,

Best,
Mell
0 Kudos
LFerguson
Level 5

Re: Give us your feedback!

I searched the customer site and found no marine repair section, only marine service that was unrelated to boat work. This means engines, steering, outdrives, etc. Is there a section for requesting boat work (marine repair)? Lee 

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Re: Give us your feedback!

Hi there @LFerguson. At this time, we don't have a category for marine repair. We're growing more and more each day and category feedback is super beneficial for us to hear. Thanks for reaching out! 

0 Kudos
GerryR
Level 5

Re: Congratulations to our January 2019 class of Top Pros!

Tks from NSR in Missouri, however, I am left out in the cold. Thumbtack will not separate metal roofing from roofing. I cannot promote, so no leads in 2 months. Guess 3 yrs. work on profile was for nothing. Tks for the ride
Moderator Meckell

I'm sorry to hear this @GerryR! I'd love to get more detailed feedback from you about this. Could you send me a private message with any additional details on why the category consolidation isn't working for your business? 

0 Kudos

Thank you so much. We are a top pro for 4 yrs in a row now. I just wish Thumbtack did more for its pros. As far as I can see the only benefit it the badge. Sadly the badge doesn't help pay the bills when we are competing with less qualified pros for customers who just want the cheapest option possible. I asked Marco about this in NY and he did not have a good answer. He said he was working on it. soooo

What is thumbtack going to do for its Top Pros in 2019...?

(A discount on quoting would be a good start)

anthonybly
Level 5

I totally agree. It seems like I'm still getting price shoppers even though I have pricing listed. They reach out to me directly, or so Thumbtack says, and I answer quickly and that's the last I hear of them. I follow up, nothing. This happens more often than it should so I reduced the amount of offers I respond to now because of it. So because of this, people genuinely looing for my services don't get responded to and Thumbtack doesn't make any money. There needs to be a better system otherwise Thumbtack will fall by the wayside for me.