Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence

Happy Thumbtack Anniversary?

I got an e-mail from Thumbtack wishing me a happy one year anniversary with the system. This seemed like a good time to log in and see how things are going. There were two jobs in my feed after not checking in a few days (I used to get 20-30 a day). Neither of the jobs were things I do.

In my first few months on Thumbtack, I was in the middle of other work, and I was tentative with this new (to me) system.  By November, things had picked up nicely, and I was on track to become a top pro. My field (writing and editing) never went to Instant Match, thank goodness, and I had really good luck picking the leads that were likely to hire me.

Then June hit, and Thumbtack's usefulness dried up faster than a spilled cup of water on asphalt on a 104 degree day. There was a really rough month in there, but now I'm getting almost more work than I can manage elsewhere. I would've liked to continue using Thumbtack for those times when there's a lull in my workload, but changes don't seem to be coming.

It's disappointing see a useful tool veer off the tracks like this, and even more so to see how destructive this has been for so many of the pros who (like me) freelance and contract as an essential part of their income. This reminds me of the awful manipulative gaslighting relationship I had with a former boss. 

So here's my anniversary advice to my fellow pros - if TT isn't working for you anymore, go find something that does. It's your career, and you need to do what keeps you successful. If the frustration and angst of spinning your wheels here is getting to you, distance yourself as I've done.  You'll be happier. And you can still check in now and again to see if TT's next iteration will work for you.

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
3 responses

Re: Happy Thumbtack Anniversary?

@The-Write-Mann I'm sorry to hear that the number of jobs you've seen lately has decreased so heavily. We've heard this from more editing and writing pros as well and I wanted to let you know that it's something we're researching and looking into on our end. Once we find out more about this I'll definitely keep you in the loop. It's great to hear that you're still keeping busy overall.

From the general research I've done on your account I've found mainly that the jobs you haven't been receiving are due to your preferences. It may seem small but I noticed that your hours are set to end at 4 pm. If you'll consider opening this up to later in the day you could possibly see more jobs come in. Customers often fill out their request form to show that they're open for services at any time. It's understandable that you don't want to work past 4 pm, but if you see a job you like and give the customer options for when you're available they'll likely be flexible in when the work is done to pick a quality pro like yourself.

0 Kudos

@Kameron - given that I've not changed my hours since I first set up my TT account, I highly doubt that's the problem.  4 pm is when I stop being instantly available for calls, texts, and e-mails because of other obligations and distractions.

Shareen Mann
Freelance writer and editor with The Write Mann, LLC
0 Kudos
saalfeld
Level 6

ABSOLUTLY CORRECT,

.ANY BIG CORPORATE BUSINEES HAS A 8/5  9/4 BUSINESS DAY AFTER THAT IT GOES TO VOICEMAIL

WE IMPLENTED THE SAME PRATICE ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO

EVERYBODY NEEDS LEISURE TIME

THE BEST WAY WE FOUND IS GENERATE YOUR OWN LEADS THROUGH YOUR WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA WHICH GIVES YOU MORE AUTHORITY AS LEAD GENERATION SERVICES WILL BE A THING OF THE PAST IN 10 YEARS WHICH PEOPLE LEARN HOW TO MARKET THEIR OWN BUSINESSES

IF THIS POST IS FLAGGED MECKNELL IM POSTING ON CONTRACTOR TALK FORUM AND CALLING YOU TO ANSWER QUESTIONS WHICH WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU

THIS IS  CONSTRUCTIVE CRITCISM AND IS PROTECTED ON ALL OTHER FORUMS BY OUR AMENDMENT RIGHTS

0 Kudos