Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

How do you handle a bad review?

Solved! Jump to solution

Every so often, even the highest-rated pros will get a bad review :/ How do you handle a bad review? What advice would you give to another pro deciding how to respond?  

2 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
RuffHDT
Level 6

Re: How do you handle a bad review?

Solved! Jump to solution
This is a great question, because it does happen. Sometimes, you have to know when something is worth responding to or not. In the beginning, it's important to respond to EVERYTHING. As time goes on and you establish a reputation, the reviews tend to speak for themselves. The bad review I received (2 stars) was absolutely terrible for my soul! The client was truthful in her story, which led me to not respond because she took responsibility in not following through and gave me the bad rating, when in effect, anyone who reads the review can understand it was her failure. I felt that anything I would have written would have seemed rather hostile, so I decided against it.

View solution in original post

Serge
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
This will inevitably happen. What I found to be the best route is to understand the issue from the clients point of view. Starting an argument online with a client who left a negative review doesn't help the client, you, or the situation. What does help is understanding why the customer left the bad review, thanking them for their thoughts, apologizing for the situation and vowing to not let it happen again.

56 responses
RuffHDT
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
This is a great question, because it does happen. Sometimes, you have to know when something is worth responding to or not. In the beginning, it's important to respond to EVERYTHING. As time goes on and you establish a reputation, the reviews tend to speak for themselves. The bad review I received (2 stars) was absolutely terrible for my soul! The client was truthful in her story, which led me to not respond because she took responsibility in not following through and gave me the bad rating, when in effect, anyone who reads the review can understand it was her failure. I felt that anything I would have written would have seemed rather hostile, so I decided against it.

Serge
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
This will inevitably happen. What I found to be the best route is to understand the issue from the clients point of view. Starting an argument online with a client who left a negative review doesn't help the client, you, or the situation. What does help is understanding why the customer left the bad review, thanking them for their thoughts, apologizing for the situation and vowing to not let it happen again.

Solved! Jump to solution
First, go in a corner and cry!! Honestly, this happens to the best of us and you can’t let one sour apple get the best of you, whether it was legit or not! Sometimes you really can’t please everyone. I think the best thing to do is take a bit of time to cool down and DO NOT respond right away. Always take the high road and apologize and offer to try to make it better for the customer. Other customers will see you care and took the time to respond, and who knows maybe the customer will update their bad review as well!!
TackMaster ChefPaulStaley
TackMaster

Solved! Jump to solution

First, never reply right away. Sometimes a bad review can feel like a direct attack and put us in a negative mind-set, which is never a good place to make decisions from. I have only had two bad reviews and they both kind of rocked my world when I first read them. One of them was completely legitimate and their complaints were 100% valid. We offered them the world with sincere apologies, a free catered event, money back, etc. etc. etc. They took down the review and took us up on about half of what we offered them, as they were very happy to just have us truly listen and try our best to make amends. We were able to turn a negative situation into a positive one, which is best for all involved.

The other one came as a complete surprise to us, with their complaints ranging from the color of my chef coat (emerald green, for my company Emerald City Cakes and Chocolates) to the style of pots the etouffee and gumbo were served in (traditional stainless steel and black ceramic) and the bar not being in the correct place (they decided to move it last minute and didn't tell us). Upon first reading it, we were upset to say the least. We took a day to process it, speak with our staff that were there and gather their opinions, and then composed a detailed, yet polite response to their review, addressing each complaint point-by-point. There isn't anything that we could do to get them to feel differently or change their mind about what happened, but we can control how the public sees that review and our response to it. By responding not in defense or in anger, but in a calculated and thoughtful manner, we can alter or at least direct the perception of anyone who reads that review. Again, turning a negative situation into a positive one, albeit in a completely different way.

WGACSC
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I believe to keep Top Pro ranking you need a review average of 4.8 or greater.  Therefore, in my eyes any review less than 5 star is a bad review.  I try to work with my customers through the entire process to make sure I earn 5 star or nothing.  I have received a 1 star and as another person said you can't make everyone happy.  But I ignore it.  I look at reviews this way, if I can only find perfect reviews of a company I call BULL$HIT.  They paid for the fake reviews.  If I find revews that are 1,2,3 star well I'll probably keep looking.  I look for the company that has 90% 4 & 5 star reviews with a sprinkling of 1,2, and 3 stars.  Why?  Those are probably real reviews.  And reading the bad ones I get a feel for customer error or company error.

Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for weighing in, @WGACSC!

0 Kudos
JoeB131
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

Well, first, Thumbtack to their credit confirms reviews are made by people who actually used your service. (See, I can occassionally say nice things about Thumbtack) so fake reviews aren't the issue.   

I've only gotten two  bad reviews (one one star, one two star).  The two star review, I contacted the client and corrected her concerns, but Thumbtack won't let customers modify reviews after they've given them.  the One Star, the customer had an unrealistic view of what the service could do for him. (Sorry, guy the best written resume in the world won't qualify you for a job you have no experience at.) This nitwit did cost me Top Pro status for the first half of 2018... 

My best recommendation... When you get a bad review, reach out to some of your former customers you know were happy and ask them for a review, so that's the first thing the prospective client sees. 

missannienow
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution

I think that is a good idea.

There are just some people out there who do not understand everything about what we do, whatever it is that you do. In house cleaning, some people think we are like "maids" or even servants.  LOL! Before I clean a house for the first time I go over some basics, such as what is included and what is not. Expecting me to clean their 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 1600SF home thoroughly in only 4 hours - and then tack on extras such as bed making, taking trash out, etc. - is not realistic.

0 Kudos
JazzyB
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

@JoeB131, I think you may need to revise your statement, "Thumbtack to their credit confirms reviews are made by people who actually used your service. (See, I can occassionally say nice things about Thumbtack) so fake reviews aren't the issue."

The person that left me the one-star review received my information directly from Thumbtack. It was not a quote I sent. The person marked me hired and then left me a 1-star review. It actually cost me Top Pro status for the first half of 2018. I have been in business for myself for just under a year.  

I do not have a problem with a legitimate 1-star review. If I didn't meet my client's expectations, then I can accept that. Fake reviews I cannot and will not accept, ever.