results: 10
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
RevDrLCT
Level 6

Re: Let’s talk about becoming a Top Pro

Solved! Jump to solution

@HVACPRO 

Wow, that’s a lot of 5-star reviews! Good work!

You should be in touch with your Success Coach. I agree, it doesn’t feel fair to have bad reviews when you never interacted with a client.

Thumbtack support is available at 800-948-2034 Monday-Friday 7am-8pm MST. And here’s a link to the help article no getting support: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/how-to-contact-us

But if you have a bad review, don’t stress too much about it! First, consider posting a reply, so that customers can see that you handle negative feedback professionally (see here: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/respond-to-reviews).  Second, focus on getting more good reviews! Clearly, you’re able to earn awesome reviews.  The more you get, the less that one bad review will matter. The good review will bury the bad!

Highlighted
HVACPRO
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Let me simplify my question. Does anyone ever review a movie without watching it? Does a food critic review a restaurant with out visiting the restaurant? Then how can a customer be allowed to review us pros on Thumbtack when they haven’t hired us? How can they complain about your price when the promoted feature gives them our price before they contact us?  Do not send me any articles or redirect me. I want a straight answer. It’s a simple question. 

0 Kudos
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @HVACPRO ! First, congrats on having so many awesome reviews! That's amazing!

I get that it’s frustrating if one or a couple bad reviews keep you from becoming a Top Pro. I want to clarify the review criteria for the Top Pro program as well as Thumbtack’s review policy:

In order to become a Top Pro, your need at least 5 verified reviews averaging 4.8 stars or higher over the last 12 months. We want to treat all pros equally, so we don’t make exceptions to this rule. However, you can have a review removed if you didn’t work for that customer. You can also challenge any review that doesn’t meet our review policy. Just contact our support team.

I'd also say not to focus too much attention on that bad review.  Consider replying, so that other potential customers can see what you have to say.  And keep doing your best to get more 5-star reviews! No one will notice a bad review if you have dozens and dozens of good ones!

And thank you to @JCWEX for voicing similar points as well!

HVACPRO
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I do appreciate that. I truly do. But, alas you still have not answered my question on how or why this is allowed. Since no one can answer my questions I shall stop asking. Just to let you know an unjust 1 star rating can knock you down from a 4.8 very easily. So like I said since I can not get real straight forward answer I will stop asking. 

0 Kudos
Mooreshots
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi Jason, thanks for an opportunity to speak about my experience as a Top Pro.  I was a Top Pro almost from the start with getting hired and my feedback.  Unfortunately, I lost my Top Pro status because of the algorithim used to determine the 75% response status.  (I think mine came in around 72%.)  Anyway, if a customer replied to a quote sent where they said "hey, profile looks good, call me" then I would simply pick up the phone instead of replying back,  "ok, I'll call you" just to stop the clock from ticking.  Then, I would get reminders about hurry up and reply before it's too late.  Other examples were if a customer replied back "thanks" or whatever else, and I don't reply back when no reply was necessary, then the clock counts down and I get rated a dead beat pro.  Funny though, I always got highly rated by my clients as being "very responsive."

I got hired, repeatedly, got 5-star reviews, but since my response rate was not adequate, I was dropped as a Top Pro.  I called and repeatedly tried to get this reversed or looked into to change, but nothing ever happened.  They just said it was what it was and sorry.  Why are we even rated on response time anyway?  We either get the business or we don't.  The customer likes us or they don't.  We get a 5-star review or we don't.  So why does it matter about some algorithim to determine if we are responsive when the algorithim itself can't judge when something is appropriate or not that it needs a reply.  

Sorry, I was proud to be a Top Pro, but find this response rating to be included as a Top Pro absolutely should not be included.

Karl Moore

Was a Top Pro!

Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for your post, @Mooreshots! I'm sorry you missed Top Pro this time, but congratulations on being a Top Pro in the past! That's a big deal! We also heard similar feedback from these pros: @mobilegrooming @TommyMead

We look at response time because we know that customers want to hear from pros quickly.  They're more likely to have a good experience (and hire pros on Thumbtack!) if they hear back from pros right away.  And we know that if pros respond to leads quickly, they're more likely to win the job!

But we know that it’s a high standard to become and stay a Top Pro. And keeping up a high response rate can be tough - especially while you’re running a business! That’s why we only ask that you respond within 24 hours at least 75% of the time. And we won’t consider any messages that you got a refund for. 

You're right that we don't have a good way of including responses that happen over the phone.  We're working on this! For now, I'd encourage you to mark that you've responded to a lead in your app, even after you've spoken to someone on the phone.  That's how we can give you "credit" for the response.

Another thing to note: we're only looking at your response time to *new* leads.  In other words, we're only looking at your response time to a customer's first message.  We're not looking at how quickly you respond to each subsequent message after that.  So if you have a back-and-forth with a client and they reply with a simple "thanks," we're not expecting you to respond to that.  And if you don't respond to it, it won't count against your response time.  All that matters is that you respond within 24 hours to new leads and new customers. 

I hope that helps to clarify!  Keep in mind that we'll have a new class of Top Pros in July 2019.  Because you've been a Top Pro before, we know you can be again! And we'll be rooting for you!

Thanks again for all that you do, @Mooreshots !

Solved! Jump to solution
I have been a Top Pro for years and loved Thumbtack until about 8 months ago when everything changes and now I rarely see anything from Thumbtack. Hard to remain a Top Pro when no clients from Thumbtack to respond to. Appreciate your comments.
Eric
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@AttyRosenthal

Be sure your Thumbtack profile is up to date and complete (with lots of photos and descriptions!).  After that, consider modifying your pricing. It’s also helpful if you show prices upfront if it’s possible for your business.

TommyMead
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I’m a little upset that I lost my Top Pro and had no clue that not replying fast enough can hurt your score. Also, the price per lead is somewhat high. If I decline a job, I hope you put that money back in my account.
Dace
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi. My name is David and I just became a top pro. I was really happy about this accomplishment. I worked so hard to build my profile and add pics and reviews. Even took the background check. After finally being where I wanted to be. 2 days later thumbtack makes a change to their system. I loved getting the email alert on leads so I can reply asap. Now you no longer get the email alerts. When I called thumbtack they said at first it was a glitch. 4 days later they claimed it's just a change they did to their system. I was so upset. To me it seems like they are forcing you to use promote which I honestly dont like at all.
I was so happy with the thumbtack service. I felt like I paid my dues and now the jobs were rolling in.
So now I decided to open a account with Gigmaster and bark to give them a try. Now I have to start from the bottom and work my way up.

My question is why change something that's working?