results: 10
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Eric
Level 6

Re: Let’s talk about becoming a Top Pro

Solved! Jump to solution

@DebbieA 

I would encourage you to reply to the review. Be as professional as possible and mention that you and your staff strive to make each customer happy. If it seems appropriate, apologize that the client had a bad experience. Let potential new clients see that you can sympathize with your customers, even ones that had a bad experience (or are difficult.) New customers want to know your side of the story. Perhaps this article might help: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/respond-to-reviews.

Also, get more jobs, get more 5 star reviews, and that poor review will be buried

Celestra
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I was a top pro for a few years. Then I got only partial matches. I have not had any notices at all from your service in months until hearing of this Q & A session. Is your company even getting requests for math tutoring any more? I was starting to wonder if your services was still in business.

Toppro2019
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I've been a Top Pro for the last couple of years and have never been more disappointed in Thumbtack as I am today. I've not received a single lead in the last 3 weeks here in Metro Atlanta area since your recent changes as far as introducing * promote* feature. It's very unfortunate that as a top pro with excellent 4.9 rating I don't even appear in the list of contractors, while my competitors with far fewer reviews and bad reputation are at the top and it's only because they are using *promote*. This tells me only one thing: Thumbtack is not the same company as you guys used to be when I first started. Every new change you introduce is hurting us more than the last. And the worst thing is you just don't seem to care at all...
SillyCar
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

ONE BILLION KUDOS! Well said. And 100% True.

Eric
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@Toppro2019 

I’m so sorry that has been your experience. I use Promote and all of my business is from Thumbtack. I don’t even have a website yet (it will go live next week.) I am so pleased with Thumbtack that when I leave my “day job” on January 31, I will be doing this work full-time! I am a Wedding Officiant in the San Francisco Bay Area and could not be happier with the opportunities. The one thing that Promote does is that  while the leads are discounted, once someone selects you, you pay for the lead. Make sure to use the Calendar to block dates/times you are not available to avoid getting leads for those times.

Also, keep responding quickly and keep asking for reviews! Invest in your profile (add pictures and descriptions) and list your prices.  All of that will help you stand out and get hired.

And if none of that works, don’t hesitate to contact the Thumbtack team.  They’re always eager to help

Highlighted
Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @Toppro2019, thanks for posting!

While Top Pro status doesn’t directly affect how you rank in search results, a lot of the qualifications that made you a Top Pro will also boost your ranking.

For example, our ranking algorithm considers your responsiveness and reviews to determine where you rank.  And as you know, both your responsiveness and your reviews are crucial to becoming a Top Pro.

But our ranking algorithm also considers a few other criteria, including how complete your profile is, whether you've listed prices, and whether you’re promoting your business. So yes, all else being equal, a pro who's promoting their business will rank higher than a pro who isn't.

We do this because promoting your business allows us to connect you to the right customers more quickly.  In turn, it allows us to make sure customers have a great experience; customers want instant results when they come to Thumbtack, and promoting your business makes that happen.

If you want an additional boost in ranking, we encourage you to promote your profile. You’ll appear higher in search results and get 20% off those leads!

And remember that regardless of where you rank, customers are more likely to hire you when they see the Top Pro badge next to your profile. So keep up the great work!

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

In determining the "average" for rating, how about throwing out the one lowest review out of 100.  It's easy to get somebody on a bad day and ethically, it is completely out of the question for the contractor to attempt MAKE a client write a good review.   Yes, we can respond to oour reveiws but that doesn't figure in to the rating.  Even if I COULD offer some way to mollify an unhappy client, once written, the review cannot be changed.  I like having the "Top Pro" designation available, but I do not like the fact that it doesn't take very much to knock me off the mark and that my finest service can be "blown up" by one unhappy individual.  

Ironman18
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
True that,only got one 4star but she was very pleased but dang what would happen to me if I got another 4star..

Solved! Jump to solution

I was getting about 2-3 request every months for about 2 years. You changed the way you do thngs a little and I have heard from you guys since. I been in business over 25 years. I cannot put muy open schedule up on your board because the amount of busines from Thumbtack is not substantial enough. I would also only get about 1/3 of the leads that I bid on. I understand others are in the area I work although the old way was working well and the new way lack communication and that is necessary in my business. The base fee is for cookie cutter homes and few are that way. I think bidding without proper info is a step backward. How do I get more business from your clients?  

Eric
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

@Daviddietrich 

First, congratulations on getting hired by one out of 3 clients! That is incredible and a GREAT return on your investment! Thumbtack is a lead generator.  Once a client replies it is up to you to get all the information to a client quickly, and in a manner that is appealing to the client.

Each business is different and it is difficult to send a bid when you are not sure about the details of the project. Perhaps if you said your base rate was $ XXX and that you would give a free estimate once you saw the job, that may work to provide more opportunities Please stick with the new system because it really does work. New clients are seeking you out!