Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
Thumbtack Employee scottz
Thumbtack Employee

Re: Let’s talk about how you rank in search results

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @ChefViaMelissa,

I’m sorry to hear you’re not getting hired as much as you want. I have a few recommendations. But before we get to those, I think it’s important to give some context on why we changed the way Thumbtack works. Before, customers came to Thumbtack searching for pros and would have to wait to hear back from a pro. Sometimes customers didn’t even make it through the initial request form. In fact, 80% of customers wouldn’t even get to the point of meeting any pros. Those were jobs that could’ve been yours.

The reality is, customers want more options when looking for the right pro and they want them instantly. That’s why we’re showing you in search results, so you can get in front of more customers and ultimately get hired more. And that’s why where you rank in search results is important.

So here’s what you can do to improve your chances of ranking higher, so you can get in front of more customers and ultimately get hired more:

• Improve your profile. Look at it from the customer’s perspective - what photos and information can you add to make your business stand out from the crowd?
  • Promote your profile. When you promote your profile in search results, you tell us what jobs you want ahead of time. If a customer searches for a pro for a certain type of job and it’s a job you’ve indicated you want, we know that you’ll likely provide a great customer experience. So we’ll give you a rank boost, 20% off, and you’ll pay automatically.
  • List your prices. Customers often want to know what they’re getting into before they reach out, so giving customers a sense of what you’ll charge is a great way to engage them.
  • Get lots of great reviews. Remember those customers you previously worked with who said they loved working with you? Ask them for reviews so new customers know how great you are.
  • Respond quickly. When you do get a lead, be sure to respond quickly. Customers like it when pros are responsive since it shows the level of service you’ll provide.

If you’re still not getting enough customers contacting you from search results, check out your Jobs tab. The jobs listed here are from customers who’ve already contacted another pro, but customers like having options! You might be a better fit than the pros they’ve already contacted. If you are interested, let the customer know why you’re a good match. You’ll only pay if the customer reaches out to you.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

I also wanted to connect a few more pros to my post above. I'm sorry you're not getting hired as much as you want. I suggested ways to improve your rank and tried to address your concerns in that response (that I'm also linking to here). Thank you for joining our Q&A and sending in your questions and concerns!

@Lettucefeast @Felise @SRL @lyricsheila @bitemebbq @elle819 @SFTS @RevRay @Greycliffe @artandsign67 @NorfolkPest @DJStephenTheSty @TrainwithV @Mcdogdog @tfitzpatrick914 @Rebeccap93 @Larry1 @Rhartog @Adivinebeauty1 @DavidW @JMFRemodeling @BethV @BRod @JunkCowboy66 @AndyN @mbidstudio @AutumnElectric @RyanBannigan @EFTHypnotherapy @Withinteriors @MaggieCrowley1 @Nickgall87 @TimWilliams @brassfromthepas @RodC @Nan @Houston1 @JannDenlinger @drfekete @kmcnamee @JaysPortraits @Efrendude @Beepropetservic @shaktiwellnessc @Nickven @Lina @LindaZ @Evofitg73 @Poolroomstudio @Scotty @DavidH
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@Dessi @fitcap When a pros pricing is filled out and live will those prices will still show up for customers to see in Search Results, even when you are not using Promote. If your prices are live and this has not been the case for you, please send me a direct message so we can look into it.

Solved! Jump to solution

Hired ? Not getting any leads ....this was the wrong time of year to have made this change .....Music Entertainment needs to be booking 2019 

0 Kudos
Michaudfit
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Exactly. Im a personally trainer and i am having several issues
0 Kudos
Dessi
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @scottz, one thing to note that I learned through trial and error. When a massage pro is not on Promote, his/her prices do not show on the pro listing, even if they are filled out and made "live". Not sure if this is the case across all industries, but it's fair to let pros know.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @Dessi, I caught up with the team that works on this. It turns out that there was a bug in the system, which caused this unexpected behavior. It is now fixed. Thanks for the feedback!

Pat
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

ScottZ,

@scottz wrote:

" But before we get to those, I think it’s important to give some context on why we changed the way Thumbtack works. Before, customers came to Thumbtack searching for pros and would have to wait to hear back from a pro. Sometimes customers didn’t even make it through the initial request form. In fact, 80% of customers wouldn’t even get to the point of meeting any pros. Those were jobs that could’ve been yours."

I think you are operating under a false premise. While it may be true that "80% of customers wouldn’t even get to the point of meeting any pros." You seem to believe that maybe there were no pros available, but since the old system allowed every contractor the opportunity to view the request, within that area, and within that speciality, and only 5 could respond.  It stands to reason that the requests were viewed, and rejected for any number of reasons. From being to far for too small a job, or not exactly what I am looking for, or maybe, I am just to busy at the moment to take on something else, and lastly I looked at it, and thought it was bogus, and would be more trouble than it was worth. 

A lot of the leads that came through, were just crap from the begining. Pro's get pretty good at "reading between the lines" as to who is serious and who is either window shopping, or just a window licker. 

Now I understand that you see this as lost revenue for you, and have devised this new system to try to get folks to pay for all the chaff that was falling through the cracks before.

Now as for your "list", you do know that you are far behind the curve for building a search engine, Type out a request, say for a carpenter in Manchester, NH.....low and behold GOOGLE will give you a list...for nothing, Bing does it too, Yahoo, heck, the yellow pages. And just like you, if I pay to promote my business listing, I can get to the top of the list.

So Please, how about some statistic's on how many folks, 

1) Click on several contractors (window shoppers)

2) How many of those actually hire someone. Willing to bet those numbers will never see the light of day.

3) How many are just window lickers (not hiring anybody anyway. I mean there were tons under the old system. Every contractor has pages on pages of archived dead quotes. No response, and no indication that they hired someone else nor hired anyone at all.

fitcap
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

Pat I think you hit the nail on the head!!!

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi Scott,
Is there a way to improve my ranking? At times I appear way below people who have very minimal reviews and are not Top Pros. I love the new search results system, overall, just confused about the hierarchy of ratings. Thank you for taking the time to answer these questions!
All the best,
Matthew Stroia