Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
bonnie_bill
Level 8

Re: Let’s talk about how you rank in search results

Solved! Jump to solution

@scottzI think ranking in search results is a secondary issue for us. 

My question is "Do you think Thumbtack will eventually recognize that the costs associated with the lead generation or even the cost if we get the business is not worth what we are being charged for it?".

This issue has sidelined us from participation in the new program now for over a year. We enjoyed working with TT over the years and especially as a Top Pro but when the costs went up so much it liquidated the profit we could make on the business itself if awarded. The photography market is highly competitive and labor intensive beyond the shoot itself. The net profits are thin after shooting, selecting the best images, editing each mage & preparing for print/cd, paying for any required labor, the costs of photo books/paper/ink cartridges, and shipping or delivery. The business can not be viewed as a bulk number associated with a booking. It has to be valued based on the net profit that can be generated after the cost are incurred, the work is completed, and the customer is satisfied. Therefore the placement in the search results is immaterial if we can not make money using the TT lead generation service. 

We continue to monitor the TT changes and feel one day it will evolve back to a useful model for us. At least that is what we would like to see. Until then we just continue with our standard 20 year old marketing approach that has served us well and doubled our business last year. Unfortuately that was all without TT. 

So I guess my net/net here is the net/net of the program must be beneficial for us to participate. I hope this information gets to the decision makers on the TT planning board.

We wish you and all at Thumbtack a Happy Holiday Season and Prosperous New Year.

Our best, B&B.

jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution

@bonnie_bill I appreciated your professional and honest response.  I feel exactly the same.  Will continue to monitor TT and hope for changes.  This appears to be a revolving door of new pros now - because they don't understand the platform - and not a site that someone can maintain a successful flow of business like we once had.  It's truly heartbreaking.  Thumbtack was so great for me for 4 years until about May of this year.  I always thought it was too good to be true - the success I had.  Apparently it was.  But I am responsible for my own path . . .   and I must recognize quickly what is not working and move on.  Which is what I have had to do with Thumbtack.  So all you NEW PROS at Thumbtack . . . .    Please read past community chats.  Read what past Top Pros have been saying.  Be smart with your advertising money.  As I said . . .   I will continue to monitor Thumbtack . . .   but I can not afford to put money into something that no longer proves success.  It's a mathmatical fact based on my stats that this platform does provide a platform to maintain monthly success.  It's not possible for any pro.  Good luck to all us past Top Pros . . .   

bonnie_bill
Level 8

Solved! Jump to solution

@jcp  Our involvement stopped when they radically quadrupled our costs with no notice, now almost two years ago. There became no point in bidding just to shuffle volume with no profit. The more we discussed it with them more they doubled down without hearing us. Then they took another radical change to not having a fixed cost if we bid. And then another radical change of not telling us what the costs would be and even charging for prospective client contacts. It became assinine to try to use their system and run our business. We had only used TT for about 25% of our volume so we just went back to sound basics of doing our business and checked in once in a while to see if anything had changed. Now we are nearing two years without any business booked through TT and do not depend on it at all. If it can not be profitable it is nothing but overhead and a complete waste of time.

What I would like to see them do is get some real business people on their planning board that understand business and the diffiulties of doing enough volume to produce enough profit to successfully operate a small business. I wish they would plan their platform for the success of the Pros and that will organiccaly create the TT success. But the way it is now is simply not worth anything to us. Let's hope they learn to listen......... 

jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution
Very true @bonnie_bill ! Spoken as a successful business professional! In any business - this would apply. Overhead, profitability vs. value. Not applicable on this platform.
Thumbtack Employee scottz
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @bonnie_bill,

Thanks for keeping an eye on our updates. We want our system to work for Top Pros like you.

We know pricing is top of mind for lots of pros. We’re constantly evaluating and adjusting our prices to make them more fair. In come cases, we’ve realized prices were too high, so we adjusted those. And we appreciate all the feedback we’ve received from pros who’ve called out specific prices that don’t make sense.

That’s why we hosted a Pricing Q&A in the community a few weeks ago. We got a lot of great questions and feedback. Our product manager for what you’re charged on Thumbtack, Vinamrata, is working to address a lot of your concerns. Take a look at the thread and her responses to see what we’re working on to improve pricing.

0 Kudos
bonnie_bill
Level 8

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you @scottz. We will check it out.

Highlighted
Thumbtack Employee scottz
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm also tagging other pros here who posted feedback that our prices seem too high. I know this is a really important topic for you, and I tried to address your concerns in my response above (also at this link). Thank you for your participation in the Q&A and in our community!

@jerry @RevDHirsch @ChefViaMelissa @thebabyfish @stealth011744 @lyricsheila @elle819 @DJStephenTheSty @wandafully @Randizzle55 @Mcdogdog @ltatum32 @Mjr @jcp @Wreach @Adivinebeauty1 @MichaelWeaver @VideoByKevin @DNGVideo @PoolEscapes @aaron32 @JannDenlinger @LathamE @Claudia @Happyhome @KPDCreative @Pete_Stephens @COWBOYBARRY @DefiningImagery @LindaZ
Wreach
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Scott
Thank you, I have noticed a price drop in my category.
jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution

Well Scott . . .   I can see that I have had people looking at my profile - but not one person has contacted me in.  I was a TOP PRO for 4 years - 90% of my business came from Thumbtack.  This new system . . . . ZERO.  I have not booked anyone for about 4 months - but I also stopped trying.  The unpredictable changes and triple price and no longer are we "specifc for the customer request" . . . like the 5 that responded before . . .   It is too expensive and my odds went from 1 out of 5 to  . . . .    competing against everyone.  It's basically a site with a directory of pros.  Nothing specific at all.  What made TT unique and successful for me is that I could respond to a specific request and that customer got a response from a person who was available, interested and within the price range.  To go from 90% success with TT to ZERO . . . .    well . . .    I've been in business 20 years and TT changed it's platform to a format that is no longer unique or special and does not work within my budget.  I read all the community board feed lines when these changes took place.  the 1500+ negative response from successfull Thumbtack Top Pros across the nation was just heartbreaking.  Awful.  This is Thumbtack's choice as a business . . .  but individuals can not rely on this system to be successful on a monthly basis.  Sure you may get a job here and there.   Maybe 1 or 2 a month.  But at what costs?  It's a revolving door of pros that will use this method and pay high prices.  No longer unique.  No longer can I recommend with confidence or joy.   I am sure your post today will generate a lot of responses . . .  I look forward to reading them to validate my claim here.   I am so disappointed that my success with Thumbtack came to an ubrupt end this year . . . .   I was successful, loyal and beyond happy.   I keep connected because I have great reviews and a lot of hires . . .  I ranked Top Pro for 4 years . . .    now it's a concern to rank higher?  How can that happen when no one contacts me or hires me.  I'll keep an eye out to see what transpires over the next 4-5 months with Thumbtack because the last have been awful.  So far I am reading negative responses again to Thumbtacks changes . . .    will be interesting who wins a $250 with so many negative response to your question.  And yes . . .   you should be posting and answering the question how people know how they rank.  Silly not to to include that in your post.

PFC
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I totally agree with you. I have been experiencing, especially this year, a downturn in leads and a larger amount of people who just look for quotes then don't hire, all while we each pay more for the quotes.  I have complained all year about the changes.