results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
artandsign67
Level 4

Re: Let’s talk about how you rank in search results

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree. The changes have not been better for me as well. I used to get many more requests and now only two or three per month for my primary service offered that is also promoted. 

Thumbtack Employee scottz
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @artandsign67,

Thanks for giving Promote a try. I'd like to highlight that the leads that you're receiving are from customers who have picked you and so are excited about working with you. In the past, you might have seen more requests from customers who didn't have you in mind in particular.

Our ranking algorithm considers many factors, so it’s tough to say exactly how much of a boost you’ll get from promoting a service. We also are continually improving the algorithm, so the importance of different factors will change over time.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm hearing from these pros similar questions - that you're wondering how much of a boost you'll actually get from promoting your profile. Check out my response above (also at this link). Thanks!

@RevDHirsch @VideoByKevin @JMJ-Locksmith

Solved! Jump to solution
So much this!
wandafully
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I agree with Jerry.  I just spent 69$ for TWO "leads" which were flakes.  One asking for info on a job happening the next day with nothing to say but "whats next?' ... and I had not even sent a message- boom ! got charged 25.00. Then a second "lead" where the customer asked for a quote when was was already sent "automatically"... Both I paid for 69.00 for not one hire and this is just THIS week.  Let me not even mention the rest of the year. 

Something is not right in the "leads" process and the search algorithm is definetely weird.  Also why would I contact a client who has already contacted 4-5 other vendors??? Yet these are sent to me and I am charged. 

Confusing indeed. 

Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

@wandafully we held a Q&A a few weeks back regarding search results and I think you'll be able to find some answers to your questions there. Check that out here.

0 Kudos
Djyella
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I have had bogus or not legit inquiries from customers supposedly looking for a dj and using my credits.   They inquire but do not respond after my credits have been used.  There needs to be a way to ensure the customers are definately seeking a dj or the one's that are just playing and using our budget money.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @jerry,

Thanks for writing in. It's awesome that you were a Top Pro in 2017. We want the new system to work for pros like you.

While we don’t give an explicit boost to Top Pros in search results, the factors that make you a Top Pro are the same things that affect your ranking.  For example, in order to become a Top Pro, you need to have a lot of reviews (at least 5 in the last 12 months), you need to have an average star rating of at least 4.8, and you need to respond quickly to new customer messages (within 24 hours, at least 75% of the time).  As I noted above, responding quickly and getting great reviews both affect ranking. So by becoming a Top Pro, you’re naturally doing what it takes to rank higher. That’s why Top Pros tend to rank higher in search results.

But being a Top Pro doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be at the top of the list either. Other pros might be promoting their profiles or have outstanding response rates-- factors you can’t see just by looking at their profile.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

We heard similar feedback and questions from these pros about how Top Pro status affects your rank. Wanted to tag you so you can check out my response above or at this link. Thanks for participating in the Q&A!

@RevDHirsch @ColleenHartmann @dpaulish @Jdrdrains @Rhartog @JunkCowboy66 @AutumnElectric @Rocky1 @gblackmore @RodC @JannDenlinger @KPDCreative @Efrendude @Lina @Jessi801 @mcierley

Highlighted
WendeePease
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
What do you mean when you say promoting their profile?
0 Kudos