Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
HLAL
Level 5

Re: Let’s talk about promoting your business

Solved! Jump to solution
I’m with you, that isn’t a lead with out a phone number and property address
Thumbtack Employee CourtneyF
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @HLAL and these other pros who suggested that we get more information from customers, like phone number or email address.

@Riosm28 @Thadstout @Spatespainting @ScottArcangel @HarmonyServices

Thanks for this suggestion - it’s one we hear often! For context, we did at one point try to require customers to leave their phone number.  We found that it didn’t work, because customers really didn’t want to leave their number.  Many simply left the site and never hired a pro. Those were jobs our pros were missing out on.

After looking into it further, we heard that customers wanted to wait to share their contact information until after they've initiated a conversation.  It was at this point that they felt comfortable with pros having their phone number and email. And so that’s what we do today. We’re confident that this is the best solution for customers and the best way to attract the most customers to Thumbtack — so that you all can get hired as much as possible. I get why it might be frustrating, especially when the customer stops responding to your messages.  But trust us when we say that the alternative would be worse for Thumbtack and worse for all of you in the long run.

View solution in original post

Riosm28
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Thank you for your response. I understand that you dont want to lose customer from the site but what happens when you lose pros from your site. The other sites that us pros use all provide customers contact information.
Thadstout
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I get that it is not perfect but I recently had a lead ask several questions and tell me through messaging that I was hired and they would send me the information for the job and subsequently disappeared and I have no way to contact to follow up. I feel that I have no way to improve or change my process because I have no way of knowing why leads are no longer materializing.
Hankster
Level 10

Solved! Jump to solution

This is like a broken record. We hear this one in some shape or fashion all the time from the moderators. You all are reading from the same script. I get it. TT doesn't want the customer to provide their phone number when they submit thier request. Fine. Then why not make it a MANDATORY requirement AFTER they have made their decision on which service pros they would like to have  contact them. They've reviwed all of the service pros profiles, have come to a conclusive decision & then reach out to the service pro using one of the conversation starter questions. We then get auto charged. I'm a DJ service pro. I get charged anywhere from $20 on up to $40 when a lead reaches out. The customer/lead of course doesn't know. that. They should know we get charged.

Once again I will suggest using this conversation starter question as the only one:

“I read your profile & your reviews. I really like what I’ve read. Your reviews are awesome! I would love to speak to you further about my event. Please call me at (insert phone number here) or e-mail me at (insert e-mail address here). Thank you."

Highlighted

Solved! Jump to solution
I have been using Thumbtack for four years. I am currently a Top Pro. I think that Promoting is Great but we shouldnt have to pay for a lead unless we are chosen for the job. Im paying for leads that are not leads. I dont have a phone number or address. Thats not a lead
OGreene
Level 3

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi, I agree with you. This new system does not work! The amount paid in quotes and contacting does not equal to the number of bookings secured. Almost not worth it. 

tshon
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Sadly, the new system does NOT work. I used to get 80 + % of my jobs throught TT, now, I have less than 5%. Promoting, vs the old way, even if it was a bit harrowing to answer to a request quickly, has failed my Commercial Photogrpahy business. My question, is, what Data do you have that supports the Promoting option for Commercial/Corporate Photography vs the old system whereas we, the TT subscribers, can decide whether to answer, and pay for, a request or not. ?

Thumbtack Employee CourtneyF
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @kelareed1973, thanks for your post. I'm also looping in these pros who had similar concerns @Bayareacameragu @kharmabird1 @jasoncrawford76 @Hankster @DaveAlbrechtLaw @AutumnElectric @chad5050 @LisaW @cobysdoghouse @Withinteriors

I hear you that promoting your business won’t work for you if the cost outweighs the revenue you get from getting hired. And that’s not our goal - we want you to get the most out of it that you can. So we’re constantly working on getting our prices right.

Last month, we lowered prices in many categories and are continuing to work through hundreds of others.

And maybe the individual prices aren’t too high, but you’re getting too many contacts that aren’t turning into jobs. Here’s what I recommend to turn more leads into jobs:

• Make sure you have a complete profile with lots of photos and great reviews
  • Wherever possible, post your prices upfront to avoid price shoppers and tire-kickers
  • Respond to a contact as quickly as you can, and follow up in a couple days if they don’t respond

We won’t succeed if we can’t make Thumbtack work for you, so we want to make sure you’re earning enough on jobs to outweigh the cost of leads. We’re constantly trying to refine our pricing so you’re paying a fair price, but it takes time and we are grateful for your patience as we make progress.

View solution in original post

kelareed1973
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

As i read all the comments TT has failed to listen to the pros. You say you want us to make a living while utilizing TT but we are not winning jobs. The leads bogus or TT allows the prospective client  to contact 16 pros per request so you take $23.00 x 16 thats $368.00 per every 16 or more they contact. Im in house cleaning so you take the other 50 professions that other pros do and let them bid on the jobs $18,400 and thats just 50 other pros. WOW  So terrible. Then you have this so called again i said SO CALLED CUSTOMER THAT PICKS YOU FROM THE CROWD SO NO NEED TO QUOTE. You get charged for it and no customer picked you TT did you put us in front of the request. When is TT really going to listen to the people that should matter to them ??