results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Thumbtack Employee CourtneyF
Thumbtack Employee

Let’s talk about promoting your business

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi everyone, I’m Courtney, and I’m the product marketing manager responsible for a new feature you’ve probably seen in your Thumbtack app. As of a couple months ago, you have the option to promote your business. I’m here to clarify what that means and how you can use it to get in front of more customers.

In order to understand promoting your business, it’s important to first understand search results and how you rank. On the old Thumbtack, customers would fill out information on a job, and you paid to quote on that job. Now, when the customer enters their information, they see a list of pros instantly in search results, and customers will contact you if they’re interested.

To see what this looks like to customers, go to the Thumbtack customer view and search for a project in your category to see what the experience is. Don’t worry, pros won’t get charged when you search, but make sure you don’t contact any of them! Play around with filters and see how your rank changes. Then come back and ask me your questions!

If you’re looking to boost your rank to get in front of the right customers, I recommend looking into promoting your business. You’ll get a 20% discount on leads. Because you’ve told us these are the jobs you’ll always want, you’ll also pay automatically for these leads. You’ll still have control of exactly where and when you work and the type of job you want. You can also set your weekly budget for better control.

So tell me, what questions or feedback do you have about promoting your business? How can we help make promoting more effective for you?

Here’s how to participate:

• Reply below with your question or idea by 5pm EST on Monday, February 18th
  • Please limit to one question or idea in a single post so I can respond to as many pros as possible
  • I will sign on around 5:30 EST on the 18th answering your questions and comments. I might also tag you in one or more of my earlier responses if I’ve already answered a similar question
  • Note that off-topic posts may be redirected to a more relevant thread.
16 accepted solutions

Accepted Solutions
Thumbtack Employee

Re: Let’s talk about promoting your business

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @sfogel2,

Tagging these pros as well who had the same feedback as you @Steve79 @jasoncrawford76 @EmyW @Emiko @taxesrus

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. While we understand it can be frustrating to get leads without a customer's budget, this is the experience we've seen work best for customers. Many don't know what their budget should  be, so they come to Thumbtack and want to talk to pros about what it takes to get the job done.

When you promote your business, we want you to be able to control exactly the type of jobs you receive. Tell us what jobs you want, when you’re willing to work, and how far you’ll travel by setting your job preferences. We’ll only charge you for leads that exactly match. You might still get leads that don’t match exactly, but you’ll have the option to decline without paying for the lead.

We’re also about to launch a project to improve the quality of leads you receive when promoting your business, so stay tuned! We know that it’s not enough to appear higher in search results — you need to be able to convert leads into jobs as well. That’s why it’s one of our highest priorities to make sure when a customer reaches out to you, it’s a great match for the both of you.

Here’s how to update your preferences.

If you feel like you're not getting hired because your prices are higher than average, I would recommend taking time to add to your profile so customers know why you're the best for the job. Details about how you work, photos of past projects and reviews all help customers decide which pro to hire. 

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for your post @couplacleaners

I'm also tagging these pros who posted similar feedback about wanting to be able to control the jobs where you're promoting your business. Thanks for your feedback!

@Heather @kharmabird1 @jasoncrawford76 @Thadstout @roberthallaran @PastorHoward @SDF @Dojo1962

We know it’s important to be able to control when and how much you’re charged. We want to give you as much control as possible. That’s why you can set your preferences to tell us exactly which jobs you’re most interested in. You can promote as many or as few preferences as you like.

Once you start promoting your business and we know which jobs you always want, there are two ways you can pay:

1. Promoted leads: these leads match your preferences exactly. You pay automatically as soon as the customer contacts you, and you get a 20% discount on these leads.
    2. Non-promoted leads: these leads don’t exactly match your preferences, but a customer reached out to you based on your profile. You can review the details and exact cost of the lead before choosing to accept or decline it. We will only charge you if you accept the lead.

We have a range of in prices for leads because it depends on things like the type of job, the size of the job and the number of pros available. When you promote your business and set a budget, you can make sure to never spend more than you want. It resets weekly, so you can adjust to spend more or less depending on how many leads you want to get. The tool will give you and estimate of how many leads you might get with your budget.

You can also get leads through the jobs tab if you want more business. These customers didn’t reach out to you, but you might still be a great match for them. This is where you could contact them and potentially win the job with a great profile and personable message. You can also see the exact cost of the lead before choosing to reach out to a customer in these cases.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @kelareed1973, thanks for your post. I'm also looping in these pros who had similar concerns @Bayareacameragu @kharmabird1 @jasoncrawford76 @Hankster @DaveAlbrechtLaw @AutumnElectric @chad5050 @LisaW @cobysdoghouse @Withinteriors

I hear you that promoting your business won’t work for you if the cost outweighs the revenue you get from getting hired. And that’s not our goal - we want you to get the most out of it that you can. So we’re constantly working on getting our prices right.

Last month, we lowered prices in many categories and are continuing to work through hundreds of others.

And maybe the individual prices aren’t too high, but you’re getting too many contacts that aren’t turning into jobs. Here’s what I recommend to turn more leads into jobs:

• Make sure you have a complete profile with lots of photos and great reviews
  • Wherever possible, post your prices upfront to avoid price shoppers and tire-kickers
  • Respond to a contact as quickly as you can, and follow up in a couple days if they don’t respond

We won’t succeed if we can’t make Thumbtack work for you, so we want to make sure you’re earning enough on jobs to outweigh the cost of leads. We’re constantly trying to refine our pricing so you’re paying a fair price, but it takes time and we are grateful for your patience as we make progress.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @Sara179,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. I'm also tagging these pros who had similar frustrations about getting leads. @jneville @SHocking @PaganoPhoto @Sphlouge @KBKempo @AutumnElectric @chad5050 @PestbyMD @boettkd @markbogarin @decoradore @VGS @Lina @Capfit96 @blackstar2018 

I know it’s frustrating if you used to get lots of leads on the old Thumbtack, and now you’re not getting as many in the new system. I recommend searching for your business on the customer side and seeing how you rank in search results.

If you’re not getting leads, it’s likely that you’re not appearing near the top of search results. A great way to boost your rank is to promote your business for the specific jobs that you always want. But if you’ve tried promoting your business and still aren’t getting contacted, our product manager, Scott, gave some great tips on how to rank higher in a previous Q&A.

Some categories are really competitive, so it can be tough to move up in the list. Make sure you have a complete profile with pricing and lots of great reviews, and respond to customers quickly when they do reach out.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @wattersk,

It’s tough when you get lots of leads that don’t turn into jobs. And it’s frustrating when customers don’t respond back to you when you answer a question or appear to be price shopping. I'm also tagging these pros who have frustrations about not getting hired from their leads. @Sara179 @madison @Heather @nancykenright @PaganoPhoto @rriveroa @Surge @Spatespainting @EmyW @Marv @rgyanks @cobysdoghouse @Withinteriors 

Here are some tips for how to turn more leads into jobs:

• Respond quickly - customers want to get their jobs done quickly, so the faster you respond, the more likely a customer is to choose you. If you reach out and a customer doesn’t respond, follow up in a couple of days to remind them that you’re available and qualified for their job
  • List your prices whenever possible - this will help customers who are just price shopping since they won’t need to contact you to know your rates
  • Add reviews - Your rating and number of reviews are two of the first things a customer sees. If you’re new to Thumbtack and just starting out, you can add up to ten reviews from Google and Facebook to help you get started. Check out this article for more on how to ask for an import reviews.
  • Fill out your profile - make sure you high quality photos and videos and introduce yourself and describe what you do. The more people that engage with your profile, the higher you’ll rank in search results.

We know this can be frustrating, especially if you’ve had a few leads in a row that don’t lead to a job. But if you stick with it, we believe that we can make Thumbtack work for you.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @Dojo1962,

I'm so glad to hear you're interested in promoting your business!

Let me explain what it means and how it works. I'm also tagging a few other pros who asked for clarifications about how promoting your business works @nancykenright @lglassman @Jp @boettkd @SDF @Dojo1962 @SharonM7 @couplacleaners @patdon 

When you promote your business, you set job preferences to tell us which jobs you’ll always want. We know that this means you’ll respond quickly and deliver a great customer experience — so we’ll give you a rank boost in search results so more of the the right customers find you. We’ll also give you a 20% discount on these leads and you’ll pay automatically as soon as the customer contacts you.

You may still get leads for jobs that don’t exactly match your preferences, but we won’t automatically charge you for those. If it’s not something you’re interested in, you can review the details (and the cost of the lead) and choose to accept or decline.

There are a lot of factors that go into how you rank. Besides promoting your business, you can in front of more customers but completing your profile, listing your prices, getting lots of great reviews, and responding to customers quickly. But you’re likely to find that promoting your business is the fastest, easiest way to get a rank boost.

If you want try promoting one or some of your services, go to your services tab and select “Promote” under one of your listed services. Follow the prompts to set your preferences and click “Finish.”

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @rdevaughan,

It’s good that you’ve taken a look at the customer experience and know how you’re ranking! That’s a great first step toward improving your rank. I'm also tagging these pros who expressed frustration about where they're ranking @Petehayden @SharonM7

I know it’s frustrating if you’re appearing lower than expected, or if you can’t find yourself at all. First, I recommend adjusting the filters to see how the search results change when you look for the jobs you want. If you’re not satisfied, take a look at our product manager, Scott’s post in a previous Q&A about how to improve your rank.

Some categories are really competitive, so there could be up to 30 pros appearing in search results. And even if you have a great profile and quick response time, you might rank lower than you expected if lots of other pros are promoting their businesses.

Promoting your business is an effective way to boost your rank. I recommend trying it for specific jobs that you know you always want — and then add or remove preferences as you figure out what works for you.

If you’ve tried promoting your business and it’s not working for you, reply and let me know what you’d change about it to make it more effective for you!

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @SharonM7 and @HarmonyServices!

Congratulations on becoming a Top Pro! That’s a huge accomplishment, and keep up the good work!

Being a Top Pro does not directly affect your rank, but it means that you’re doing a lot of things right. To make Top Pro, you probably have a lot of great reviews, a strong profile, and respond quickly. All of these things will help you rank higher in search results.

In the current Top Pro program, you do not need to promote your business to earn Top Pro status (see here for how to become a Top Pro). We hosted a Q&A with our Top Pro manager last month, take a look for more information as well.

But we want the Top Pro program to evolve to reflect what makes pros successful on Thumbtack, so we would love your ideas for how to improve! Reply below and let us know what you think should be considered in your Top Pro status.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @Withinteriors@SHocking @PaganoPhoto @TinaBFoto @PestbyMD @rgyanks @Studio92 @tomdans @tshon @OGreene and @DJStevie,

I’m sorry to hear that promoting your business isn’t working for you. We know it’s not right for every pro in every category yet. We’re constantly trying to improve our ranking algorithm and make sure that promoting your business is helping you get in front of more of the right customers.

If you’ve tried it and turned it off, we would love for you to reply below and tell us what category you tried and how you’d like to see it improve so that it’s more effective for you.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @Capfit96,

I hear you that some categories are very competitive in certain areas. The best way to succeed in those markets is to boost your rank so that you appear as high as possible in those search results. Once you’ve filled out your profile, added prices, and gotten as many great reviews as you can, the next thing to focus on is accepting and responding to customer as quickly as you can. If you haven’t already, you should download our app to help make that easy. The last thing you can do is promote your business for the jobs you always want. You’ll get a rank boost for those jobs and along with a 20% discount, so you can get more of the leads you want for less.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi everyone!

We’re still working on improvements to our system to make sure that promoting your business can work for all categories. We have a whole team here at Thumbtack devoted to making sure customers are providing the right information in each category, and that you’re paying a fair price to get in front of the customers you want.

Here are some of the category-specific points I’m passing along to our category experts that I’ve heard from you and other pros:

• @CDCorno, you’d like to see more music categories, like French Horn and Brass
  • @Bk, you’d like your leads to be more specific in the catering category
  • @andresfranco, you’d like to be able to invest more in certain geographies
  • @Sphlouge, you’d like to see more levels in woodworking to distinguish your high end services
  • @Fabhealth19, you’d like to see better distinction between personal training and life & health coaching
  • @ndrevitchand @andresfranco, you’d like to have more control over the location of the leads you’re getting
  • @beckyspband @taxesrus, you’d like to distinguish between a mirror and a photo booth
  • @Metrote, you’d like to see budget categories in video production and streaming
  • @HarmonyServices, you’d like to see more direct categories in HVAC
  • @GerryR, you’d like us to separate metal roofing as its own category
  • @7718, you’d like to only promote your service when you’re supplying the carpet

If you’re reading this and you’re an events pro, check out this thread to share your feedback on your experience with promoting your business and share tips for success with other pros like you.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @HLAL and these other pros who suggested that we get more information from customers, like phone number or email address.

@Riosm28 @Thadstout @Spatespainting @ScottArcangel @HarmonyServices

Thanks for this suggestion - it’s one we hear often! For context, we did at one point try to require customers to leave their phone number.  We found that it didn’t work, because customers really didn’t want to leave their number.  Many simply left the site and never hired a pro. Those were jobs our pros were missing out on.

After looking into it further, we heard that customers wanted to wait to share their contact information until after they've initiated a conversation.  It was at this point that they felt comfortable with pros having their phone number and email. And so that’s what we do today. We’re confident that this is the best solution for customers and the best way to attract the most customers to Thumbtack — so that you all can get hired as much as possible. I get why it might be frustrating, especially when the customer stops responding to your messages.  But trust us when we say that the alternative would be worse for Thumbtack and worse for all of you in the long run.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @HarmonyServices,

First of all, congrats on being a Top Pro!

Regarding how we charge, I get why it’s frustrating to pay for a lead that doesn’t pan out and become a hire. I'm tagging these pros too because they voiced similar feelings. 

@kharmabird1 @Thadstout @MinisterMichael @rriveroa @bonoboe @Eray @Surge @Spatespainting @TinaBFoto @EmyW @DaveAlbrechtLaw @AutumnElectric @chad5050 @Emiko @Marv @rgyanks @cobysdoghouse @Allstar1 @Sandsjourney @ScottArcangel @flynautleads @jpomeranz @Studio92 @tomdans @JeCroisbeauty @Withinteriors @Snick @OGreene @suloveh68 @couplacleaners

It might one day be the case that we charge you only when you’re hired (a commission model), though of course that would mean that we charge you more each time, since you’d be getting something more valuable (an actual job, versus a lead).  Part of the reason we can’t charge for hires today is that it isn’t easy for us to track hires….pros sometimes forget to mark themselves as hired, and customers sometimes forget to update their project status.

The economics of paying for a lead can actually be way better than the economics of paying for each job you’re hired for. With the current system, you’re never charged after a customer’s second, third, or 30th message - only their first message.  You’re never charged for any repeat business either. You pay one fee one time for the initial lead, and that’s it. Even if you’re able to convert this lead into a long-term client, you’ll never pay again. In this sense, a relatively small investment up-front can have a huge pay-off in the long run!

The leads that do turn into jobs will balance out the ones that don’t.  I’m confident that, on the whole, Thumbtack will still give you a positive return on your investment.  If it didn’t, we wouldn’t see so many success stories. In fact, we wouldn’t survive as a company!

Last thing I’ll note: part of what’s frustrating about leads is the price you’re paying for them.  For more on how we determine price and how prices are being updated, see my post above.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @rgyanks, thanks for your post! I'm also looping in other pros who gave feedback about quick replies.

@Hankster @Thadstout @rgyanks @Sandsjourney @ScottArcangel @flynautleads @jpomeranz @Studio92 @JeCroisbeauty @markbogarin @DJStevie @wattersk

We heard from a lot of pros that “quick replies” from customers were frustrating, so we changed the lead experience recently. There is now a more structured way in which customers reach out to you — messaging you, requesting a call or estimate, or asking for your availability.

This is better because it’s more clear what information the customer is looking for next. They’ve already taken the time to fill out all their project details, so they have a pretty good idea of what they’re looking for rather than casually shopping around. Then it’s up to you to respond quickly with your availability, prices, or a personalized response to win the job.

We also heard frustration around knowing when and how much you paid for a lead. So when we made this change, we also made it more clear whether or not you already paid (and saved 20% if it’s a promoted lead). You’ll also see how much you will pay if you accept and reply to non-promoted leads.

Make sure that when you receive the email for the lead, that you click “View lead details” to see the all the information provided by the customer.

Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @best2you, thanks for posting. I'm also tagging other pros who voiced similar feelings about preferring our old system where you paid to quote.

@jneville @Bayareacameragu @kharmabird1 @SHocking @CSUSA @MinisterMichael @TinaBFoto @DaveAlbrechtLaw @PastorHoward @tomdans @tshon @markbogarin @decoradore @Withinteriors @Keithcarter @Petehayden @DJStevie @CSUSA 

I know that there have been a lot of big changes on Thumbtack recently, now that customers are seeing you instantly in search results. The major changes are behind us, which is great! But we’re constantly trying to improve the product as well, which is why your feedback is critical.

We’re going to keep moving forward with the new Thumbtack, and that’s because we’ve seen it work for a lot of pros and customers. In the old system, 80% of customers never saw a pro, so you were missing out on a lot of potential business. Now those customers are seeing pros instantly in search results.

We want this new system to work for you. If you were doing great work and succeeding on the old Thumbtack, I’m confident you can succeed on the new Thumbtack as well. So let me know what suggestions you have! Reply below and share your thoughts.

Thumbtack Employee LydiaH
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you to all the pros who participated in our Q&A this week! We want to make sure promoting your business will work for you, so we appreciate hearing your questions and feedback. Product changes take time, but we're always trying to improve. Check out a quick introduction from @CourtneyF where she answers some common pro concerns about promoting your business. @PaganoPhoto, thanks to you and several other pros for posting the question Courtney answers in this video.

As always, keep the conversation going and thanks again!

293 responses
patdon
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

When it says, You have been promoted, does that simply mean they looked at the list and chose you or is there something else involved?

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@patdon When you promote your business, you tell us what jobs you always want. From there, we connect you with customers and they can reach out to you the second they’re interested. Feel free to check out this great video about how promoting your business works HERE.

0 Kudos
flynautleads
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

We are charged for the leads that do not provide email address/contact number, simply sending out filtered questions like "Are you available?" "What are the next steps?" "Can you provide an estimate?" and when we answer these questions, most of the clients do not respond but we are being charged for every lead. Can you improve the filters & charge us for the lead that atleast provide their email/contact info ?

Jp
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Seeing how i created the largest and highest paid single act in the state of Washington i think i have a very good handle on promoting! This idea you have only promotes your business! Please tell me how it improves our business??? Really?
Riosm28
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Exactly, it would beneficial to us to get their contact information.
Elegant
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I don’t understand how I paid for lead I didn’t choose or accept and when I tray to send a quote the app didn’t let me and says error.
Highlighted
kharmabird1
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Customers are still choosing many different pros in order to get estimates for their projects. Costing the “customer” nothing and the pros possibly hundreds of dollars b4 this one customer possibly chooses 1 pro. The pros need to be reminding Tack who the “customers” are. It’s the pros since were the only ones paying for their service. Tack is making at least 4 times as much money per lead now.
Stage66
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
I am still waiting to hear why you are charging some much for leads now when you first started out you were really fairly priced now prices have gone though the roof ...to the point I cant bid on more than 1 job a week cause I dont have 600 or 700 dollars a week to spend on leads
realRITA
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

Thank you for the opportunity to "Boost my Business" I would like to take on more Community Associations in  and around the Melbourne Area. Having my LCAM License has allowed me to share my experiences in Property Management with the Boards who want to be empowered by knowledge. Educating those who are over seeing Communities is something I love to do.