results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
EE-Level
Level 5

Pro ranking -

Solved! Jump to solution

I don't know that the ranking system works on Merit if new comers on the scene get ranked higher with lesser experience nor qualifications. Why isn't the top pro a criteria for higher ranking? Somehow, that doesn't seem to make sense if you want to give the customers the option to chose the top 4% of pros. You guys should be promoting to clients the top pros. And when others reach that level, then the clients can chose base on which top pro they want to work with. But to be bumped down to a back page by less experienced pros who are new on the scene without previous nor thumbtack experience seems rather unbalanced.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Re: Pro ranking -

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi there @EE-Level. You can see Courtney's responses about ranking in Search Results as well as Top Pro here and here. Be sure to check those out! 

0 Kudos
rdevaughan
Level 4

Re: Let’s talk about promoting your business

Solved! Jump to solution

I've been trying to utilize this feature for a few weeks now and I don't show up in the search results at all when I go the website as a customer and search for "web design."

So I don't understand how this is working? I'm trying to understand what this is actually doing for me if I don't even show up in the search results when a client is looking.

Highlighted
Thumbtack Employee CourtneyF
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @rdevaughan,

It’s good that you’ve taken a look at the customer experience and know how you’re ranking! That’s a great first step toward improving your rank. I'm also tagging these pros who expressed frustration about where they're ranking @Petehayden @SharonM7

I know it’s frustrating if you’re appearing lower than expected, or if you can’t find yourself at all. First, I recommend adjusting the filters to see how the search results change when you look for the jobs you want. If you’re not satisfied, take a look at our product manager, Scott’s post in a previous Q&A about how to improve your rank.

Some categories are really competitive, so there could be up to 30 pros appearing in search results. And even if you have a great profile and quick response time, you might rank lower than you expected if lots of other pros are promoting their businesses.

Promoting your business is an effective way to boost your rank. I recommend trying it for specific jobs that you know you always want — and then add or remove preferences as you figure out what works for you.

If you’ve tried promoting your business and it’s not working for you, reply and let me know what you’d change about it to make it more effective for you!

PestbyMD
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

None of these responses are addressing the main one, we as Pros need contact information, phone numbers emails or addresses to successfully follow up, market or contact and not rely on rankings to show clients who is best. Your actions, presentations, business practices install confidence in clients not rankings. However since I have been thankful enough to be a Top Pro and have all but one 5 star ranking out of 100 hires, I still don’t understand how my leads have dropped 75% and I purposely put my prices below the average so I can prove my value to client face to face. So again these answers do not add up. 

Petehayden
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
At this point I am looking at different mediums as I feel a long term partner (thumbtack) abandoned me. I have tried a lot of different things and I get corporate speak. I was a corporate communications director so I see through it. Sad, really
Petehayden
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
At this point I am looking at different mediums as I feel a long term partner (thumbtack) abandoned me. I have tried a lot of different things and I get corporate speak. I was a corporate communications director so I see through it. Sad, really. All I know is I was a top pro for two years and it is a mess now. Keep telling me how much you have improved.
Chesiaeiral
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

Is there any way to tell if when someone is promoting their business? Looking at the search results (as a potential client) I am the only "top pro" in the list of 10 that come up with the google "Top Ten" link and I have more reviews than all but one ahead of me yet I am ranked yet I come up #5 on the list.

The person below me has one more review than I do. I also have the "Great Value" tag as does one other business ahead of mine. the others don't have any tags. 

The top return only has one review but a very low price so maybe price is the reason for the high ranking? However, there is another with only two review and no price listed so that doesn't make sense.

Any way to tell if it's the promotions that are moving them to the top? 

I'm interested in promoting my business but I'm concerned as the quality of leads that I get now are all over the place. Some are in regions where I can't work due to local laws, others are very vague as to what they need.

Thanks for any help.

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@Chesiaeiral customers that visit Thumbtack will not know what promoting even is when it comes to the pros, so there's no way to tell who is promoting and who isn't from the customer point of view. They'll simply be able to view them as they show up on the list and choose to contact the ones that they think are the best fit for them. Congratulations on being a Top Pro! If you do have a possibly higher level of profile and reviews than the pros that are showing above you then it is very likely that they are promoting. Also, the actual price that the pros list will not affect their ranking, all that matters is that they've filled it in. If you're concern with promoting is about getting leads that don't fit you, then I'd suggest revisiting your settings and preferences to set them for only the jobs and areas that you absolutely want before promoting. 

0 Kudos
Chesiaeiral
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

From everything I see on Thumbtack, my profile should be optomized as well as can be - top pro, great value tag, more reviews than competition (some above me with only one review), pricing listed, and a fully developed profile. So with a rank of 5 out of 10, that means at least four are promoting their business (#2 has many more reviews than anyone else in the top ten)?

So how does the ranking work when many promot their business. Does it come down to bidding like with Google Adwords?

Does not responding vs. passing have any affect? I do see very few jobs coming through Thumbtack. I do have a few categories that I don't really do but leave open for the right opportunity. Of course, they seem to produce the most job leads (not direct contacts but requests for bids). Many of these jobs I just don't respond.

I'm afraid if I pass on jobs, I won't get simular leads in the future. There are many I pass by as they do not appear to be a good fit and I don't want to pay to explore further only to find out it really isn't a good fit. The cost per lead tends to run at more than 10% of the job price wich is very high for a high risk opportunity (ie. not enough info in the lead).

In my time on Thumbtack, I think that I've maybe had 2-3 direct requests if that. Maybe only one which converted to a job. 

Is there any way we can see analytics (ie. how many inquiries for different services) so that we can better analyze the value of Thumbtack and how to better optimize our profiles?

Thanks again. 

0 Kudos