Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Andres
Level 5

Re: Let’s talk about promoting your business

Solved! Jump to solution
Hi Courtney,
Maybe you can understand better, the problem I been having recently is when you guys send a lead that says not quote needed just reply to seal deal for example the most recent one from a  client , I did reply and I never heard back, so then how can I provide a great quote or have a better communication with the customer if you never hear back from them ? I just think on this... how about if I never reply to you, how are suppose to help if I don't reply right ? It's the same how am I gonna follow a lead when I don't get any answer from the lead. So basically you guys just charge people $ Etc. On a daily basis and I know I'm not the only one going through this. One of your employees has told me that you guys send out the exact lead to 10 different people. Out of those 10 people more than 50% answer that's $dollars in one day and that's just within the 10 people, in just minutes. I'm starting to have a doubt about this company. You're policy is customers first but at this point I feel like I'm not getting anywhere with you guys. 

Thank you

Sincerely 
EE-Level
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

I've been with Thumbtack, in NYC since almost their beginning 4 years ago as an Art Preparator and Installer. When I started out, there where maybe 5 others doing this work as competitors. I've maintained a 5 star review rating as well as a Top Pro status ever since. So I'm about as accomplished as a pro as it gets in this area of work. Suddenly there are almost 200 people clawing for these jobs; and my responses from clients have gone from too many to virtually zero on a weekly basis. I've followed pretty much all of the advices given in terms of self-promotion. Now I know that clients' discriminating choices of whom they decide to hire can range from whether the person is tops in terms of qualification, website and portfolio, to something as superficial as whether they like the persons' photo and looks etc.

How does someone who is in deed in the top ranking and seniority compete and get a fair claim of the crop?

Solved! Jump to solution

So in other words you've now turned Thumbtack into a whoever allows automated payments to be taken directly from their bank accounts now gets to go.tk the top of the list of service providers and the people that would rather know what they are paying upfront all get pushed tothe bottom of the list cause we arent offering an open line of fees to be taken out of our accounts at Your Discretion to top that off your also allowinv major corporations to list services on Thumbtack that they are then outsourcing to third party companies to have completed which is clearly avainst the Terms and Conditions in the user agreement. Thats pretty amazing what you guys have and continue to do to turn what was an amazing site into a total garbage crapshoot that no longer listens or cares about the service proffessionals thag built tbe site into what it is. So go ahead and remove my post cause it isnt what yoh all want people to ask lr say but thats bottom lkning it Ive been with thumbtack for more the 4 hears now and ifs went from oustanding and changed it into an omg what are they gonna ckme up with next to generate higher profits for thumbtack execs and can milk more money out of us ghat are the people generating the profits for them to begin with.
Here's a question what happened to THUMBTACK HELPING SMALL BUSINESS GROW THEIR COMPANIES and how does Allowing Places like Best Buy to list their services on the platform, help us Small business owners grow our companies? If you can answer that Id love to hear the answer!
Why are we being forced into paying for "Leads" which are the same thing they have always been.(which is people looking to hire someone to complete work for them.) At a rate that is upwards of 5 times more with an uncapped number of other companies also having to pay for the same "LEAD" then when we used to just purchase credits and respond to the work we wanted to complete?
Furthermore you all used to make like 8 dollars per company that responded to a TV mounting request leaving it so only 5 companies could reply so 40$ profit per request you were making how IS IT HELPING US SMALL BUSINESS TO HAVE TO PAY LIKE 20$ TO REPLY NOW? AND HAVING THAT SAME REQUEST GO TO 20 COMPANIES MAKING YOU ALL 400$ PER REQUEST and making it 5 times harder to get the job cause customers are flooded with that manybdifferent.people contacting them about it.
I have been hired multiple times recently paid for the lead showed up as per scheduled booki g to find out the Customer afcidentally didnt know he had hired like 3 companies to do the same job or a husband speaks to kne company wife talks to another and then show up to an already in progress job with the customer apologizing cayse they were confused and had nonidea it was a different company or that they thought jt was the one that arrjved already etc.... THATS NOT HELPING ANYONE BUT THUMBTACK SO PLEASE EXPLAIN HOW THAT IS HELPING MY BUSINESS GROW? I guess I am misunderstanding what working as partners with small business to help us out actually means.

Regards,
Aaron F

Vb
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
I am not sure what promoting my business works, how much it costs and what I need to do? I went online to thumbtack and went to outdoor landscaping, my profile never came up even when I typed for landscapers in Oakland where I'm based! I used to get jobs through thumbtack but recently even answering a question from someone about when to meet I get charged without ever meeting the client. I am very confused about the entire new system.
0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not - feel free to kick it where it belongs.

Promoting my business has gotten me lots and lots of business. I'm getting a quilt order almost daily! I love it! Sew what's my problem? 

My problem is people doing searches for local quilters and I'm turning up as a local quilter in the SF Bay area and in VA. Uhhh...I'm in Iowa. Therefore, they don't know why I'm showing up in their searches and I sure don't know what to tell them. So I end up paying for leads that I'm not getting hired for because those people are SPECIFICALLY looking for local quilters. I do have in my profile that I'm in Iowa but we all know that not everyone is going to read but please help me understand why I'm turning up in searches that I shouldn't be in and tell me how to fix it.

One thing I would like to suggest is that in this Promoting My Business thing is that it would be great if it was required for the customer to explain what they are wanting and if I didn't get charged until I actually respond to the request. I am responding to all the requests but as stated above, the ones that are looking for local quilters, where I'm not local, would save me money if I could decline them with a simple, "Sorry, but I'm in Iowa" response and not have to pay for that.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with this new Promoting thing. My business is really going great. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

@QuilterinIowa I'm so happy to hear that you love Promoting your business! I looked into your account and I figured out what's going on. In your travel preferences, you have the option I work remotely (phone or internet) selected. When that's selected, you'll receive leads from all around the US. Let me know if you have any other questions about this. 

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

Hmmm...well, that's kinda-sorta-really stupid. LOL  My business is going great but I need people to know I'm not local to them. You all need to figure out how to fix that, OK? Smiley Happy

I definitely see why I'm coming up in the searches like I am. Thanks for the explanation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Thumbtack Employee CourtneyF
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi @best2you, thanks for posting. I'm also tagging other pros who voiced similar feelings about preferring our old system where you paid to quote.

@jneville @Bayareacameragu @kharmabird1 @SHocking @CSUSA @MinisterMichael @TinaBFoto @DaveAlbrechtLaw @PastorHoward @tomdans @tshon @markbogarin @decoradore @Withinteriors @Keithcarter @Petehayden @DJStevie @CSUSA 

I know that there have been a lot of big changes on Thumbtack recently, now that customers are seeing you instantly in search results. The major changes are behind us, which is great! But we’re constantly trying to improve the product as well, which is why your feedback is critical.

We’re going to keep moving forward with the new Thumbtack, and that’s because we’ve seen it work for a lot of pros and customers. In the old system, 80% of customers never saw a pro, so you were missing out on a lot of potential business. Now those customers are seeing pros instantly in search results.

We want this new system to work for you. If you were doing great work and succeeding on the old Thumbtack, I’m confident you can succeed on the new Thumbtack as well. So let me know what suggestions you have! Reply below and share your thoughts.

Solved! Jump to solution

You say 80% of customers never saw a pro? Customers received a lot of pros bidding and you know it because the platform was successful. True, people did complain about not receiving a response and still being charged, but instead of refunding money to the pros, TT decided to increase the fee x 10 and charge once the customer responded. 

CSUSA
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

' In the old system, 80% of customers never saw a pro, so you were missing out on a lot of potential business. '  HUH??

I beg to differ Courtney, and I bet each and every Pro that has expressed displeasure with the new system would agree with me- that the old system provided us a lot of potential business. Using your words to really describe our reality-

In the new system, 80% (+) of Pro's never see enough customer leads, so we are missing out on a lot of potential business.