results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Treewurk
Level 5

Re: Let’s talk about promoting your business

Solved! Jump to solution

This is a prefect example of what eveyrone is talking about...I received a a lead today to remove 3 trees...
The woman responded with can you please tell me what it would cost to to remove this size tree...I asked questions... I tried to explain  that each individual tree is different and I have to see what is around the trees to give an accurate estimate...never heard back from the customer...I am charged $31.45 for this...who benefits from this? The end buyer...no...the Pro...nope again...THUMBTACK....They are the only one who benefits...they get paid and we get screwed...
 How do we fix this...my suggestion is we get charged when we get hired...we either have to mark it hired as we did in the past or the customer does...
 But throwing out good money for bad leads is insane and unsustianable...I can not affored to just pay these incredible high rates for leads and get absolutely nothing in return...we used to only get charge $7 that stings but it doesnt hurt...getting charged over $30 and not even have the opportunity to look at the job...that can get quite expensive...ever since this system has been put in place... I dont get as many leads or the ones I have gotten have already talked to other pros...in the past the customer had the opportunity to talk to 5 pros, now they have the opportunity to talk with 15...please tell me how this benefits the pro? The only one benefitting is Thumbtack $31.45 x 15 is $471.75 ...I can not afford to stay a pro any longer...not unless something is done...and I have been with Thumback since almost the beginning

TinaBFoto
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Courtney I don’t understand how customers saw no pros under the old system. Makes no sense! The only way it seems that I can make myself disguishable in the “new” Thumbtack is by having a very niche subcategory to my pro category. Can you expand the subcategories please as they seem to be so limited and general right now? I emailed Customer Support and as usual got no response. To the other photographer pros on this thread, what other apps are you considering as a substitute to Thumbtack now that we are loosing so much business? I am panicking and need to find alternative solutions asap.
Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

@TinaBFoto I would love to hear more specifics about what your category needs in order to work for you. Can you expand on that a little more? 

0 Kudos
TinaBFoto
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Hi so right now there are 5 basic categories my services fit in "Headshot", "Commercial", "Real Estate", "Pet" and "Portrait".  I also used to have Wedding and Events on however I hate doing engagement parties or babyshowers or weddings, I only needed corporate events but there was no such option so I killed the category all together.

Basically for me to be competitive I had designed various templates for the various types of jobs - under Headshot I would have "Men - Acting", "Men - Street portrait", "Women - in studio", "Women in Street".  Under "Commercial" - I have templates for "Fashion in studio", "Fashion in Street", "Jewelry", "Product Campaign", "Food" etc etc and For Real Estate I only do "Interiors" so if there is an exterior I don't sumbit for it.  I would use the corresponding template based on the details of the job request and by being specific to the customer's needs I would get a lot of business from it.  Since now this ability is taken away from me, the only way I can still be competitive is if I get a customer who is specifically looking for my service - not just general "commercial" photography but specifically - product campaign, jewelry, food, etc.  I will be competitive to that niche because of my examples as photos and template which specifies my experience.  I will never be competitive if I just show up on a list of hundreds of pro falling under the same general umbrella, but I can be competitive if the client sees my portfolio for the specific subject they are looking for.  Do you understand?  If I had the liberty of specificying further my categories of services maybe clients can find me easier?  They list the basic specifics of the shoot anyway when they enter the request so it should be a simple algorithmic adjustment to add a few more keywords to the search.  I was in SF for the TT weekend back in May and they were telling us that if we create "Projects" with specific types of jobs, clients can find us in searches for the specific jobs.  This is basically the same thing I am describing, however right now a client has to first arrive at my profile and then take the time to look at my projects whereas it can be done from the start, make me profitable again and you have a better way of servicing various client needs. 

Chesiaeiral
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

@TinaBFoto TinaBfoto is spot on regarding specifying niche. I am also a phtographer and rely on niche photography to seperate myself from others. $30 on a $300 project is a lot to spend for opportunity to further clarify the project only to learn that they need something outside of your services. 

Moderator Meckell

Solved! Jump to solution

@TinaBFoto your response came through and I can definitely see where you're coming from. I'll be sure to pass all of this feedback on to our Product Team. If you have any further suggestions, please feel free to send me a private message and I'll be sure that it gets passed along. 

0 Kudos
TinaBFoto
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Thanks but how do i generate income in the meantime??
TinaBFoto
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

it is not letting me post my response for some reason.  I think it might be too long??  Can you email me at info@tinabfoto.com  I think I have a good solution.

0 Kudos
FitnessDarek
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

I use the promoting businesss feature, I have 8 reviews, I bumped my budget up to unlimited, I have a competitive wage price, I have done almost all the steps that thumbtack has said to do, but I can't seem to get any hits. I have been on here for 2 months. I have friends that swear by thumbtack and they use it for my same type of business, but so far I have had 1 scam, and 2 flaky customers. What am I doing wrong? 

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @FitnessDarek I want to first welcome you to Thumbtack and congratulate you on building such a great profile in such a short amount of time, you're off to an awesome start! The first thing I'd continue to work on is gathering more reviews when you can. After checking your insights page I found that the avg pro in your area has 11 reviews and those at the top of the results in your area have even more. This page has some great information about how to get more reviews: https://help.thumbtack.com/article/ask-for-reviews. One other small thing would be to add a few more great photos to hit 10, which will help increase your profile score and ranking.

0 Kudos