Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Wy
Level 2

Re: Let’s talk about search results

Solved! Jump to solution

I just know this new system is going to cost me more money and I will have to raise my rates once again to cover your ever rising rates.  The new system is not fair (hence why I will never use Instant Match again).  I WANT/NEED to control who I contact.  I was charged $21 after I sent a quote to a customer who, in return, wrote back..."are you available for my date"?  I quoted because I was available. So very frustrating.  I said yes and never heard back.

Now this, again, "new system" will make great money for THUMBTACK and drain me.  A customer will probably reach out to 4 or 5 Pro's asking to reiterate quotes, not be in the area I work, not be within the time frame I work, etc.  Within the 3 years I have been working via Thumbtack prices and structure has changed 3 times.  

I don't mind competition for a job, but I can't afford to throw money away either.  If I am getting charged for leads outside of my travel area, or outside of my three month window I will be very upset and need to move on to other ways of getting work.  

Highlighted
Pearlpro
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

We need to be able to ask questions without being charged, that's my number one biggest issue, I could bid more work but when I'm charged and then don't get hired

Solved! Jump to solution
What is Thumbtack going to do to assure business owners that using their service is effective ? I have read many responses by tons of biz owners and the frustration seems to be the credibility of the potential customer and wasting tons of $$$ and not having that turn in to profibility.
ReeseTee
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution

Hello:

I am a Top Pro, on TT since 2013. 350+ hires, 220+ reviews (some are even good). I am also the admin for an unofficial Facebook group of TT Pros.

I do NOT have any excitement or optimism for the new program. The "Promoted" plan appears to be a copy-cat of how Home Advisor works. There are thousands and thousands of trades-people who really hate Home Advisor.  And, paying to come up at the start of the search results is straight out of the Angie's List playbook.

I, and thousands of other TT Pro's, will NOT pay to bid on vague leads.  Despite all our plea's and requests for more information on the leads, TT does not want to budge.  Yes, I understand that now we are paying only for a contact. But a vague lead is a vague lead.

Actions speak louder than words. The Pro community desires that TT-corporate be a trusted working partner. There is no trust, very little respect, and most of us are trying to make the best of a difficult situation. 

Just about every move, on the part of TT corporate, over the last year and a half, has upset the Pro community.  Corporate did away with the credit system, and the discount bulk purchase.  You gave us reasons for doing that, but most of us are not buying the stated reasons.

Corporate increased the bid count to 15, (up from a max of five). Again, most of us are not buying Corporates' reasons for doing that.

The few bits of data, under INSIGHTS, when we do bid on a job, have been taken away. Those were helpful, now they are gone.

Many of us have reached the point of "why even bother? they never listen, or at best, they pretend to listen" 

TT-corporate seems to think they are the only game in town. You are not. Many TT Pro's are now working very hard at sourcing business from other places. It is not easy, it is a demand on our time. I'm taking a liberty in speaking for others without permission; but every time a TT-Pro completes a job that was sourced from "not Thumbtack" it's a small victory. 

I have a suggestion:  For all the managment staff in San Francisco, and Salt Lake. How about one day a week, (for the next year) you "ride shotgun" with local TT Pro's, as an unpaid helper? I really do not think that you people at corporate have any clue about how hard some of us work. Maybe some hands on experience will enlighten you.

The Pro's want to trust you, and partner with you, so that both parties are successful. But right now, most of us are thinking: "Why even bother, what's the point, my time and money is better spent elsewhere in order to grow my business."

Reese T. Nov 09, 2018

Blackbox
Level 2

Solved! Jump to solution
I'm a service pro who use Thumbtack before, however since relocating to south Florida i have been unsuccessful in landing jobs and i paid over $100 for lead and never received any phone calls. My reviews are very impressive from NewYork. There were even instance were customers requested me and i paid for there lead and they told they save me for future references. My suggestion is to charge pro when the customer tick us as hired because it makes more sense for the pro and thumbtack. This current system is discouraging and Im surveying other lead services with better offers
CMF
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Another thought would be have them send a request to us as well as being able to see a list of professionals who meet their needs. The client would get even more options and we would still have an opportunity to sell ourselves.
gloriaj0
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

We are general contractors and builders in the Midwest.  Our response ration has plummetted in the last year or so with thumbtack.  Now that the prices are considerable higher I don't respond to very many of your listings. I have found other local, free avenues that generate 3-4 calls a day. But I do have two solid suggestions that could entice me back to purchasing postings.  SUGGESTION 1:  Offer an ASAP listing section.  Sometimes I have extra manpower where I send someone out for a small job,  Maybe offer special posting for jobs within the next 30 days.  SUGGESTION 2;  Dutch Auction on listings that don't move. Everyone is complaining about the higher prices and some posting are just never answered.   This is not because they aren't viable jobs.  But the thumbtack estimater has over evalutated the cost to answer.  I am not going to pay $75 to maybe get a job where I net $800.  But if the posting doesn't move in 12 or 24 hours, drop the answering price.  If still not answered in a another 2 hours, drop the price again.  It is better to get three people answering after 36 hours for $30 each than no answer at all.  Hope that helps.

Ruby
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

And so, If I open the "Promote" I will continue to get requests for 15 minute appts. when it's clearly stated that I have a 2-hour minimum?  That Middle Eastern Entertainment requests that my henna services, technically, are under but they want belly dancers and oud players?   Requests for henna at a pool party, not realizing that you can't get it wet for at least 8-12 hours after application? 

Those of us in the henna/facepainting biz can be variable from client to client.  There is much the client may not understand-Will the face paint sweat off if I go dancing at a rave?  Can you do it cheaper because they are just gonna wash it off in a few hours.  How much you say you charge?  I can just go to the craft store and buy some stuff and do it myself. 

I have to scrutinize every single request that comes in-often I get requests for less than 1 hour but they are at least 1.5 hours away!  I do travel, but it's for my regular, 2-hour minimum rate + travel/gas.  But they don't read and TT's multiple choice information in our profiles doesn't allow for mix-and match.  Yes, I travel up to 150 miles if they are paying my rate, including gas and travel.  Example:  Cannon Beach from Portland is about a 1.5 hour drive.  I will do it for a 2-hour gig, but they will be paying about double.  But a request for a 15 minute gig that far away?  And you want me to pay for the "promote?"

I have been with TT for a few years and it has been love/hate.  For the most part, you have refunded me for some of the issues that have come up..but this...You can't run my business for me.  I will most definitely NOT be using the promote button.  It means I will probably lose some business that is generated in TT.  But better than losing money for the one-size-fits-all "promote" button.

Solved! Jump to solution
I have used Thumbtack for approx 7 years. It started out great generating new business and now the quality has gone down and I feel I’m blowing through money and the leads aren’t very credible. What can you guys do on your end, to regain my trust and confidence in thumbtack.
carlarhea
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
Okay, so I received an email from Thumbtack asking for my feedback, what I’m excited about, etc....

Well, I’m not really excited much when it comes to Thumtack. I keep seeing where you are asking us what we think and it’s been made clear by the pros that we are not happy with how the pricing works. You are charging WAY too much for us to talk to someone. In your posts and emails you spin it like it’s for our benefit but it’s not, it’s for Thumbtacks benefit only. Most of the people who contact us, do not hire us. So we are paying to talk to someone who may or may not hire us. We should not have to pay for conversations we should have to pay ONLY when we get hired and the amount should be reduced. Your fees are rediculously high. Recently I quoted someone and they asked my availability and I responded and nothing. I messaged again and nothing. I requested a refund from Thumbtack and you just gave me credits. That’s not a refund, that’s “store credit”. I didn’t get my money back, I got $16 worth of another person contacting me. Thumbtack will still get that money.

Right now, I don’t feel like your pros care about the search thing. We don’t need pacified with some lame attempt to make us forget about pricing. It’s obvious we hate it. So stop saying you “hear our concerns” and actually do something. It doesnt take 6 months of you guys sitting in meetings to get it solved.
Pricing suggestions:
Go back to the old system
Or
We pay a low 1-3% of our quoted price of the job when we get hired.
Or
Pay a monthly fee to quote unlimited amounts.