results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Joybonner
Level 4

Re: Let’s talk about search results

Solved! Jump to solution
I feel like this change is a huge disaster! I was already rethinking my advertising since the prices have gone sky high & almost every week I'm being asked to raise my budget to bid on a job!
I was doing really well with the old way of bidding on a DJ job. I did not opt for the instant match because I like to see what the potential client needs, what their date is, where the gig is, how many hours, etc.. so I can make an informed quote. I also feel that personality is a huge reason I was doing well in the past. Now the prices have gone off the charts & I'm getting auto responses like "are you available for my date?" & When I respond I never hear from them again. It's frustrating! And expensive!!! Please go back to the old way of bidding. If the potential client doesn't have time to fill out a very easy form with info for the pro to bid on their job, they probably aren't that serious anyway. I agree with the pro who said "the pro is Thumbtacks client not the other way around!" Please listen to your clients, Thumbtack & hear what we need from you!
leogoz
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution
I have been a professional photographer for over 35 years.I do not know where Thumbtack comes up with these ideas. If a bunch of people are sitting around the room trying to come up with something that they feel is better for me as a professional it is not working. This new system that they're implementing is absolutely the worst. I do not want to be in search results so somebody with a very low budget or other requirements that I may not want to bid on or photograph contact me. Once they contact me without my input I have to pay. There are so many reasons this is wrong. I want to choose which customers I am willing to reach out to. I may be booked that day, their budget may be too low, their requirements may not fit my style of photography, I may want to take the day off or be on vacation. This is absolutely the most ridiculous thing that Thumbtack has come up with. Please stop coming up with ideas that are for my benefit. I do not want to be in search results, and if that's not possible I want to cancel anything and everything I have to do with thumbtack.
Rconti4
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution

New system- old system it does not matter. Your system does NOT work for caterers.

it is not possible for a caterer to submit a submit a quote without talking to the customer.

a caterer needS to know:

What is the menu to be????  Hot Dogs--------------Lobster.

What level of service??

What is the venue like?

Special diet-- can greatly effect the cost and amount of labor. Gluten free- not nuts"???

single serve products vs. China  Washing facilities??

PLUS DOZENS OF OTHER QUESTIONS

Cannot quote without talking to the customer

Highlighted
Thumbtack Employee cjk
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback, @Rconti4! We understand that not every pro is able to give a price estimate up front. One thing you can try is adding your starting prices if they’re available for your service. This helps customers understand the minimum they can expect to spend. And to set customers’ expectations, you can add a quick note to your profile to explain why talking to them or seeing their job in person is so important to putting together an accurate estimate.

Once a customer reaches out, make sure to communicate that you’d love the chance to learn more about their project and give them a more personalized quote.

A big thank you to these pros who posted feedback voicing similar concerns.

@RCPS @DJStevie @Fastef @ALLSteve @Shuddrbug1 @ToonGuy @MYteddydog1 @tjgholar @redfoxdinners @Mcaskey @Bryant @Rconti4 @nyureyez @HedgehogHS @Al9226 @StrangeEvents @Pearlpro @NanSeaLee @JMJ-Locksmith @Hortaa @MinisterMarge @PMorse @carlarhea @nolaelopements @Joybonner @FoM @Tigerwebster @aubergine @pucksandgrub @Marioninyc @Aleme @Mizzterria05 @CanadA9457 @kimkotary @Henry @koti0007 @Diceofseven @mickeynightrain @Campingram @Joker187 @reelcello @HappyPaws @judyG @petermooremusic @KSV4U @Cpfahler @lsepeds @LisaW @SRL @justplainolstev @khmom222 @fredascott @sputinc @Jayhawkfan12 @fryborg @1jc @parijatajain @TGJ @SMConstruction @RBG @elwell @Rickbeau @tloomis @CabinetmanTom @CelikPI @Mdempsey @QueenC @sony8060 @Dvoights @KitKat @Michael1 @andamayo25 @DougLaRue @HSB7 @AAArchitect @Rdouthit @FauxNouveau

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution
@cjk,
The entire purpose of Thumbtack, as a service, is to CONNECT pros with customers as quickly and painlessly as possible, so pros can get customers and jobs fast and customers can get their work done quickly. It seems, however, that what Thumbtack is really doing now is placing additional barriers between the customer and the pro, like a series of pay walls. Imagine if you went to read a news story online and you got charged just for clicking the link, then had to fill out a form, then got charged again to see the first paragraph of the story, then had to fill out another form, then got charged to finish reading the story. This is basically Thumbtack in a nutshell. And when the pros that actually pay for the service to exist overwhelmingly say they don't like how the system functions, all they get from the reps is "maybe you should do these additional 12 things to make things 'easier' for yourself." Stop adding steps and dollars between pros and customers and just link is in one step and get out of the way...
bonnie_bill
Level 8

Solved! Jump to solution

Excellent analogy, @SMConstruction. You hit the nail on the head!

Solved! Jump to solution

"One thing you can try is adding your starting prices if they’re available for your service." cjk, TT employee.

To which I must ask "How much will I pay for a new car?"

That question, of course, cannot be answered, because there's not enough data there. So it is with many of us TT pros, particularly in the construction-related trades.  Trying to foist this approach on us just tells us that TT doesn't understand that simple principle---or won't acknowledge it because it doesn't fit the new business model.

I said in my previous post that TT should collaborate with its Pros to design questions for new customers that actually provide useful data to the Pros and help them decide whether to pursue a lead. It will certainly help to eliminate the tire-kickers and looky-loos. Does that concept have any traction at all with the bosses?

And is there anywhere on the customer side where the new potential customer is plainly made aware that a Pro will be charged for simply communicating with him? There sure should be. "There's never a fee to you, the customer. Our Pros are charged a predetermined fee once you and he establish communication. Once done, there are no further fees, and you and he are free to work out the details of your request." Really, how hard is that? It would make customers aware that we pay up, even if they turn out to be not serious shoppers, and maybe eliminate at least part of that frustration.

MYteddydog1
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

My problem with bidding is that I do such a wide  array of work and need a lot of information ! Lately I have bid very few jobs because as soon as a potential customer responds with anything it costs me on average of Seventy dollars just to get more information and the chance of getting the work is very slim as I can't give them a decent bid without at least speaking with them ! And there are probably several other pros paying that same average with the same odds of getting the same work ! And we are all getting screwed with the odds that they are just lookyloos ! Your system is sadly broken and is going to drive many of us talented pros away ! I find myself passing on almost every job because of the ridiculous costs ! Just to find that the customer isn't even close to hiring anyone . You need to figure a way to get a first response with more information at a low price and then a legitimate price, if the responsible bid is then offered ! Otherwise I will be closing my account and go to someone who has a base monthly fee or whatever ,so that I can establish a monthly budget ,because the present system leaves me losing money on non serious customers ! Change it back or I am gone gone gone !

Jayel24
Level 1

Solved! Jump to solution

Im really not feeling this new format and I believe if a clilent contacts me and I pay to respond, but they dont utlize my service I should be able to get my funds back!!! There has to be some type of recourse for that, and I hate the instant match feature!!!  just throw the whole idea away..

DJStevie
Level 12

Re: client does not reply back

Solved! Jump to solution
I got charged for 2 generic replies, was told by rep today that the generic reply "are you available on my date?", constitutes interest from customer. I didnt have chance to accept, decline, review profile but got charged. This needs to stop.