results: 10
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
EE-Level
Level 5

New 2019 top pro status, 71 views and 0 leads over the last week, what’s wrong with this picture?

Thumbtack’s new format seems to have eliminated some original pros while new ones who may not have the best qualifications and seniority are now getting the leads. This isn’t about promotional adjustments as much as it is about Thumbtack making profitable changes to benefit Thumbtack.
Bottom seems to be that original pros despite their qualifications, are now just a number as Thumbtack expands.
Occupations (1)
States
10 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: New 2019 top pro status, 71 views and 0 leads over the last week, what’s wrong with this pict...

@EE-Level Congrats on your Top Pro status, that's awesome!  With the new system, it's entirely up to the customer as to which pro they decide would be the best fit for them and their project. When they do a search, we show them a list of pros who would be a good fit based on the filters they have set. How pros rank on that list is determined by a few things; Profile completeness, reviews, having their prices filled out, promoting their business, and responsiveness. So, a pro that has more reviews, a completed profile, and is promoting their business will show up higher than another pro who isn't doing those things.
We value all pros, old and new, and we want everyone to find success on our platform. 

0 Kudos
EE-Level
Level 5

Re: New 2019 top pro status, 71 views and 0 leads over the last week, what’s wrong with this pict...

The problem is, your new platform values procedural formality over qualification. And ultimately, it mainly reflects that Thumbtack is now so big, it’s every man/woman for themselves.

which begs the question,

what now distinguishes Thumbtack from a pro just promoting him/herself via a google search ad? At least through google search, there’d be a bigger pool of potential clients seeking for my services. So the problem is now Thumbtack has the option of so many pros, instead of focusing on getting its pros work proportionately or based on real qualifications, it allows people to just choose from a list simply based on self promotion. Again, isn’t that what Google search does for individual businesses seeking clients?

So what distinguishes Thumbtack from one just doing self promotion on his/her own without its platform? After all, the promotion advices given here seem rather formal, general and non-distinctive in terms of self-advertisement.

Moderator Meckell

@EE-Level yes promoting your business is beneficial for pros so that we can get you jobs that you want, and it boosts where you're shown on the list when a customer does a search. That's not all that is taken into account though. As I mentioned above, we show the customers a list of pros and that list is determined by; Profile completeness, reviews, having their prices filled out, promoting their business, and being responsive. We want customers to get connected with quality pros and our goal is to connect them with the best pro possible for the job.

0 Kudos
EE-Level
Level 5

My point still remains that this new open system and list is not much different than a customer doing a google search. The original 5 bidder system at least gave everyone a 20 percent chance of getting hired. This new system doesn’t really promote anyone. It basically just lists pages of people. That isn’t much different from someone promoting himself/herself on google. I think you guys have made thumbtack more complicated and useless for many pros, many of which were the original pros. 

If the top pros only constitutes for a small percentage of pros, why don’t that criteria as in the achievement, list them top on the list? My profile is pretty complete. I believe that customers only respond to the first options your list gives them. They therefore may not care that there may be more qualified pros for their job on the following pages. Maybe a handful might for certain jobs. But I’m certain that most wont bother. If you want to be fair to all pros, how about rotating the pages daily so that customers see a new set of pros daily as opposed to one pool of pros getting most of the hits on the opening page? That would at least show that you guys care for all. But the completeness of profile deciding who lists first isn’t a good argument for customers picking qualified pros.

Hankster
Level 9

So if I don't use Promote I'm not considered a quality pro in Thumbtack's eyes?

Moderator Meckell

@Hankster that's not the case at all. We don't believe a pro is more of quality or not due to promote. The reason you rank higher when promoting is because you're more available to customers.
Your profile definitely speaks for itself as well do your reviews. Keep up the great work! 

0 Kudos
Hankster
Level 9

Thank you for the clarification. I work very hard at my craft to have the kind of profile that I do. 

Pat
Level 6

@Meckell wrote:

@Hanksterthat's not the case at all. We don't believe a pro is more of quality or not due to promote. The reason you rank higher when promoting is because you're more available to customers.
Your profile definitely speaks for itself as well do your reviews. Keep up the great work! 

This is patently untrue. The reason you rank higher when using promote has NOTHING to do with your qualifications, as anyone can see, it is simple economics. By using promote, I am certifing that I am willing to pay Thumbtack more. It is not necessiarly show the customers the best option. I am guarenteeing that I will pay Thumbtack for whateven scraps they through my way. Nothing more, nothing less. You can try putting lipstick on a pig, but everyone still knows it's a pig.

MR
Level 10

@Pat 

Regarding your statement: The reason you rank higher when using promote has NOTHING to do with your qualifications, as anyone can see, it is simple economics. By using promote, I am certifing that I am willing to pay Thumbtack more.

This situation can be spun in many ways by a website lead provider, but at the end of the day, what you say is the ultimate truth. That said, at least in my field of legal services, and I am sure others, most of the online lead and lawyer directories do the same thing - its how the business makes money.

That said, most do mark the "promoted" pros with a designation such as "Ad", "Promoted", or "Sponsored Pro"... Just like if you buy adwords on Google, your ad is cleary marked as a paid ad that purchased priority screen location. The websites who do not provide that designation are not trusted by many lawyers.

There has been some litigation on exactly this point - but sadly there still is no definitive direction on the legal position of this issue.

With this designation, consumers can make an informed choice of what they are buying and know that the top rated pros paid for the top ranking. They can factor that into their decision making process as to whom to select.

TT does not use such a designation. They should - its the right thing to do so that the consumer is making informed decisions and not led into mindset that may not be the truth.