Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
Dessi
Level 6

New Platform

I am really impressed with the new platform and the Thumbtack team should know this. Nobody else offers this.
I know it's taken a herculean effort and it still demands a lot of everyone. But I am truly proud and feel priviledged to be part of this new image. I got to see the customer view last week and now going in more detail into the enhancements for Insights, the short succinct courses on a particular topic. It's just outstanding, really clean presentation, no more and no less than it's needed. And the support team is so well oiled and so responsive, given all the moving pieces.
Just psyched to be part of what promises to be an unbeatable services search engine done in tune with the current consumer generation. I've been with the platform since 2014 and it's really impressive the level it has reached now after these latest changes. Some really smart people are thinking behind the curtain. I was skeptical about the changes, but the T team has done an incredible job. The more I learn about the platform, the more impressive. Step over dinosaur old styles of the 2000s!
Occupations (1)
States
18 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: New Platform

@Dessi thank you so much for reaching out! I'm truly happy to hear that this change is something you're excited about for you and your business. You've been killing it on Thumbtack and I hope nothing but more success for you in the future. What are you most excited about with our new platform?

Dessi
Level 6

@Meckell, I think the new Thumbtack, from platform ease of use, to content, to customer support interaction, to flowing with the vibes of the millenials, is a really professional look that takes a lot of work to accomplish. So the barrier for entry for someone else is big. There will always be app-based listing services, but getting quality pros and building what's in place takes work and time. The massive work that has been done at Thumbtack is what leads to the creation of Amazon for Services. I'm really excited about how my profile looks - from customer reviews, to credentials, to Q&A - and I hear there will be more enhancements. The biggest difference for me in interacting with Thumbtack (vs. a "dinosaur") is that I have a partner in marketing, someone to back me up, someone who roots for me. I recognize that Thumbtack's success translates to my success, and my experience with Thumbtack is that it operates recognizing that my success is Thumbtack's success. Knowing that makes me want to be a better practitioner every day.
Moderator Meckell

So amazing @Dessi. Thanks again for sharing! 

@Dessi

Have you read any of the other 400+ replys on the new platform??   How it's instantly charging the pro money, with no client interface/connection?  

Dessi
Level 6

Hi @AutumnElectric!
I am in the massage and PT fields (see ConnectedBodyInGravity.com) and don't know how things are in the electric services world. I have two hats - therapist by nature, and business person by nurture. As a sole proprietor I always make choices how to invest my time best. I haven't read the other 400 comments because I don't think it's a good use of time to read people's complaints. Instead, I thought how I can use the platform to the best of my advantage.
I used to be on Instant Match for the summer and I also saw a lot of charges that were not viable leads for me. I got on the phone with the help desk quite a few times to resolve this (many constructive conversations) and in the process learned what would work for me. With the change in platform, I decided to drop off of Promoted Services (Instant Match) and this would assure that I hand-pick the things I get charged for. Prior to that I had also looked at the Advanced Settings to make sure I don't get matched with requests that are not viable for me. Being off Promote/Instant Match led me to choose between paying only for what I hand-pick but showing much lower on the pro list, or showing as #2 pro and paying for the value of that by being charged for something that won't materialize. I have 83 reviews, 4.9 stars, hired 134 times, and I'm really pleased with the profile I've built over 4 years. Here is what I gained by getting back on Promote, and I decided the extra cost was worth it: 1) my prices show which pushes me up the list, 2) the "high-demand" tag shows, 3) I show as #2 on the list. I also tinkered with my profile description to make sure people see my address and services, as well as website. All this eliminated people not being clear where I'm located and the driving involved and asking for my prices, which were the main drivers of undesired charges before. I can weigh the cost of having to do Google Ads ($500, no return) or Yelp advertising (horrible interaction with them, $1,700 no ROI) instead, and the occasional $6, $10, etc. is a much better choice.
Get off Instant Match/Promote and see how that works for you. You'll hand-pick what you get charged for.

@Dessi  I'm glad it works for you and you're happy with the pricing structure, you are one of the few.  For me, the use of Promote would cost me considerable, unrecoupable monies. With 90% of my clients, I need to see their house, in order to come up with an accurate estimate for electrical work.

This morning's example, client contacted me, he wanted recessed light fixtures installed and some receptacles rewired, on the outskirts of my geographical area.  He aready purchased the fixtures, receptacles, and switches, 'just needed me to bring my tools'.  Once again, I would have to see, or at least speak with him, to determine if there was an accessible attic, if this was a ranch home, otherwise I'd be chopping walls & fishing ceilings. Knowing he's already purchased material, the job wouldn't be cost effective for me (I work on a fixed price, rather than hourly).  Had promote been on, this job would have cost me $25 when the client contacted me and I still would have declined the job, simply knowing the above information. 

As I 'viewed competition', this client had contacted no less than 9 other pros, two of whom replied to him.  

I'll leave Promote off, that way I can pick and choose who I want to quote.

Dessi
Level 6

@AutumnElectric, I would leave Promote off too in this case and hand-pick what I respond to, but make sure my speed of response is competitive.
I am a soft tissue therapist and use applied neurology in my clinical work which I advertise under the PT category. I prefer to reach out to the customer with a very specific message describing the approach, and this is not an option under Promote. Also quoting for PT is more expensive. So I turn Promote off and reply as quickly as I can to requests that match my geo area.
In summary, I use the platform the best it can suit my business model and think of strategies. The best use of time in my mind is to make meaningful constructive siggestions, and give credit where credit is due. After all, I've chosen to use the platform with great awareness what the other viable options out there are.
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

@Dessi Thank you so much for these thoughtful responses. It helps so much to see how the platform is working for other pros! 

Dessi
Level 6

Right, @DustiO?
The forum has a lot of valuable information, and as a business person I am unearthing the gems in it in terms of good strategies and outlook on handling economics.
I think it will push TT and all pros up several levels of growth to keep the ideas flowing in a very constructive, best-approach tone. As in "here is what other platforms do better, let's see if we can match or beat that." I would not sign up for a platform if it doesn't have a good prospect for making money and being around long.