Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Re: No Client Budget...How Will Fees Be Determined?

Solved! Jump to solution

We can't "evaluate the job accurately" for their budget IF WE DON'T KNOW THEIR BUDGET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People think photography is a commodity!!!!!!!! It's NOT! It's a LUXURY!!!!! So, yes, when we evaluate all those other factors, it tells us where the job should be priced. We know its about TT's bottom line, so stop trying to tell intelligent people that can do the math, that this will all be so wonderful for us!!!

Its the exact same thing as what Marco said about providing us with phone numbers. 4 years ago he actually said in a video, that the removed the phone numbers because too many pros were calling in for refunds because the phone numbers were bogus. So instead of us having the ablity to validate that a lead was bogus and skip it, our ability to veryify the validity was taken away!!!! SAME THING HERE!!!!! If we don't know that it's a $3500 job with a $350 budget, we'll bid it and they'll contact us to ask a worthless question that will cause us to be charged!

And now we lose business!!!! Because when I see that the budget is less than $500 and they want 10 hours, I bid $495 for two hours and sell them on quality over quantity. But now I cant' do that, so I completely lose out on the job because I bid it at $3500 where it should be and they have no clue that I could have given them 2 hours of beautiful imagery. So, instead they get some clueless amateur for $300 for 10 hours and a worthless disk of snapshots that they'll cry over because they now have no reall images of their wedding day. So, this not only screws us out of getting the job, but it screws the customer out of getting a properly done job.

Solved! Jump to solution

Oh, great, what a relief... it's not for every category of pro, only EVERY CATEGORY OF PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I feel so much better that the core of this change is directly to every aspect of my industry!

leogoz
Level 5

Solved! Jump to solution

It used to be I make money you make money. I understand that it is up to me to use this service. It is to bad that we and Thumbtack can not be in buisness together.

mm
Level 7

Solved! Jump to solution
That’s a lot of “mays” and “coulds”. Not very inspiring.

You could simply get rid of the low budget options and start at the $1000 range like we’ve been suggesting for years.

Re: No Client Budget... RIDICULOUS budget options! NOT real world pricing!

Solved! Jump to solution

No, that doesn't work. Don't even go there with the $1000 minimum! I begged for years for them to add (believe it or not!) LOWER budget options because I was so fed up wasting time bidding, only to find out they had a $100 budget. People would choose any random budget option because their budget was lower and none of the options fit. All these $50 and $100 requests were coming in for engagement photography, but saying they had budgets up to $500. After harping on TT for quite some time, I got them to install an option for "$100 or less". I've now beeen able to pass on those, being that it's impossible to work in that budget. Since that time, it's actully much less common for people to choose that option. They only select that a couple times a year.

I've also been BEGGING AND PLEADING for TT to add wedding options that have something to do with real world wedding photography pricing! The options start at $250 and only go up to $2000. Then there's an option for "over $2000". This is a major problem because people EVERY DAY are putting in budget options where the price of the job is TEN TIMES the budget! Sometimes even more! How a person is allowed to request 10 hours of wedding photography for $250-$500 is beyond me! One request wanted two photogs and video for 14 hours plus 400 edited images in albums... it was a $57,000 job and they had a budget of $1500. SERIOUSLY? ?????

Several more categores need to be added to the higher range of event photography because right now, it tops off at 50% less than the averager actaul pricing! The average price of wedding photography nationally is $3500, and in NY its $3800. AVERAGE!!!! TT's highest range option is 50% below the AVERAGE cost!!! So even if something comes through at $2000+, I've still no idea where their budget is! Is it $2000, $2500, $3500, $5000, or even more?

TT also needs to STOP promoting photography services "Affordable"!!!! THAT'S why all these insane requests come through with the cost being 10-15 times the budget! I'M NOT KIDDING!!! In every category I pass on a dozen requests a day because they have inane budgets!!!! But TT forces us to discount because it promotes us as "affordable", offers inane budget options, and then pits 14 of us against each other, driving prices desperately low so if we want to eat, we've got to cut pricing. I'm down $9000 this year from my session fees being cut to $150 because I'm bidding against 14 other, where I used to charge $295 and be hired because there were only 2-3 other bids!

TT dominates the first listing in google on a search for photographers, so there's NO reason to promote it as "Affordable"! When you're sitting at #1 ,THAT'S when you have the opportunity to get clients at NORMAL pricing!!!!! It's beginning to feel like a hooker & pimp relationship. If the math was done on the annual profit for TT vs the annual profit of all of us pros combined, surely it would show that the huge majority of the profits go into TTs pockets, compared to our combinedpocket. We do all the work, but they make way more money. I don't see TT putting 15-25 hours in on each job, as I do. From bidding to contract writing, to followup, to shooting the job, to editing, prepping for selections, then having them in for their selection appointment, to then prepping their selections for the lab, to ordering, to going to the post office to pick up the order, to checking it in, contacting them for pickup, then having them in for pickup, I'm easily into 15-25 hours work per job. If I don't actually make an upsell on that $150 session, I'm making $7.50 an hour, and out of that comes all my overhead and taxes, leaving me with about ***I KID YOU NOT!!!*** $1-$2 per hour of net pay!!! So, yeah, something needs to be fixed!

Highlighted
Candi
Level 7

Re: No Client Budget... RIDICULOUS budget options! NOT real world pricing!

Solved! Jump to solution

Defininglamagery, I hope they are not treating us all the same. Cause we are not the same. I am a Travel Agent, I work from there budget. For example, if I try to book you on the Queen Mary cruise. This cruise is the people who can afford a high budget cost. I was selling it to you and you have a middle-class budget. You would be I can't afford that and I want it my time.  So, knowing your budget that you want to spend save me time and money. The client disappointment!

I understand that not all of us need the same thing. That is where I feel that TT needs to take notice of their clients, us. They are helping us get clients they need to know each one of our tools that use for our clients to better serve our needs for the needs of our clients. 

jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution
Google Weddingwire and see what their number one step is to planning a wedding ........ #1. SET YOUR BUDGET. Google “steps to plan your wedding”. Setting a budget is in the top three. Same goes for us Pro videographers and photographers. We can work working budgets - just let us know what it is. This is really unbelievable Thumbtack has made yet another move in a direction that is not helping Top pros for sure. Truly disappointed is all I can say. I’m wasting time responding to requests and I don’t want to be instantly matched - especially not knowing a budget. It’s double the work and so now how does Thumbtack determine who those 10 instant matches will be? If there are 20 that are instant match people that want in ??? Crazy. Go back to anout two years ago and just follow that model - if customers are not happy because they are not getting response - then educate them that $200 budget for 8 hours of video is not standard professional and direct them to Craigslist or their local high school or college.
jcp
Level 9

Solved! Jump to solution
I can not believe that Thumbtack executives think that not knowing what someone’s budget range is for photography or videography or any profession that has many variables- is a fantastic opportunity for us pros. I’ve been hoping this last month that voices were heard and things were going to change but now this? Wow. Really just don’t know what to say. My disappointment is beyond words. The successful past three years I’ve had. I can’t even recommend your services anymore. And I recommend so many people to your site in the past. I don’t feel confident and excited anymore. I truly hope your team finds its way back to the success everyone felt before. I was at the LA gathering of top pros and just about every one there I met experienced great success about two years ago. And there were about 90% of us in that room that had many complaints. Take a look at all the red notes that were up on the wall. Compared to the green. I took a photo if you need to see it. Though Im fortunate so far that the few people I have quoteed contacted me and I’m working with them. But overall numbers way down. Not seeing someone budget ? My eyes go to that first and then the hours needed. Then the cost to quote. All these help determine if I’m the right fit. Customers want to know that too. They don’t want 15 quotes all out of their range. I’m pretty sure that will be the customer complaint very soon. “I got 15 quotes that were all way too high! “. Well yeah - 8 hours of video coverage can’t be done for $250. Well - Maybe it could be - maybe someone would work with that. Anything is possible. - But not knowing their budget? Come on. Really? Really.
TackMaster ChefPaulStaley
TackMaster

Solved! Jump to solution

This change is ridiculous! With my services, the price range could be drastically different based on the style of food/service that they want to have. Now I just have to blindly guess if this client wants a budget friendly service or high-end/formal. And considering that the price range is anywhere from $25 per person to $100 per person, the chances of me being accurate to what they want are slim. And now I will be getting charged the new heavily inflated prices for jobs that I wouldn't even have bid on in the first place if they respond. And I will now have to bid on everything, wasting my time because I can't filter based on price. I will now have to bid on jobs I never would have before, and not finding out if it is a job I am even interested in until afterwards. And now the client will have to sift through more bids that may not even be close to their budget, making them possibly feel cheap and daunted by quotes that aren't suitable for their plan. How is having less information ever a good thing!?! I have been a staunch supporter of Thumbtack for years, but this is absurd.... It isn't better for the clients, it isn't better for the pros. It seems like the only one who benefits from this is Thumbtack. You all use to put your pros before profit. I miss those days... I hope this ridiculous change gets rolled back immediately 

DCFGCatering
Level 8

Solved! Jump to solution
ha