Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
TackMaster ChefPaulStaley
TackMaster

Re: No Client Budget...How Will Fees Be Determined?

Solved! Jump to solution

@MeckellSo we get charged the same for a job that is $10 per person as a job that is $100 per person? And that video did not explain it at all. You all just keep repeating the same thing, no matter how little sense it makes. You specifically stated in a previous reply that the cost to us will be based on what the job is worth. You cannot know how much the job is worth without a budget, plain and simple. Again, there could be a difference of 500%+ between jobs that we could now be charged the same fee for.

TackMaster

Solved! Jump to solution

Still waiting on an explanation of how they base their pricing. If it is based on how much a job is worth, but they don't have any budget info, than their pricing is completely arbitrary. So, at any moment, they can just decide to charge more for certain jobs with no reasoning whatsoever. And it isn't really based on what a job is worth because they have no clue (again, no budget so how could they). It has been made abundantly clear that TT does not know how the catering world works, so what information are you using and what experience is utilized in coming up with the pricing numbers?  Unclear explanations, or complete lack of explanations combined with arbitrary pricing and access to my bank account sounds like a really bad combo.

Moderator Kameron

Solved! Jump to solution

@ChefPaulStaley the value of the job has never been calculated by the budget the customer would set. Hopefully, this helps to clarify, the cost of each connection is determined by a variety of things including:

- The service you offer. For example, contractors will pay more for a customer response than a balloon artist, because there is a much higher potential payout.

- The size and details of the job (not including customer budget). This looks more at the details of the customer’s job specifically. Things like the number of guests that will be attending, if the customer wants dessert and/or beverages included, or if the customer wants small bites served versus an entire buffet. Certain answers that the customer gives when creating their job are things that factor into this. Each are weighted differently and will vary for each service, as we know that details are sometimes subject to change.

- The amount of competition in your area. If there are a large number of pros around you that offer the same service then the cost to connect with the customer could be higher. Whereas if you’re one of a few pros in the area that offer that same service the cost will differ

- How the customer responds. A phone call or confirmed booking is going to be worth more than a small message or conversation starter that the customer chose to send. In many cases, the actual sentiment of the message is even taken into account.

As mentioned by JasonB in the announcement of prices up front. “We realize there’s still more work to be done to make sure we’re charging the right prices for customers who contact you. We’re constantly reevaluating the prices we charge and we’re constantly looking for ways to improve them. Stay tuned.”

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TackMaster

Solved! Jump to solution

@Meckell  How will refunds be determined? I very rarely if ever take jobs under $20.00 per person, so do I get a refund for every client who contacts me with a budget less than that? I should, because I wouldn't have bid on those jobs if I had known. On certain dates where I am already booked and have to hire extra staff, I only bid on jobs with a higher budget. Will I get refunded for every contact that doesn't meet my desired client budget for that date? On holidays, I take higher end clients only, as that is the only way it is worth it to miss out on my family time, so do I get refunded on those that aren't very high budgets on holidays? When I book jobs that are destination events (+4 hours travel time each way) I can only take high-end clients, so will I get refunded for those that don't meet my budget requirements?  I'm sure there are many pros who would like an answers/clarity to these type of questions.

Solved! Jump to solution

That is absolutely NOT true AT ALL! The cost of the bid goes up with the budget range of the job. Absolute fact! The more expensive the job, the more we pay. Period! I even had the price list directly from TT! It gave the budget range for each type of job, and the cost of bidding. The bid cost went up step by step in line with the budget. I know because I freaked when I saw the numbers!

Vensent
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

That makes even less sense.  "the value of the job" is what the customer is willing to pay.   Or it could be the market value which could be way more than the customer is willing to pay thus costing the pro much more for the contact even if they get the low paying job of a higher value the pro is paying more for it that it is worth.    That even adds insult to injury. 

0 Kudos
g_yurk
Level 4

Big Mistake to Eliminate Request Budgets

Solved! Jump to solution

I've been using Thumbtack for several years and have spent several thousand dollars and have made several thousand more. I started spending much less after the pay-per-quote option was eliminated. I've just been really picky about the jobs that I still quote and the only way for me to discern whether the request is worth quoting is the budget listed. I'm pretty sure from reading several other opinions on this that most other pros feel the same way. Instant Match wasn't received with open arms by the pros who pay the salaries of Thumbtack employees and this trainwreck of an idea will be my last straw, if it's not reconsidered. I've heard many, many pros say the same thing. I really enjoyed Thumbtack when they were more concerned with creating a platform where everyone could win. The only thing it seems that Thumbtack cares about now is that they win, which is exactly what I see making them lose in the end.

TackMaster

Solved! Jump to solution

I have been a staunch supporter of Thumbtack for almost a decade and, while I haven't initially agreed with some of their changes, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Even the last pricing increase has evened out and has worked out for me. But this latest change of removing the budget is absurd and makes it impossible to bid.

This is a move that certainly does not have the customers' or pros' best interest in mind. It is literally the most important piece of information needed to give a quote or to even know if I am even the right fit for the customer. Now the customer will have to sift through a bunch of bids that would never have been sent in the first place and pros will be spending time on bids that they would not have sent had they been given the proper information up front. I would love to know how this is somehow better for anyone, as I have never seen budget eliminated from any lead generator service, anywhere... They are trying to sell it to us with a vague explanation that the customer might spend more if they don't have to choose the budget beforehand, but that is just wrong, plain and simple.

You could earn more - Almost EVERY SINGLE ONE of my clients have a budget in mind before they start the planning process, so this reasoning is completely inaccurate, as the cusomter isn't going to see a bunch of expensive quotes and think "I just need to spend more," they will just take the cheapest quote sent or skip our services all together, making it a waste of time and energy for all involved. Less information is never a good thing.

We want you to set the job price—not the customer - I already determine the prices of the jobs I take by only bidding on the ones I am a good match for, so that line of reasoning is equally as inaccurate as the client spending more. If price negotiation is needed, it is done with the client through the contact process.

We will be able to evaluate the job more accurately - How in any way does taking away the most vital piece of information available help us be more accurate? Please enlighten me as to how having no clue as to what kind of budget they have helps give them a more accurate quote... Or even give me one example of any other type of transaction you enter into with absolutely zero idea of the money involved... Do you blindly buy a car? Do you look for housing without a budget? Do you go out to a restaurant and hope it is within your price range? No.

Will we be refunded for jobs that we wouldn't have bid on in the first place and what is the system for these refunds? Where is the protection for the pros in all of this? I know that this is a voluntary service and I don't HAVE TO continue using Thumbtack, but as someone who has spent thousands of hours utilizing this site and building a business model that is somewhat centered on Thumbtack, this is a huge blow and I feel fairly abandoned by a company who has before always prided themselves on being a "partner" in my endeavors.

ChefZacki
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Exactly my take on this new change maker. It might be different if you are the lawn boy and your business model is simple. It is much more detailed for catering and you need a "budget range" to even bid and not have to guess.

Today, I received an inquiry for a wedding shower;; 50 guests and a Latin food choice for dinner. I filled in "fixed price" as there is no longer a place for "need more information." Quoted $28 pp. The correspondence was that the budget was $10...and they would not need my services...Been trying to get the TT Utah center on the phone for 2 hours and the prompts do not work. I want a refund for this unnecessary expense that would not have happened even last Friday when they filled in the budget question. It is essential. 

Chef Zacki

mbidstudio
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

The interior design catagory expereinced the lack of this information out about a year ago. It is very hard to qualify clients without this information. One of the many changes that hurt the Pro.