Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
cgema
Level 7

Should I even bother responding to things in the "jobs" link?

I tried promote... it lieterally cost me a ton and I got no jobs and every ghosted.    To be honest I question if they were even real.     So I shut promote off after seeing that one job was sent to a ton of other pros.     I now get "jobs" listed in the jobs section.   50% aren't even anywhere near where I live so those I delete.    I respond to all the others,  used to do so immediately but I've been laxed this week just cause it feels pointless.   I haven't gotten one response.   I even threw in a discount just to see if I could get the job and no response.    

So can someone explain just waht these listings are in the "jobs" section and what else I can possibly do.   I'm on a hamster wheel going nowhere here with TT and I almost wonder if there is some secret formula I'm not aware of.

5 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: Should I even bother responding to things in the "jobs" link?

@cgema, when you were promoting, did you also make sure to set your budget where you needed to control the amount you spent each week? The majority of the time when pros are getting hired it's from being found and contacted directly through the search results. 

When it comes to the jobs tab these jobs will come in when a customer has already reached out to a pro directly from the search results. It's meant to be more of a secondary way for pros to introduce themselves to customers. The listings there will be of a wider variety and distance for pros to pick and choose from, but we're currently working on a way for those to be sorted by distance.

0 Kudos
cgema
Level 7

Yes... I set a budget and had to do a different one for every specialty I wanted to promote.  I blew through that budget long before the week was over and then I had to promote multiple different specialities because it wasn't all grouped under one.    Again I would be fine with paying this if those leads actually responded or turned into jobs.    I simply can't afford to get spending money that doesn't get me anywhere.   

Sounds like responding to the jobs isn't productive either if these have already reached out to others and haven't hired anyone.

Most of the leads I recieve in the jobs link are not vetted in the least. Example: Two days ago I recieved a lead "This customer requests you" and the person answered to the wrong service! I teach cooking AND I am a Personal Chef. Two services that are clearly posted. I asked customer service about it and heard the usual run around cookie cutter replies. There have been other instances such as this. TT ays that they respect our preferences and settings, but clearly they are ignored. That is why I do not promote.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Thanks for reaching out @ChefOfAllSeason, We definitely do respect your preferences and I want to look into this to get a better idea of the situation. Can you send me a private message with the name of the customer?

0 Kudos

Thumbtack really needs a way to better qualify/vet their leads. There's no reason for us to get charged $20 because a tire-kicker is curious about their next pet project that they aren't dedicated to.

I'm mostly in video production and I don't touch anything in "Jobs" unless it's clear the lead has put time and effort into their gig proposal. As a freelancer, I would love to only see jobs with certain information filled out.

The automatching service has been up and down for me. It's mostly been good with event videography, but for video production, Thumbtack has some shady thing going on where they match me with low price clients (leads I would never bite one, in reality) because that lead is in the price range I selected (in this case, "Under $500"). Except, Video Production doesn't let you select a price range. So, I keep paying for leads that I never wanted and Thumbtack somehow matches them to me.

Support's solution to this "issue" of questionable ethics? Don't use auto-matching for Video Production. Great!