Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
topic id 5305: Website Design Pricing
topic id 3937: Unhappy with thumbtack
Highlighted
PhotobyLuigi
Level 6

Soon Customers can find you right away

I received this email from TT today regarding a new feature being released soon.

As I understand from this, (and please correct me if I interpreted it wrong, and I truly hope I did)  you will be incentivating (by offering 20% discount) the use of Instant Match by creating ranks to boost a Pro in the listings postions, hence ranks if one is contacted more ....

This truly scares me now due to the low quality of the leads we are experiencing lately. This translates into more spending for us if we want to rank higher to be seen more... Did I get this right. ?  the 20% will be quickly offset by the low quality of leads contacting us with only one irrelevant sentence to never hear from them again ...  

I understand TT is finding ways to make itself more profitable, but please do not do it at the expense of us the Pros.  There are many of us who like TT and want to keep using it because it has been good in the past, but changes in the last two months have made it much less profitable for me than it was before. 

You must take care of the Pros and the good Pros over all, or the quality of the leads will keep going down if the quality of the Pros decreases as real professionals in the Business will start walking away leaving less quality pros behind...   Something to keep in mind.

States
47 responses
Damemaude
Level 5

Re: Soon Customers can find you right away

No, they are putting you on this list as long as a client wants the service you offer in your area. You have no way to control who contacts you, but you will still be charged if they send you a message. 

ExcaliburSH
Level 5

The email specifically states that you are not charged unless we reply to the customer. Its the same service in reverse. Honestly, I like someone reaching out to me and then I decide if i want it or not rather than wild bidding jobs and chasing people hoping that I dont get undercut by those that are giving away work.
Moderator Meckell

Hi @Damemaude, I just wanted to give you a little more clarification on this. We do not charge you for each customer who picks you out of the list.  If you have promote on, we charge as long as the job matches your preferences.  If you don’t have promote on, or the customer’s job doesn’t match your preference, you can decline the lead at no cost. I hope this helps clear things up, let me know if you have any further questions! 

0 Kudos
Denise
Level 8

How can we ensure that the job matches our preferences?

This seems like Thumbtack may arbitrarily charge us even if we don't think a job matches our preferences.
StevenCee
Level 6

Again, you've added more confusion than clarity...  We're charged if we have "promote" on, if contacted by a customer for a gig that meets our preferences, but then we're not charged if we don't have promote on, or the customer's job doesn't match our preferences?

So, who determines whether their job meets our preferences, your software, or us?  What if we get a requeast and don't see it as meeting our preferences, but we're charged because your algorithms do?

Moderator Meckell

@StevenCee I'm sorry for any confusion. If you have promote on, you should only be getting jobs that match the preferences you have set in your profile. If a request comes in that doesn't match your preferences, it won't get sent to you. If for some reason it does get sent to you, let us know and we'll get things taken care of. 

0 Kudos

@Meckell

There's no way I can list out specific preferences regarding my trade. I have way too many variables; hence, will I get penalized by not using Promote.....of course I will, TT has already stated as much.  So I guess I'll have to wait until the other electrical contractors blow their budgets on worthless quotes/clients and TT realizes this is a failure. But they will never recognize that, as they'll be raking in the fees from US !!!

Angela
Level 5

@MeckellOnce again it feels like TT is all about their profits, and not about giving a good product at a reasonable price. It's great that you're finally allowing customers to contact Pros, but if you're going to do that, why not just create a Pro directory and charge us a fee to be on it, thereby allowing free discourse between Pro and customer? It would keep things cleaner, and allow Pros to run their own businesses instead of what TT keeps trying to do, which is to run it for us. The way you're setting it up now is if a Pro responds to a customer lead with anything other than "I'm not able to work with you.", you're going to charge us. It is not that simple and clear to know if we are able to help a customer without talking to them and having the ability to ask questions to get clarity. By forcing us to give a yes or no answer only, you are saying all you're interested in is getting our money, not in helping us to connect with quality customers that may actually hire us. You want to be a yellow pages of Pros without allowing us the ability to have any control over how much we spend in reality. When there was a yellow pages book, you paid for your ad, end of sentence, nobody tried to get in your business and continually take money from the business. Make up your mind TT, what are you? Step up and give us a good product at a reasonable price just as you expect every Pro to do! Have a Pro directory in alphabetical order with the number of years the Pro has been with TT shown, as well as the number of years they have been in business, without all this extra finagling to get more money from us. Then still have your system of customers that prefer to have Pros' names sent to them be a separate piece, and make sure your forms the customer must fill out be ones that have questions on them the customer must answer so that we have a real picture of the lead. As it is now, there are few required fields on the form, thereby making the lead of very poor quality. 

Marioninyc
Level 4

This roll out was very unclear. I didn't know when I signed up that "promo" meant I was paying for poor quality leads that led nowhere. I only learned this from reading the forum. Then I had to go to chat to turn i off.  

Meantime, I no longer see ANYTHING listed in my major category "ESL". 

I'm almost panic stricken as I relied on Thumbtack for a good portion of my business. 

If I had to I would pay more for good leads -- if I had no choice. But I can't pay for useless leads.