results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Angela
Level 6

Re: Soon Customers can find you right away

@AutumnElectric  I'm seeing the same thing, and I don't have promote on either. So.... @Kameron can you tell us what is happening here? Why are we getting so few leads now? Is it because people are looking through profiles instead of filling out forms, and if we don't have promote on we aren't getting leads from customers looking at profiles? How is this an equitable system, or does TT not really care if it is an equitable system? 

Moderator Kameron

@Angela now that pricing and information that would be included in a quote are up front for the customer to view in pro profiles there have been a fewer amount of jobs created for pros to quote on where the job would have been the customer essentially conducting research. With that in mind, this means that contacts you'll receive are from customers who are likely that much more interested. 

Pros that are not using Promote will still show in the Search Results for customers to find and reach out to. When they do so you'll be notified and be able to choose whether or not you'd like to reply/accept the cost shown. You can also continue to manually quote on jobs that come in through your Jobs page.

0 Kudos
Angela
Level 6

@KameronI am not finding that the customers that have reached out to me are more quality leads. I'm finding they simply ask when is my availability while giving me very little to no information to respond to. TT doesn't allow me to communicate with the customer unless I pay to do so, which leaves me the choice of giving the customer the impression I've ignored them (very bad for my business reputation), or paying for a customer that most likely will still not contact me. I don't put pricing info on my profile, because it is too subject to the needs of the Client, and I don't want to quote inaccurately. 

Moderator Kameron

@Angela if a contact is declined then we simply let the customer know that your not available, so there’s no need to worry about it looking like you’ve ignored them or brushed them off. Certainly up to you if you'd like to include your prices in your preferences. Another thing we’ve seen working is when pros give an outlined explanation of how their pricing works in their profile while stating that it’s a rough estimate and can change depending on the customer's needs. This can at least give customers an idea of if the pro will be within their budget or not.

0 Kudos
kathy
Level 5

Yes - I agree that the mad cycle that thumbtack has been on since WAY overpromising at the conference last spring is going to sink the boat. PLEASE stop changing your interfaces and then rolling them out in ALPHA form over time to different markets. I waited 6 EXTRA months to get Instant Match - which was an improvement for my business - only to learn that within weeks it was going away - to something worse than what we had for years before. The tactics you took to support your strategy of better matching Pros & Customers were backwords. For example - throwing Test Prep tutoring all into one pot, irregardless of 1) how hard the test is, 2) whether the test is in 2 days vs. 4 months etc. should obviously impact the pricing - but no option. Proofreading a 2 page essay and editing a 500 page book, same story. And this is the KILLER: I'm getting promoted/viewed by > 1000 customers/week from all over the country who did NOT check the box saying they were open to tutoring by internet, and then being told by TT MANAGEMENT that it won't be fixed for MONTHS.

PS
Level 4

I used to get a couple of good leads per week, and really built my business on TT. I haven't gotten a lead in a month, and the holidays are coming, which is an extremely busy time for my business. The new system is a disaster. I've done everything I've been advised to. It is very sad. I'm not sure what else to do.
Freshly
Level 6

I just got a lead yesterday directly from a potential client.  Here is the problem.  My profile clearly says I am a plant based (vegan) chef and nowhere on their quote request does it say anything about vegan food. 

First,  if I had responded to the client to clarify, thumbtack would have charged me almost $30 for a lead that probably is not a good fit.  This is how they are making money.....

Second, I decided to decline it and did so, and seems like thumbtack's system doesn't even recognize the fact that I had declined... I keep getting reminders to get back to the client.... 

Their system is completely broken, inefficient, and I don't think they are even listening to their customers which is really "US"...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Moderator Meckell

@Freshly I want to look into this to see what's going on. Can you send me a private message with the name of the customer and any other info you think may be helpful? 

0 Kudos
MichaelMc
Level 4

Same thing happens when I try to decline as well. It takes 2x for the decline option to work and sometimes you can't even give a reason why you declined it. If it's not an exact match to your profile then you shouldn't be sent the job request. If I wanted to pay for leads without any options I'd still be with thieving Home Advisor. Thumbtack is well on their way to being the same.
MichaelMc
Level 4

Yes, this is going to be more expensive for you. You do have the option to decline the job but it better be for a good reason. I have had to pay for several jobs from being promoted. I have even recieved a negative review for not responding to someone's ad. I have been a Top Pro with Thumbtack for 4 years now and what they are doing to make it better seems to only benefit Thumbtack. I would suggest keeping a list of every promoted job that you've declined and a reason why. Then cross reference that list with your weekly billing cycle. You only have 30 days to dispose the charges. I have just started doing this and will try to update this post after my findings.