results: 10
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted
Community Manager LydiaH
Community Manager

Thanks for participating in the Search Results Q&A!

Solved! Jump to solution

This week, we wrapped up our Q&A about the new Search Results experience. We got over 600 posts with great questions and feedback from our pros, so thank you for your engagement and participation!

We know there have been a lot of changes lately and we know it’s not perfect . That’s why your feedback is so critical, so we can keep working to make Thumbtack better!

Our product manager, Chris, wanted to share a little more about the new search results experience:

Check here to see all your great posts with answers from Chris. Take a look! Congratulations to the our raffle winner, @Kmossphoto - you’ll see the credits appear in your account shortly!

Keep coming back to the Community to share your ideas and get the latest news and information about product updates! We’ll let you know here as we implement some of your great suggestions, and thanks again for participating in the Q&A!

1 accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
Thumbtack Employee cjk
Thumbtack Employee

Re: Thanks for participating in the Search Results Q&A!

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks so much to all of you who sent in questions and suggestions on how you’re appearing in search results! We got over 600 responses, and so appreciate all of your interest and passion.

Our team is working through your feedback to make sure the new system is working for you. There are a few aspects of this change that have caused some confusion and concern, and I want to address those carefully here for all of you:

Question: Why did we make this change when many pros are voicing that they preferred quoting for jobs?

Answer: When we let customers search for and evaluate pros right away, customers are more likely to find the right pros and ultimately hire those pros.  

• In the old Thumbtack, every customer had to fill out a long form and then wait -- often hours or even days -- before seeing a single pro.  Think about how you shop for anything -- you would be far less likely to try to use Amazon or drive to a store if they made you fill out your detailed shopping list at the door and you weren't even sure if they had what you needed.
  • Browsing pros in search results gives customers the ability to understand the types of pros in their market and choose who they are most excited to work with. That means when a customer reaches out, they are informed and more serious about working with you.
  • By showing more pros in search results, we’re connecting you with more customers. And you’re only paying for leads-- customers who’ve seen what you offer and have decided to reach out to you.

Question: Can I control which leads I pay for and when?

Answer: Absolutely! We only want you to pay for the leads you want. So we’re giving you new controls to do just that.

• On Thumbtack, you pay for the leads you want. When we send you new leads, you can see the customer’s project details. You can decline the job if it’s not a good fit (and you won’t pay a cent!) or you can pay to respond to the customer if it’s a job you want to pursue.
  • The best way to get more of the leads you want is to promote your business for the jobs you're most excited about. You set your preferences so we know what jobs you want. When you get a new lead that matches these preferences, you’ll pay automatically and get 20% off. You’ll also get a rank boost in search results!
  • After you've promoted your service, check out the Jobs tab and express your interest in other jobs you think you could be a great fit for. You'll only be charged if the customer decides to get in touch with you.

Question: What is “Promote” and how can it help me?

Answer: Promoting your service is a way to get more leads -- if you tell us what leads you’ll always want, you’ll get 20% off those leads and a rank boost in search results. I know we’ve made a lot of changes lately, so I want to do a thorough job of explaining this:

We know promoting your service looks a lot like Instant Match, but for customers who are now seeing you in search results, it works really differently.

Now any pro can show up in a customer’s search results. Generally, you’ll rank higher if you provide a better customer experience (i.e., you have a great profile, plenty of great reviews, and you respond quickly). Promoting your service is the best way for you to show up as high as possible in the list, for the customers you’re most interested in. When you promote your service, you set your preferences to tell us exactly what customers you want. You’ll get a rank boost in search results, you’ll pay automatically for leads that match your preferences, and you’ll get 20% off those leads.

Sometimes a customer might reach out about a job that doesn’t perfectly match your preferences. When that happens, you won’t be charged automatically and can decide to pay to respond to the customer if it’s a job you want.

Chris summary post image.png

We’re going to host another Q&A in the community to answer your questions about how ranking and Promote work, so stay tuned!

I know that was a lot of information, but thanks for sticking with me and I hope it helped to clear some things up. Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback and keep the conversation going!

94 responses
Kmossphoto
Level 4

Solved! Jump to solution
Omg thank you!! Made my day 😍💜
Thumbtack Employee cjk
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks so much to all of you who sent in questions and suggestions on how you’re appearing in search results! We got over 600 responses, and so appreciate all of your interest and passion.

Our team is working through your feedback to make sure the new system is working for you. There are a few aspects of this change that have caused some confusion and concern, and I want to address those carefully here for all of you:

Question: Why did we make this change when many pros are voicing that they preferred quoting for jobs?

Answer: When we let customers search for and evaluate pros right away, customers are more likely to find the right pros and ultimately hire those pros.  

• In the old Thumbtack, every customer had to fill out a long form and then wait -- often hours or even days -- before seeing a single pro.  Think about how you shop for anything -- you would be far less likely to try to use Amazon or drive to a store if they made you fill out your detailed shopping list at the door and you weren't even sure if they had what you needed.
  • Browsing pros in search results gives customers the ability to understand the types of pros in their market and choose who they are most excited to work with. That means when a customer reaches out, they are informed and more serious about working with you.
  • By showing more pros in search results, we’re connecting you with more customers. And you’re only paying for leads-- customers who’ve seen what you offer and have decided to reach out to you.

Question: Can I control which leads I pay for and when?

Answer: Absolutely! We only want you to pay for the leads you want. So we’re giving you new controls to do just that.

• On Thumbtack, you pay for the leads you want. When we send you new leads, you can see the customer’s project details. You can decline the job if it’s not a good fit (and you won’t pay a cent!) or you can pay to respond to the customer if it’s a job you want to pursue.
  • The best way to get more of the leads you want is to promote your business for the jobs you're most excited about. You set your preferences so we know what jobs you want. When you get a new lead that matches these preferences, you’ll pay automatically and get 20% off. You’ll also get a rank boost in search results!
  • After you've promoted your service, check out the Jobs tab and express your interest in other jobs you think you could be a great fit for. You'll only be charged if the customer decides to get in touch with you.

Question: What is “Promote” and how can it help me?

Answer: Promoting your service is a way to get more leads -- if you tell us what leads you’ll always want, you’ll get 20% off those leads and a rank boost in search results. I know we’ve made a lot of changes lately, so I want to do a thorough job of explaining this:

We know promoting your service looks a lot like Instant Match, but for customers who are now seeing you in search results, it works really differently.

Now any pro can show up in a customer’s search results. Generally, you’ll rank higher if you provide a better customer experience (i.e., you have a great profile, plenty of great reviews, and you respond quickly). Promoting your service is the best way for you to show up as high as possible in the list, for the customers you’re most interested in. When you promote your service, you set your preferences to tell us exactly what customers you want. You’ll get a rank boost in search results, you’ll pay automatically for leads that match your preferences, and you’ll get 20% off those leads.

Sometimes a customer might reach out about a job that doesn’t perfectly match your preferences. When that happens, you won’t be charged automatically and can decide to pay to respond to the customer if it’s a job you want.

Chris summary post image.png

We’re going to host another Q&A in the community to answer your questions about how ranking and Promote work, so stay tuned!

I know that was a lot of information, but thanks for sticking with me and I hope it helped to clear some things up. Thanks so much for your thoughtful feedback and keep the conversation going!

Thumbtack Employee cjk
Thumbtack Employee

Solved! Jump to solution

In case it’s helpful, here’s an example of how Promote helps customers connect with the right pro for their job, and how it can help pros succeed!

Imagine you’re a customer: let's say you're looking for someone to clean your windows next weekend. You see a few great pros in the list, so you reach out to two of them. But later, you get a message that they’ve both declined. You're back to square one and Thumbtack hasn't worked well for you. At this point, you'd probably give up and deal with dirty windows.

But let's say you searched in the new system. This time, you’d see another pro at the top of the list - good reviews, decent price. That pro set up Promote, just for larger window cleaning jobs in your neighborhood - a perfect fit for you! The pro knows they'll be charged automatically for each new lead that matches these preferences, but they think it's worth it because they'll be shown much higher on the list for those jobs AND get a 20% discount on each lead.

You reach out, the pro sees the lead, knows they've paid, and immediately responds with a super helpful message about what's next and you go ahead and book. Boom!

To recap, Promote is a way to tell Thumbtack exactly what you’re looking for so we can get your business in front of as many of those customers as possible. To do that, you set preferences to tell us what jobs you want and commit to paying for every lead that matches those preferences. (BUT - if the lead is not a match, you don't get charged automatically. We'll send you the lead and you only pay if you reply).

Hope that was helpful!

0 Kudos

Solved! Jump to solution

@cjk

you're citing a SPECIFIC example, with a Pro who has a specific service.  That's like a mechanic listing "Front brake jobs only", which he would never do. As an electrician, the TT categories are so vague that they encompass a multitude of options for the customer. "Switch & outlet installation or Switch and outlet repair", doesn't include "a tree just took down the service conductors going to my house". Where the electrician would need a bucket truck to facilitate the repair; or "I'm installing an electric range, I need the outlet changed from 120 to 240v".   Electrical work required a vast variety of interaction with the client, in order to come to a point where a responsible quote can be given.  The choices given to the customer, in most cases, aren't even close to the actual scope of work. This is the fault of TT, as they absolutely cannot narrow down every finite description of work for a Pro; so how can TT possibly ask us to Promote and get monetarily charged for something, that in most cases, the client cannot even explain to the Pro!!???

DJStevie
Level 11

Solved! Jump to solution

@cjk

Really? We only get charged for a match, but what constitutes a match in Thumbtack's eyes? A generic reply? That's absurd! We as pros should only get charged after we reply to even a generic reply!!! I turned off Promote/Match because I want to control my budget and view the customers that I feel are a fit for me, not Thumbtack deciding that. We don't know what the cost per lead is until after we get a generic reply, true? What good is that? We need to control how we spend our budget.

As for me being a DJ for 29 years, I want to be personable, it's how I have been successful,  and was told by various reps I can be personable in my profile. How personable can I be for each event that I service???? Every customer has different needs, issues, etc. I've expressed this most recently to @Meckell via phone, and she said she understood my concern. My question @cjk, So how can I be personable and work with every customer and their concerns in my profile instead of sending a personable message with my quote? Am I going to get a concrete answer to this question, or are you going to avoid that question as many reps have? Please do not belittle me by avoiding it.

I'm extending an invitation to have you call me so we can discuss in detail. Any day/time is good. This way I can explain to you everything that I told @Meckell via phone. Because if I do things your way, my profile will be very lengthy and customers will bypass it, I know from experience.

DJStevie
Level 11

Solved! Jump to solution

@cjk

So, I'm being punished because I want to be personable in my initial message and quote like I used to,  instead of using Promote/Match? Being told by reps to try to be personable in my profile, isn't going to work, not for me. I've tried Promote and it didn't work for me, as I told @Meckell my concerns, and explained them all. @cjk, If you feel that you can be personable for every situation in a profile, please provide me a 2-3 sentence paragraph to see. But you don't know my business and how I operate it. I'm tired of hearing how Thumbtack thinks they know my business. Just help the majority of the pros and go back to the old system. please! 

K-9
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Amen Brother ! Once again, you're Right on the Money Steve. "They" are driving this place right off a Cliff and it's a  **bleep** shame! It used to work Flawlessly. And Yeah, I do understand how Thumbtack's Revenue has changed in the last little while. So does my Accountant. (LoL) He's screaming for me to get out of here.

We have an Old Saying around here : "Some for the Bulls - Some for the Bears - NONE for the Pigs"  Thumbtack Please take notice. When you see somebody about to jump off a Bridge you're "supposed"to try and help them right? 

I sent a woman a Quote for a 2 week Board & Train for her dog (because that's what she asked for) with a price of $2850. A few days go by and I hear absolutely nothing. Then finally a response. She asks (now sit down for this) "How much for a one week ??? I should have just bought her a Calculator.  Heck for what Thumbtack charged me for this mathematically challenged woman.......(without my even sending a response - didn't want to dignify the question with an answer) But I COULD have bought her 4 Calculators and Still come out ahead from the rock and a hard place that "They" put me in ! And Now...... I'm told "They" want to monitor my Text Messages and Phone Calls, in addition to my emails, to charge me again for something they have already charged my for. Out of Line and Absurd _ Get a Grip Thumbtack !

Let me know Your Thoughts ? But THIS Ain'tWorkin' Anymore........and it's a **bleep** Shame.....because at one time it "truly" did. AND worked Well At That !  What Are They Thinking ??? Sure Beats Me....I wonder how they would treat me IF I wasn't a long time Top Pro (haha) It's absurd. Your Thoughts?

GT456
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

I asked TT a question on Friday, and it hasn't been answered yet.  How do we know how much it costs to reply to a customer who found us using the search results?  Thumbtack wants us to reply immediately to a customer, yet you won't answer a simple question for me.  And there is no way I'm replying to a customer when I have no idea how much you'll charge me for it.  The charge could be $50 for all I know!

reidercody
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Correct. Don't do it! 

0 Kudos