Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Highlighted
SillyCar
Level 6

Re: Thanks for participating in the Search Results Q&A!

Solved! Jump to solution

@cjk, In your "Imagine you're a customer" scenario, which system is that customer using? Where did the list of a few great pros come from? Did they as the customer just get presented a list without searching? In the old system, they couldn't see the pros in a list.... And where did the message that the pros declined come from?

Most pros (using the old thumbtack system (choose if you want to pay to quote), which I would assume would be a good system to compare the new system with - oh, I just realized maybe you're comparing with the super flawed system you just replaced with promote - i forget what you called it - instant match?).... anyway, most pros would contact the client with a personalized message (VERY quickly when they could tell the customer was serious) letting them know what they thought about the project and how they might be able to help. If that client was serious (assuming the request was made by a real person who was serious about hiring someone), they would respond and continue the dialog with the pro. If by some chance they could not get connected with a real pro (unlikely in my opinion), they would definitely NOT just deal with dirty windows, they would go to a different service that works better. ALL of them would do this (real people that are serious about hiring someone). Pros will do the same (find a service that works better). Do you see where I'm going with this?

Last question: How much is 20% off of a boatload more than you used to charge a pro to contact a client? That sounds like a great deal for thumbtack. Not for the pros.

"In case it's helpful" Smiley Wink  Imagine you are a pro using your service: Let's say you used to get charged about $3 to $10 to contact a client and you had the choice to look at the request and decide if the client was serious ahead of time BEFORE you got charged. You were able to see the project details and YOU were able to decide if it would be a good project for you to bid on... BEFORE YOU WERE CHARGED A NICKEL. And it was easy to tell if a request looked bogus because the client would give some real details if they were serious.... If the client made a vaque request and got no responses, they probably weren't serious and if they decided to not use thumbtack (or just deal with their dirty windows, ha!), who cares? 

But now, let's say that thumbtack decided to change their system out of the blue multiple times, and each time YOU got charged more and more and thumbtack stopped telling you how much they would charge ahead of time and you started getting charged for every generic contact that came through their clearly flawed system (like where I just did a search for cabinet refinishing and had a lawn care pro show up on the first page mixed in with the other contractors). And you could call and request a refund for certain things, but it would be a crap shoot if they decided to refund because they were in control and they already had your money, so now you've had to waste time even if you did get your money back.

Go back to letting the pros tell the clients (directly) what they can do for them at a fair price and when the pro decides to pay for it and knows what they're paying for up front, and everyone will be happy - @MarcoZ

DJStevie
Level 12

Solved! Jump to solution

@cjk

So, we are getting more leads before quotes are sent out? MMMM. not my understanding with Promote. The quotes are sent, we don't even get to say yes or no before they are sent, true? But we get charged when we get a generic reply, true? So how is that benefitting us as pros?

Your words in the post On Thumbtack, you pay for the leads you want. Really? we pay for only the leads we want? How if Promote is on? Thumbtack is charging us before we say yes or no, and refuses to refund us for the ones we don't want. Why is that?

Then you contradict yourself, by saying When you get a new lead that matches these preferences, you’ll pay automatically and get 20% off. You’ll also get a rank boost in search results!

So which is it? We pay for leads that we want, or we'll pay automatically and get 20% off? But we don't see the lead until after Thumbtack sends a quote on our behalf, true?

If you want us to use Promote, then we shouldn't get charged until AFTER we reply to a customer, whether generic replay or message. But Thumbtack will not do that because they want every pro to get charged for using Promote. I'm trying to understand the fairness here, not try to abuse the posting policy.

Hankster
Level 10

Solved! Jump to solution

@DJStevieThat's why they marked this post as solved. So they can close it out, pretend like the issue got solved & not have to listen to us anymore. I had a feeling that was going to happen when I saw all of those solved posts/e-mail coming out yesterday.

Community Manager JasonB
Community Manager

Solved! Jump to solution

Hey @Hankster + @DJStevie 

I just wanted to weigh in quickly to clarify one thing:

When we mark a post as "Solved," we don't mean to imply that your question has been wholly addressed, that there aren't outstanding issues, or that we don't want additional feedback.  It's not meant to be the end of the conversation!  By marking a post as "Solved" we're simply noting that we've answered it to the best of our ability at this particular moment.  It's also our way of making the post more visible, so that other pros can see it.  

I recognize that you may not have found some of the responses here to be satisfactory, and I'm sorry you feel that.  But again, this is not the end of the conversation, by any means.  We're working hard to make Thumbtack work for as many pros as possible, and that won't change any time soon!

Thanks again for your feedback, 

Jason

0 Kudos
GT456
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution
Quote:"We're working hard to make Thumbtack work for as many Pros as possible..."

I actually don't believe that. You're working hard to make as much money FOR THUMBTACK as possible. If you cared about the Pros as much as your own bottom line, you would have scrapped this new plan a long time ago.

How many Pros have to tell you "Promote won't work for me", before you acknowledge that it was a bad idea from the start??

Case in point: I'm a travel agent. I just looked at a lead that, if I had Promote on, would have matched me. However, all the client wants is a plane ticket. I make NOTHING on plane tickets unless I charge a fee, which is usually only $25. Yet Thumbtack wants to charge me $21 for this lead, so in theory, I would have only made $4. That's absurd!! Jason, would YOU do 1 to 2 hours of work for $4? I doubt it. And this scenario plays out in many variations - the client who only wants an interior cabin on a 3 day Carnival cruise; the client who just wants me to book a hotel for two nights in a suburb of Dallas, or the client who just wants to "visit family" in Bogota. None of these scenarios are profitable, yet if I used Promote, I'd get charged for all of them.

Thumbtack, we're all small business owners here, which means we're smart, hard-working, and driven to succeed. We also don't get a salary like you TT employees who are responding to these threads do. We rely on our clients to make any money, so stop acting like you know how to run our businesses better than we do. Trust us, you don't.

Consider listening to YOUR customers (that's us, the Pros) and change the path you're on. From what I've read, over 90% of the Pros are unhappy with the entire new system, since at least Instant Match. That's not good, and it isn't sustainable long term. When running a business, sometimes new ideas don't work out. The key is to acknowledge that, and be willing to change course. It's Thumbtack's choice whether they do that or not. The question is, how many Pros will you lose in the meantime?
Hankster
Level 10

Solved! Jump to solution

Well said @GT456! Well said! We know our lines of business better than anyone! I have the same heartburn with how things are run at TT & have expressed it very strongly at times! Of course some of those strong opinion posts have been edited because I've violated the Community Standards. 

GT456
Level 6

Solved! Jump to solution

Thanks, Hankster!  I'm still hoping they'll listen to us eventually, which is the only reason I keep responding to these threads.

Anyway, have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

DJStevie
Level 12

Solved! Jump to solution

@GT456

I totally agree with you! Just like @Hankster, I also strongly commented and gave my opinions along with some solutions, and a few of my posts have either been deleted or edited because as I was told "violated their policy". If the forum is for pros to interact, vent and try to help each other, as well as giving our thoughts and legit solutions to the reps, especially to see, then why aren't they listening to us?

Promote isn't going to work for me. I tried it against my better judgement with a phone rep a few weeks ago. It worked in TT eyes, as I got charged for generic replies, leads that I wouldn't have bid on because customer wasn't a good fit for me. Sure, many criteria matched, but that doesn't mean customer is a good fit. Would I travel to DJ a 2 hour event 30 miles away, or travel same distance to DJ a event for 4-5 hours? But because the criteria is filled out, they feel that a 2 hour party that I DJ is the same fee that I would charge for 4 hour event. I've tried numerous times explaining that to many reps on the forum, private message, email and by phone, but all they tell me "your feedback is important and we just forwarded it on. Where is that proof?

Also, I'm sure that @Hankster will agree, being DJ pros, each customer and event is different, customers have family issues, very tight budgets, other circumstances, and we need to be personable when sending out initial quotes/messages. We also can't put all that in our profile as the reps told me that I should, with prices. If I do that, my profile will be very lengthy and customers will bypass me. With this change, we can't do that, unless we turn off Promote, and when we do, we're on the bottom of the searches.

We aren't their customers, even though we are paying customers. I've been told that the change happened to help the customers, they even gave a percentage of customers who wanted a change, but can't provide that proof to us, better yet, refuse to provide that proof.

I just hope that they do listen to us pros, their REAL customers, and listen to us before many more leave.

DJStevie
Level 12

Solved! Jump to solution

@JasonB@Hankster@cjk@Kameron

Really Jason? Your comment "I recognize that you may not have found some of the responses here to be satisfactory, and I'm sorry you feel that." Do you really feel sorry for the way that we feel? Why can't you and other reps at Thumbtack see that majority of the Pros are very angered by this change and refuse to see our side of things? We are told to use Promote so we can be high on search list, @cjk said earlier "you pay for the leads you want." "When you get a new lead that matches these preferences, you’ll pay automatically and get 20% off. You’ll also get a rank boost in search results!" So which is it, we pay for leads that we want or we pay automatically? Chris' words not mine!!! Contradicting himself. Please do NOT insult Pros, especially those in their business over 25 years!!!! We worked very hard to succeed and get where we are.

How many times do I need to say that I need to see a customer profile and cost of lead before I sent quote out? I want to manage my own budget, not let Thumbtack handle it for me. I know my business better than any rep here on Thumbtack! I've talked recently to @Meckell about my concerns about it. From what I've read on Thumbtack the past couple of days is that if Pros do not use Promote, we will be very low on the customer search list. So that's punishing us for not using Promote, true? I guess Thumbtack wants pros to get charged for generic replies, regardless. Those customer are not interested in pros as they are only "surfing" the site. If they are interested, then they will reach out with a written message. Pros should not be charged until after we reply to a customer, generic lead or not. Is that difficult to understand and change format to?

Hankster
Level 10

Solved! Jump to solution

Knock it off @JasonB This issue will no longer be addressed. Who are you kidding! The post is closed. You folks at TT don't listen to your service pros concerns anyway.