results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
Mahajan
Level 5

When Thumbtack says someone wants to hire you?

What does this mean?. I receive this message and accept the lead and then get ghosted by the customer?

Is it just a message they send to get us to accept leads?

Occupations (1)
States
11 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: When Thumbtack says someone wants to hire you?

@Mahajan I'm happy to give you more clarification, however, I need a little more info. Can you send me a private message with a screenshot of the message you received? 

0 Kudos
Mahajan
Level 5

I do not know how to send a private message. Why do you need a screenshot. Isnt this a standard message you send pros?

What I need to know is how do you know they want to hire a pro. Do you ask them specifically?  I receive these messages when they have not got much details of cost beyond my starting price or any other details beyond seeing my profile

very rarely do the clients respond even to a preliminary message from me

Moderator Meckell

@Mahajan the screenshot helps us see exactly what notification message you're referring to. It includes the customers name and that helps us get you more clarification, as well as offer you tips on how to deal with customers ghosting you. 
Customers come to Thumbtack to hire a pro. So, if they decide to reach out to you directly, we know that they're ready to take the next steps toward that hire. 

0 Kudos
Mahajan
Level 5

What does reach out directly mean? I am just picked in a line up. It doesnt mean they want to hire me vs another pro. Earlier A client had to actually click hire for me to get this messgae from Thumbtack. If they have not made any indication that they prefer me over another chosen pro then i believe this is misleading practice on the part of thumbtack

IMG_1522.PNGSaturday, 9/7/19IMG_1523.PNGSaturday, 9/7/19 @Meckell These messages arrived in my email today. Why did the second message claim that Eileen wanted to hire me? I had not contacted her. Did she tell someone at Thumbtack and not me? It appears obvious that when the first alert is unanswered after three hours, Thumbtack construes this as a desire to hire. This is very strange. I appreciate enthusiasm, but we had not interacted in any way.

Apoole1114
Level 4

I am facing the same issue (among MANY others) with them on a "phone call" lead. I am being charged $32.63 for a phone call I NEVER RECIEVED NOR A VOICEMAIL. I have disputed it & it was refused because said customer reached a voicemail... Umm, no they did not. My phone did not ring, I have no VM from said customer. There is no record of any of this on my phone yet Thumbtack has info...??? & the phone number was suspicious as well... & why in the world would they charge ($32.63)such a large fee, for 1 job that I'm not garunteed to get??? I have gone thru dispute, text chat, & 2 emails to help/support & am still getting emails that this payment is due & my profile will not become active until pd. But to top it all off my calendar was blocked & I marked myself as invisible before said phone call!!! 2 DEFINITE THUMBTACK MISTAKES!!! This new "lead" system has many faults & is not working for me. I cannot afford to pay $32 for a "lead" on a "potential" customer. The quoting system DID WORK FOR ME. I was hired way over 20x, have 20+ raving reviews, I pd the fees for the quotes that I CHOSE, not an automated system, & I DID NOT RECEIVE jobs needed to be done OUTSIDE of the parameters that I had set up. All of which are faulty on ThumbtackPro. So, obviously I'm not paying for something that I did not receive or even get a message abt to respond to "said" customer. I'm just so disappointed... A+ Cleaning...
Amy Poole

When a customer wants to hire a Pro...

After receiving notification of a lead (partial match) a subsequent notification arrives approximately 2-3 hours after the first one; if I had not responded yet. This second notification is a helpful reminder that the first notification arrived earlier. Shortly after that a third notification is sent that the customer "wants to hire me." This notification is sent before I have accepted or declined the lead.

My first question is: What constitutes a hire when using Thumbtack? Webster's defines the verb hire as:

hire verb
hired; hiring
Definition of hire (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb

1a: to engage the personal services of for a set sum
hire a crew
b: to engage the temporary use of for a fixed sum
hire a hall
2: to grant the personal services of or temporary use of for a fixed sum
hire themselves out
3: to get done for pay
hire the mowing done

The notification says the customer wants to hire me, but no message from the customer has been sent to me that indicates such. Even if the customer engages the one click options, they are still only inquiries as to availability, pricing, etc. and by no means an offer or remotely stated desire to hire. In fact, there is not an indication the customer is thinking about hiring anyone.

My second question is:
Has the customer contacted Thumbtack directly and said that he/she wishes to hire me? 
My third question is:
If the customer has not contacted Thumbtack directly and said he/she wishes to hire me (as indicated in my second question above), why then, is a notice of intent to hire sent to me?
I am confident Thumbtack has very good clarification on this matter and will undoubtedly share its insights.
Thank you
Moderator Meckell

Re: When a customer wants to hire a Pro...

@ChefOfAllSeason Customers are ultimately coming to Thumbtack to hire a professional to get their job done. If they reach out to a pro directly, we know that they're ready to take the next steps toward that hire and that's why you'll see that notification. I get where some of the confusion can come from and I'm more than happy to pass on this feedback. 

0 Kudos

Re: When a customer wants to hire a Pro...

@MeckellThumbtack's position is  "If they reach out to a pro directly, we know that they're ready to take the next steps toward that hire and that's why you'll see that notification."

My questions are:

1) When they reach out to us directly using the auto click options such as : "what's your availabilty?", etc. Thumbtack knows that the customer will not ghost us when we respond. Are you sure Thumbtack knows they are ready to take the next steps toward hiring, or is Thumbtack assuming they are ready to take the next steps towards hiring? The two are not the same.

2) When we respond to your notification that so and so "wants to hire you" is that a guarantee on Thumbtack's part of a hire? You are making a clear and indisputable claim of knowing what the customer wants to do. If the notification is not a guarantee of hire nor based on solid evidence that the customer has plainly stated they "want to hire", then is not the notification false?

The support team does not know the answers to these questions. Your help will be immensly appreciated. Thanks.