Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 33199: IDEA- Integrity & Balance by Customers & Pros
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
BPmusic
Level 5

"A Few Things To Get Off My Chest" Just Sayin....

Before I begin, I want to say that I love Thumbtack! Over the years I have had what I considered to be some great ideas and have tried diligently to share them with any decision-maker within the company. It has always been my desire to be part of the solution rather than just sitting around whining and complaining about what doesn't work. Maybe I'm feeling like I have beat my head against the wall long enough. For despite my efforts and desire to be a difference maker for good with Thumbtack, I have never gotten a single ounce of feedback on anything I've ever shared from management. I'm told that they water ideas and that they listen, but I have never personally seen any evidence of that and I so much would like to.  Just sayin.....

While thankfully, I was not cheated out of my Status, I could see this one coming from a mile away and have spoken repeatedly to thumbtack about it. One thing I have found interesting is that while thumbtack requires us to respond immediately to inquiries, they NEVER respond to us immediately or otherwise. Yes it's true that we can call customer service and generally they are very nice, listen politely, apologize for our frustration and promise to pass our issues and concerns along to management. And what do we ultimately hear from management? In my experience, absolutely nothing! EVER!!! The reason as always the same. There just have too many inquiries and questions from pros to be able to respond to them. While it is true they can't be expected to respond to all the questions from their pros, but does this mean they can NEVER respond to ANY of them? Apparently so! Yet, we are never allowed to be too busy to respond to any of our inquiries whether they be urgent or irrelevant.Just sayin....

I have had several occasions where I have received instant matches for dates I already had marked off on the calendar. At this point, it seems they are having me pay for them anyway as I have been unable to obtain even an occasional refund. I don't mind paying money for jobs I don't get, or at least I don't mind as much. But when I have to pay for jobs for dates I arty have booked, I find that both infuriating and unfair. Just Sauin...

If you are successful on thumbtack, you spend plenty of money. If you are a Top Pro, one of the benefits should be that you deserve the benefit of the doubt. You've earned it! Yet, my experience has been the opposite. It seems the more success I have on Thumbtack the harder they try to make it. At this point, they are virtually requiring that I work seven days a week. When I ask if they are required to do the same, I always get the same answer… Of course not! So I ask once again, why do they require their pros to work seven days a week when they do not require the same of themselves. Shouldn't we be allowed an occasional day or two not to have to look at our phone or computer? Apparently not! For all of the weaknesses of instant match, the one thing I appreciated about it was that it freed me up from having to feel tied to my phone or computer. With this new requirement, they have managed once again to make me feel like a prisoner. Just Sayin...

I totally understand the need to get back to our clients. It goes without saying that if you don't you won't be successful. But not all inquiries are equal and since they receive multiple quotes, it is not critical that every Pro get back to them within minutes. As long as they have some quotes to look at, shouldn't it be okay that some others filter in later? Secondly, since we are using instant match, don't they have a quote and feedback from us already? I find the most common question I receive is "Are You Available on My Date" since they have received a quote from us, can't they be told to assume we are available? Having said all of this, in the vast majority of cases we are going to get back to the clients within 24 hours anyway. If we don't, it is our loss and we won't be successful. But unless we are required to work seven days a week shouldn't that be our choice? And if we are expected to work seven days a week, I will if management will!   Just sayin...

3 responses

Re: "A Few Things To Get Off My Chest" Just Sayin....

I think it's fantastic that you're wanting to be an active participant in change and can understand it can be frustrating to not hear back. We work hard to review all our user’s feedback. It just takes time. The Product Team wants to make sure what they choose to update is carefully assessed and benefits both professionals and customers.

As for receiving job requests for times you already have marked off on your calendar, I figured out what was going on. In your Business Hours section there's an option for "My availability is flexible. Match me with as many jobs as possible." This was turned on, meaning we were matching you with all times regardless if they were marked off on your calendar. I turned that off. You might see a couple come through within the next day but after that you're in the clear.

A big part of Instant Match is to free up pro's time, but we still want you to be quick with speaking to new customers as we know this helps increase your chances of getting hired. We only measure the response time in connection with a new customer contact. The time it takes to respond to any messages that follow don't count. On top of that, if you don't like or want a particular job, you can simply pass on the job - that counts as a response.

Hope this helps clear up some of your concern. Let me know if you have any more questions we can help clarify!

0 Kudos
BPmusic
Level 5

Hey Jordan,

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me. I really do appreciate it. I'm glad you found the issue with getting quotes for dates that were already marked off on my calendar. Hopefully that will solve the problem. I knew something had to be wrong and I've called on multiple occasions to customer service. My only other question would be this. I don't ask for many refunds, and I only do it when I feel it's truly justified. I have at least two quotes that were sent to me on dates that I already had marked off on my calendar. I would like refunds for those dates and quite frankly it shouldn't even be a question. At first when this happened a time or two, customer service was very glad to issue a refund. In the last month or so however, they have said that it was impossible for this to be happening so I must not have marked it off. They essentially called me a liar. I wasn't lying then or now. I spend plenty of money with Thumbtack without complaint. I would like refunds for these last couple remaining quotes… Can you help me?

Everything else you shared with me in your response I was completely aware of. As I said in my original comments, I totally understand the need to get back to customers as soon as possible. I get it! My record of excellence should tell you that I get it. However, the one thing you did not do was address my concerns in this area. I suspect that Thumbtack allows you to take time off work. When you do, I also suspect they don't require that you check your email and your phone and your computer to see if there's anything they want you to do. My point is this, the minute I pick up my phone to check Thumbtack leads on a day off, it is no longer a day off. And if there is a Thumbtack Lead, I am required to respond to it or made to feel like a failure. Does that make sense? And of course, once I have picked up my phone and responded to the Thumbtack lead, I am immediately in work mode. So now I am checking emails, thinking about all the things I should be doing instead of taking a day off and it's game over. If you think about this, you have to know I'm right. And I would bet that if you are in my situation you would respond exactly the same way. There has to be a balance. I don't know how else to say it. The reality is that all of the freedom that instant match gave your pros has been taken away by this 24 hour requirement. Perhaps you could let your customers know that they will always receive a reply within 48 hours. Clearly, if the job being requested is urgent or time sensitive, any decent pro will get back to them immediately anyway. Okay, I guess I've ranted enough. I'm hoping for some help with a refund or two and appreciate you taking the time to respond.

0 Kudos

Definitely can help. Will you send me a private message with the names?

As for life / work balance I completely agree. There should be balance. I didn't directly answer this the first time because I don't have an immediate fix. What I can do is forward your thoughts to our Product Team, so they can reevaluate. It takes time to implement updates, but it will be heard and I'm sure you're not the only professional who feels this way.

0 Kudos