Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
browneydgal8
Level 1

Weekly Budget

Hey all!! Im excited to get started through Tumbtack, but Im a little confused in regards to the weekly budget?  I sent 3 quotes yesterday and each time it asked me to set a weekly budget, but each time it was different prices and variations? Can someone explain how this process works? When does it pull money from my Account and how much will it pull and how often? 

States
14 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: Weekly Budget

Hi @browneydgal8, welcome aboard! You'll be sending quotes for free and are charged once a customer responds. As far as how much it costs, you will see it fluctuate. It's determined by the value of the job, the demand in your area, how many pros offer that service in your area, and how the customer contacts you. Since you aren't charged until the customer contacts you, we want you to be in control of your spending. That's why we have the budget. The budget is there for you to set an amount that you're willing to spend that week. We'll never go above your budget and if you don't hit it, no worries, you're only charged for the customers that respond to you. There are a few videos I want you to watch to get a better explanation on how it works. Paying for Contacts goes more into depth to how payment works and Set my budget talks about your budget and how to set it up. Give both of those a look and let me know if you have any other questions. 

StevenCee
Level 6

Why is it a "weekly budget", and not more general, like it used to be when we purchased credits? We know how much to keep on hand, depending on how many quotes we send, and how much they'll cost if responded to. Maybe a weekly budget makes sense for those who are constantly recieving bid &/or customer responses, but in my line of work (music), we don't get a million leads a week that apply to what we do. I'm not sure why placing a limit is needed, since we only respond to leads that we would do if our quote is accepted, so why there'd be a limit escapes me. I won't be responding to a lead if your fee to be charged me isn't in line with what the job would pay, so again, why a "budget", and not just money/credit card on account, to be used for when a customer responds?

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@StevenCee a budget is there so pros can be in control of their spending. Funds aren't actually taken from the card on file until the customer has made the contact, and if you don't meet your budget for the week, it just starts over the next week. Thanks for your feedback on this! 

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Level 6

I dont meet my budget for the week it starts over again? What starts over again?  And I keep reading that we're charged when they respond to us, and/or when we respond to them, and this is what is confusing. Some points of confusion:

1. What do you mean by saying "you don't pay a commission"? That's a lie, what else do you call a graduated payment depending on each individual job's "importance"?

2. What's "promoting your business"? And what kind of discount is 20% off, when we don't know what 100% of the cost is? Especially since that's set so arbitrarily...

3. It's still not clear if we're charged the moment a customer messages, calls, or books us, or only if we reply, since you mention both! Plus, if someone calls us, how do we not reply? We don't answer the phone? This makes no sense.

4.On leads we choose to respond to, that are listed, not sent to us specifically, why can't we just pay for those as we go, instead of setting up a "weekly budget"?

5. Amazing that your algorithms can figure how much a job is worth, when we, decades-long in this business can't, before we know all the details?

Moderator Kameron

@StevenCee all great questions. When we say that pros don’t pay a commission, what we mean is that Thumbtack does not require a payment from pros that are hired and paid for their work. All that we charge for is the connection of the pro and customer and how that connection is made will be one of a few ways now that Search Results and Promote have started.

At anytime while a pro has Promote on if a customer decides to message, call, or book them they’re charged right away and they’ll be in a conversation. If the pro has Promote off the customer can only request a quote from the pro, and pros can turn down any contact. If the customer is told that the pro is unavailable the customer will be directed to other pros that match. In a case where the pro accepts the contact they’ll be charged and then the customer will have the option to continue messaging, call, or book.

To see the differences of when you’ll pay and be charged I’d recommend visiting this page HERE for more information and if you have additional questions we’d be happy to answer them.

The weekly budget is a maximum spending limit that restarts every Monday, and pros set a separate budget for each service. We’re still trying to figure out the right way to charge pros for leads they receive from customers. Right now you’ll be charged for each individual contact one-by-one, and once you establish a certain purchasing history on Thumbtack, you may start paying for several contacts at once. You can learn more about the budget HERE.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Level 6

Why can't we just pay as we go for leads we respond to, that aren't customers reaching out to us? I wrote out a quote to one of those, but it won't let me respond without setting a weekly budget, which I don't want to do. So the lead dies, since there's no option to pay as we go.

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@StevenCee you'll still be paying as you go in a sense per lead, or per week depending. The weekly budget will be there to make sure that you're not contacted or spend more than you'd like to per week.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Level 6

@Kameron wrote:

@StevenCeeyou'll still be paying as you go in a sense per lead, or per week depending. The weekly budget will be there to make sure that you're not contacted or spend more than you'd like to per week.

I would have no problem paying more than I'd like, if it meant I'm paying for actual gigs booked! That's what's so ridiculous about this process, you're selling leads, not work! Other services charge a quarterly or yearly fee, & then maybe a small percentage on leads booked, so we know what we're paying for, how much, and not paying for every lead or contact, since many are people just reaching out, and ultimately not be a good match, so simply answering or having a couple questions answered, to qualify them costs us nothing. Here we must risk a hefty fee, simply to find out we're not a good fit, or they don't have the budget, to book us.

How can you determine if a job is "big" or "important" without knowing what we would charge, or how much our profit would be, as it varies greatly on how many musicians are on any particular gig? We don't even know that, until we find out more details than are usually found in your leads. If your focus was on getting better, more specific leads, maybe they would be worth the fees you think they're worth, but for now, it makes Thumbtack THE most expensive listing service I've encountered! "Listing is free", yeah, but since any contact whatsoever is not, you are far more costly than services that charge to be listed, and booking agencies who take a fair commission, for actually providing bookings. Once you realize this, you might yet again, alter your system. Being the most expensive listing service is not a great selling point...

Highlighted
toddbeltz
Level 2

@StevenCee you hit the nail on the head with this one. Exactly what I have been struggling with in the short time that I have been a member of Thumbtack. Never before in my 10 years of professional photography experience have I had to pay for a lead. Like yourself, I don't have any issues with paying a fee to Thumbtack if I have actually won the job. But paying out money every week each time a "potential" client contacts me, is just throwing money away. So many variables to consider here. Client can contact us, we pay fee to Thumbtack for the privilege of getting a lead, we provide our rates to the client and then for whatever reason they turn us down. Not having a guarantee that the job is actually ours has kinda turned me off from using this service. Unless Thumbtack changes the business model, I'm not sure I want to use this.