results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
Highlighted
Community Manager DustiO
Community Manager

What makes a good profile?

I will admit that when I first stumbled across Thumbtack 4+ years ago - I had no clue what it was. My husband, who was unemployed at the time, was trying to help me ramp up my business and had signed me up without even telling me. Suddenly I started getting requests in my email and I thought for sure this was just some stranger in a basement sending out requests so I could pay to answer them! I passed over the first several. Then, one day, I decided to give it a try. Landed my first job, and never looked back.

I knew that I needed to take it a little more seriously, in order for it to keep working for me. After all, my husband had filled out my profile. And let’s be honest, he knows nothing about my work (I make cakes, he makes spreadsheets)! So, I set aside some time and I went through and made a beautiful profile. From that point on, I never used another source for leads, and the jobs just kept coming in. I know I would never have been as successful, if I didn’t have a good profile.

My three biggest tips for a great profile:

1. Get as many reviews as possible
  2. Thoughtfully fill out every question in your Intro and FAQ sections, and
  3. Display high quality photos of your work

When it comes to reviews - Grab all that you can. Before I started using Thumbtack full force, I made sure I had all 10 of the reviews that I was allowed to get from past clients. I posted my review link on my social media sites, and had all 10 of those reviews in less than a day. I always make sure to follow up with clients and ask for a review as well.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 1.06.11 PM.png 

When it comes to your Intro and FAQs - Be yourself. Answer questions thoughtfully and personally. This gives your potential clients a good idea of what it will be like to work with you. My answers don’t look like they were written by an English major - they contain smiley faces and sarcasm, and my personality. If you work in an industry with complicated pricing, or common pricing questions, answer these in here as well. The more you can answer for a potential client before they contact you, the more intentful they will be when they do reach out.

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 1.10.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 1.10.35 PM.png

When it comes to photos - Quality, quality, quality. Display quality photos (at least 5!) that really highlight your work. I can’t express enough what a difference it makes if people are able to see your work beforehand. Now, I am lucky that my husband knows his way around a camera, and we have a really nice one. But you can take really great photos even with your phone camera. Practice, play around with lighting, look up online tutorials - invest a little time in your photography skills. That investment will pay off big time.  

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 1.14.07 PM.png 

And don’t forget a good profile photo. It’s always helpful for customers to be able to put a face with a name.

One last tip - Check out the customer view of your profile. Look at what they are seeing. Click through it and see where you can improve.

I hope this helps!  Get some tips for your profile from other pros and Thumbtack team members, here.

Here’s to many more successes, together!

Dusti

1 responses
Moderator Meckell

Re: What makes a good profile?

So amazing @DustiO!

0 Kudos