Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 23817: Model of when you get charged
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 23308: Hefty charge for a dead-lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 17313: Thumbtack pricing for professionals
StoriesUpSTL
Level 7

Competition is healthy...Paranoia is not

I'd like to see the struggle for the Pros be more about beating their competition to win jobs and less about gambling on if the leads are legitimate.  The latter seems to be a common theme here in this community.

As the fight continues about Pros getting ghosted by customers, here's an idea that might help the problem without getting into the refund territory.  Yes, I know this doesn't apply when you have Promote turned on.

Here is a screen grab from a post I just saw pop up:

Notice there is not a SINGLE word typed by the customer.  All the info is populated from the dropdowns.  I personally try to avoid customers like this.  If you don't care enough to write a couple sentences, then I probably don't want to work with you.

I think Thumbtack should REQUIRE a mimumum number of characters in the Video Project Vision field (or whatever it's called for other industries).  "No, I need help to develop the vision" should NOT be an option.  If you are not going to have other forms of verification (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc) then prove to us that these leads are real before we quote.

ThumbtackNoCustomInfo1.png

8 responses
Daniel_O
Level 7

Re: Competition is healthy...Paranoia is not

I agree. Back when you'd reply to customer requests, I'd almost never send a quote to someone who didn't write a message describing what they needed - I learned that they were a waste of money. Especially if they left the default choice of "professional must travel to my address, I will travel to the pro up to 25 miles, this can be done over the phone or internet" - this was practically a guarantee that they weren't really interested.

Now I have promote turned on, so I automatically pay when someone contacts me, but they haven't written a single thing; they just clicked a bunch of buttons. They almost never respond after that initial "contact".
Highlighted
CLGPatrick
Level 7

@StoriesUpSTL I completely agree with this.

Despite me using promote exclusively, I use to take this exact same approach before the new system.  If someone didn't type anything in the field, I simply figured they were just price shopping without the intent of hiring and not worth me sending a quote to.

Patrick Skinner
CLG Photography
CLGPatrick
Level 7

@StoriesUpSTL 

I'm also going to add that if they put zero details AND picked the lowest budget option.  It's likely that the WANT to hire, but can't afford to hire you.  When you send a quote of, in your case, $400 quote for someone that selected a "Below $500", it's extremely likely that they probably don't have a budget dictacted for that job at all and are really just looking to see how much money do they need to get a job like that done.

This is why I use the promotion system religiously, because they already see what I'm going to quote them for, because it deters those price shoppers with no dictacted budget from ever contacting me.

Patrick Skinner
CLG Photography
0 Kudos
StoriesUpSTL
Level 7

@CLGPatrick  Must be nice.  Unfortunately Thumbtack doesn't offer pricing filters for Video Production.  They have it for Wedding and Event Videography, but not Video Production.  So if I turn on Promote, I may get contacted from someone that has a $50 budget or a $5000 budget.  And I actually have Promote turned on my St. Louis profile, but not much comes through.  Maybe one contact every 2 weeks.

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Thanks for starting another awesome conversation @StoriesUpSTL. You know what works best for your business and know what you're looking for in a customer, which is awesome! Thank you for sharing your feedback about the info you do receive from customers, it's helpful for us to know what's working and what's not. I do have a question for you. Would you be more willing to Promote your business if there was the option to set up your prices for Video Production? 

0 Kudos
StoriesUpSTL
Level 7

Yes I would.
0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 9

@CLGPatrick 

If Promote is working for you, I think that's awesome. But for majority it's not. Case in point, 2 weeks ago, I had customers use conversation starters asking what my estimate is(my pricing is in my profile and pricing pages for matches--if that's the correct term). If they are really interested AND read everything in detail, then why send that starter? This is one of the many things about Promote that frustrates me beyond belief.  I've done everything that Thumbtack reps/moderators suggested, even adding new 5 star reviews daily, but I can say that over 90% of customers never reply back when I respond to their so called being interested conversation starter.  Personally, if customers were really interested, they would send a personable message, but I don't know if that option is given to them when Pro searching.

Moderator Meckell

@CLGPatrick glad to hear that promote is working to your advantage, especially in these situations. Thanks for sharing your insight!