Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
MMM_Memories
Level 7

Does spending effect position on search results?

So I searched for this on the boards and didn't see a post dedicated solely to answering this question.

I cannot see any other reason for my profile not being listed at all on search results. Especially when I have promote/targetting/* turned on.

This is the information from TT about how search is ranked:

Ranking is based on an algorithm that takes into account many factors, but our goal is simple: we want customers to find the pros they need and we want pros to get hired. We try to place pros who will give the best customer experience at the top of the list.  

Our main consideration is: how great of a customer experience will you provide? And we think you can provide the best customer experience by focusing on these things:

• Promote your profile
  • Pricing
  • Responsiveness
  • Reviews

I think I check off all the required criteria listed pretty well. I have gone from being on top of the list to not having my profile show up at all.
So, my question is Search Ranking tied to  Pro spending?

22 responses
kenley
Level 5

Re: Does spending effect position on search results?

I absolutely agree with your concern. I see my own ranking behind people who have NEVER had a TT job.  What's that??  At least other sites, like Gigsalad and Gigmaster, are honest, that if you pay them more, you are ranked higher.  Does TT  have an under-the-table system where you can pay them to get ranked? I don't know.

Moderator Meckell

@kenley that's definitely not something we do. There is no under-the-table system where pros pay to get ranked higher. 

kenley
Level 5

OK, so answer my question. I'm a Top Pro. I get an email tonite to check out the Top Pro tracker. I hit "compare" and it shows me 2 other Top Pros & a guy with ZERO Thumbtack hires, all described as "The most popular pros in your area."  Same thing when I check where I stand in search rankings.  Why?

Moderator Meckell

@kenley is the pro that doesn't have any hires a new pro by chance?

0 Kudos
kenley
Level 5

I don't know. He's been ahead of me in rankings for several weeks. Would that matter?

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@kenley can you send me a private message with a screenshot of what you're seeing? I'm happy to look into this further and get you more clarification. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

Great question @MMM_Memories. The five things you listed above (profile, promoting, pricing, responsiveness, and reviews) are all factors that determine where a pro ranks in search results. Spending does not have an effect on ranking. 

I understand that it's frustrating that you're not appearing in search results for all of your services. I'll look into this and will send you a private message shortly with more info! 

MMM_Memories
Level 7

If its because my rates are higher than other Pros. That didnt matter a few days ago. However, I can see my profile on search on some platforms now. and I havent changed anything from yesterday. This seems like a change/test at the backend.  Since, the results vary depending on my browser ie. Safari desktop vs Chrome desktop vs Safari App.
I dont show up at all on Safari Desktop. That cant possibly based on my prices.

Highlighted
MMM_Memories
Level 7

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 9.58.48 AM.pngResults on Safari on DesktopScreen Shot 2019-08-08 at 9.59.08 AM.pngResults on Chrome on Desktop

Why are the results so different?? Why don't I show up on Chrome??? Does being signed  into TT effect the search results?? What warrants the algorithm being so different from one browser to another? 
This is not the first time or even the first of few time. This happens a lot. Why does this happen so randonmly?