Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted
HansenJC
Level 10

How does Rank Boost for Pros who use Promote actually work when we are never told our rank?

It is like the emperors new clothes. Tell me my rank and I will wear it with pride. There is no Pro out there who knows their rank. Hard to promise vapor-ranking.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
Occupations (1)
States
18 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: How does Rank Boost for Pros who use Promote actually work when we are never told our rank?

@HansenJC I just responded to a similar post from you about this in a different thread, but I want to make sure you get some help with this so I'll say much of the same here. If you visit the main website and type in your service and zip code it's pretty easy to see where you rank. I just did a quick check and found you around number 15 on the list. This is always subject to change, especially as customers pick and choose different filters and your competition changes. As you've mentioned getting that first set of 10 reviews could certainly help with your ranking as well. You can have up to 10 reviews from customers that were not from Thumbtack by sending them your public review link. To find that link click on reviews, "ask for reviews", and then "get shareable link".

0 Kudos
HansenJC
Level 10

Re: How does Rank Boost for Pros who use Promote actually work when we are never told our rank?

Kameron,

Thank you for this information.

Until now I had relied exclusively on the information that is available to me via my Dashboard to view all information about my professional services that are offered on Thumbtack . As a professional I anticipated and expected that my rank would be in the form of a numeric value and easily found in my unique area specific to my profile as a Pro that is refered to as my Dashboard.

This is not the case.

I see now that I must do my own accounting of where I stand among all other Pros who offer Home Inspection services. This process of accounting is done by viewing all Home Inspectors and counting from the top down to see where my profile image appears among all other images. I feel strongly that this is nothing that should be characterised as a ranking of any sort. However, now that I have been shown where Thumbtack has placed this "ranking" I can see that my profile image was placed rather far down the stack of images below the fold. (On the second or third page depending on how one would view this URL page.) Perhaps rank is the wrong term, but I will not split hairs over terminology even though that discussion of the use and misuse of language would please me.

Now that I have found my position in the scrollable stack of images (that Thumbtack has defined as "rank"), this tells me nothing concrete about how Customers are presented to me as a Pro. It tells me how Pros are presented to customers. I suspect that not all customers are sent to me via the Jobs tab when I am not using Promote because my inbox has been pretty dry for many months. And now that Thumbtack has removed my ability to send followup messages (because I am not using Promote), the tool that allowed me to overcome the inadequate collection of usable information about the Home Inspection Job being posted has been stripped from the Thumbtack service to the detriment of both the Customers and the Pros. The Pros have lost the ability to clarify the quote through a narrative message. This may be overcome by choosing to Promote myself, But TT never tells us that we have had our profile sent to customers. Or, has that practice changed too? With every new and unpublish change that Thumbtack deploys, knowing how to use this platform is becoming a game of Cat and Mouse chasing after critical knowledge of the new rules.

Being a Home Inspector requires that we strike while the iron is hot. This is becoming increasingly difficult when Thumbtack moves the branding iron out of the fire with every new change to the platform that Thumtack conjures up.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@HansenJC, happy to help!

The jobs sent to you in the Jobs tab are ones that are within a 150 mile radius and are within the services you have listed. Remember that solely using the Jobs tab to meet new customers is not ideal, as those are sent there after the customers have specifically reached out to a pro from the search results, which is the main way pros are acquiring hires.

In terms of following up I want to make sure it's clear that pros can follow up for jobs and leads where the customer has reached out or responded for the first time. The only follow-up functionality that was removed was for those quotes you sent through the Jobs tab and have yet to hear back from the customer. 

Your profile isn't necessarily sent to customers anymore like it was back when there was Instant Match, aside from sending your own quote through the Jobs tab. You can, however, see how many Listing Views and Profile Views you have when checking your Insights. Listing Views are counted when you are shown in the search results list, whereas, Profile Views are counted when a customer actually clicks on your picture from the list. 

I know there have been a lot of changes and it can be hard to keep up. Just know we don't make these updates without heavy consideration and that they are all in an effort to make Thumbtack that much better. Our CEO; Marco, actually spoke to the number of updates we've been making and admits that we can be better at keeping pros in the know in our recent live Q&A if you hadn't seen it already. 

HansenJC
Level 10

@Kameron 

The jobs that I see in the Jobs tab being 150 miles away are of little value to me or anyone else when driving 300 miles round trip would cost me more than the job was worth. That is unprofitable and you know it. I am not surprised that Thumbtack is using every technique they can conjure up to discourage all Pros from using the Jobs tab. If you do not wish us to use the Jobs Tab…. just stop pretending it is a feature and take it away.

Also, there are five state around me within 150 miles for which I am not licensed. That is ridiculous. Are you laughing at us? You have already stopped verifying licenses for Home Inspectors. What will go next? I have indicated my job preferences within a very narrow range and yet you show me jobs 150 miles away? Just take that non-functional preference away too. Stop laughing at the Pros. This is not funny.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@HansenJC we don't in any way think your frustrations are a laughing matter. Your concerns are valid and we are definitely hearing you out. 

We aren't discouraging pros from using the Jobs tab, we wouldn't have it as an option for you guys if we didn't feel it served some type of value. We have heard a lot of feedback regarding the 150 mile radius and Marco even addressed this in one if his responses in our last Q&A "that because of feedback from pros like you, in the next few weeks, we’re adding the capability to sort the opportunities you see in the Jobs tab by distance. Hopefully this helps, too." You can see the full context of that post here

Thank you for starting this conversation and hearing us out. Improvements have been made and are continuing to be made. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

HansenJC
Level 10

@Meckell 

In the past, I may have believed erroneously that by entering a mileage distance into my preferences that this distance would be used to filter the jobs shown to me in the Jobs tab. Maybe it never really worked, but this is just one of the numerous changes or remnant programming issues that is obvious and at this stage in the development of Thumbtack should not even need discussion. Discovering it now is like looking in the rear view mirror.

What you have not addressed in my last comment is the abandonment of verification of State Home Inspector’s licenses.

Is there any plan to reinstate this feature for Home Inspectors? Which other licenses have been, or are about to be dropped? All Pros should be advised before it happens to their category.

On the one hand you advise customers to be mindful of Pros who are licensed in their State. And now you have stopped verifying this license and perhaps other critical licenses. And once again, Pros were never notified that this critical Thumbtack service which helps both customers and Pros has been abandoned. Thumbtack offered me no notification at all until I attempted to update the expiration date of my license. Only then do I find that this valuable tool for Home Inspectors had been removed from Thumbtack’s functionality. Please ask Marco what he calls this discontinuation of these services without notification. To this pro it is called Hide and Seek, or Cat and Mouse.

John C Hansen, LEED AP
Hansen Home Inspections
0 Kudos
Moderator Meckell

@HansenJC I apologize for not addressing that. We have recently changed the type of licenses we verify on Thumbtack and unfortunately, home inspection licenses isn’t one we verify at this time. Although I don't have any specific details as to if and when this type of license will be one we verify again, our team is keeping a close eye on this. Of course, the feedback we receive from pros about this is super helpful and I'll be sure to pass along your concerns.

0 Kudos
DJStevie
Level 12

@Meckell,
How about DJ licenses? Customers are booking venues that require a DJ to be licensed and insured.
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@DJStevie That's one that we're currently not verifying either, but I'd be sure to include those in your bio and messages with customers.

0 Kudos