Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
tmholbert
Level 5

How is the ranking calculated?

Ranking?

I see several other competitors ahead of me in ranking and just wanted to know how it works? 

I viewed thier profiles and most arent even complete with zero pictures and less reviews.

What gives?

25 responses
Moderator Kameron

Re: How is the ranking calculated?

@tmholbert great question! There are 5 main things that pros need to rank higher in search results that I've listed below. Also, be sure to read through some of our Q&A about what goes into ranking with one of our Product Managers HERE

1. Improve your profile
  2. Promote your profile
  3. Respond quickly
  4. List your prices
  5. Get lots of great reviews

tmholbert
Level 5

Thanks for reaching out.

Still trying to understand:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpginsights.jpg

I;m just trying to understand the process better. Thanks.

tmholbert
Level 5

Nothing against any other competitor, we are all vying for the same jobs - I just wanted to know how the ranking truly works so I can work to improve mine. 

It seems very inconsistant. 

Moderator Kameron

@tmholbert thanks for providing that additional context. Currently, when I search for a bartender in your area I'm seeing you show up 4th on the list only behind pros that have an equal or higher review count. In the screenshots you've provided were there certain filters that you applied in your search? If so that could be why you end up behind other pros if their preferences are more aligned with the filters.

0 Kudos
tmholbert
Level 5

Hello Kameron,

Thanks for the quick follow up. No. I didn;t have any other filters, just typd in Bartender in my area.

Maybe it has to do with my browser cache? I'm not sure. I also viewed via incognito and still came up with the same results...

I did have another question and I'm happy to start a new thread if I have too:

When a pro first gets a lead and reaches out to the client with a custom response, does the client get that response even if it has an email or phone number to contact the pro?

I'm just asking because I send responses immediatley. I don't wait. But I do not get any type of correspondence back - from Thumbtack, personal website, or business email. 

I was thinking this is because all of that information is on my initial response. Is this true? (I promise I'm finished with the questions after this) 

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@tmholbert to make sure I understand, are you asking if a customer will not receive a pros response if it includes that pros contact information? If I have that right then I can say that this is not the case. We actually encourage pros to include their contact information within their first response to a customer. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeH
Level 8

What Job Posters should know.

Recently, I took to Thumbtack (TT) as a Job Poster, (JP).  As I began my search for a Pro, I had certain expectations that TT was going to provide access for me to reach out to some of the best Pro's in the market for my job.  In fact, as a JP, I was not able to post my job request without selecting at least one Pro from the list provided.  That list contained some of TT's best performers, ensuring that I was going to get a good experience, or so I thought.  Flip back to myself as a Pro, I was clicking on some of the suggestions that TT offers where i can see how my profile stacks up with my competition.  I rank second in the number of reviews that I have, but I have the highest ranking than any other with a 97% 5 star rating.  I have three times the number of photographs posted in my profile than any other pro.  I have three times the number of recent jobs posted in my profile.  I have a score of 100% with regard to the timeliness of my responses to job leads.  I have earned the coveted TOP PRO award, (not to mention over two dozen badges).  Basically, I have demonstrated that by selecting my business for your job needs is a good bet if you're a JP.  Even with all of this demonstrated success, a TOP PRO... literally, I am the best that TT has to offer in my category based on my record....and yet... I dont even show up in the initial search for a pro for a JP.  I'm not even there.

If the guy with the best record of success does not show up, who does...?  There are brand new pro's that show up in the initial search for  providors.  Pro's with ZERO reviews, pro's with less than 3 hires, Pro's with ZERO response rating... thats who.  So what do these guys have that I dont?  If we were looking at performance, my batting average is at the top, and the other guys have no record at all.  Clearly, it's not about TT putting thier best providers in front of the JP.  What have they got?  What separates them from me..... they chose the Promote system.  While the other guys may be good at what they do, who's to know?? I have proven myself to be a top performer,  but being good at what you do does not fit the criteria for being listed.  

Highlighted
revbrian
Level 8

Re: What Job Posters should know.

@GeorgeH - knowing how to present oneself on TT is essential. I was speaking with a wedding client of mine who I got from Thumbtack at least six months back and they looked visibly shocked when I told them I had to pay Thumbtack about 8% of the gross amount of my bid just to send a reply to their request for a quote (RFQ). They said that I was one of 9 responses they had from the RFQ but they only actually responded to the 'most friendly looking' 3 Pros that responded. I landed the gig because of those 3 that they responded to, I was the most helpful when we all got to be face to face, in front of them.

The chins really hit the floor when I confirmed for them (they worked it out after a couple of secinds) that all 9 Pros had to pay a fee, not just the 3 that they reached out to. They thought that only the 3 they contacted were going to pay.

Thumbtack lost them as a client for future jobs right then at that moment in time.

GeorgeH
Level 8

Re: What Job Posters should know.

Yes... the customers really dont know how the system works.  I can agree with you that the quality of your profile can make all the difference.  At the end of the day, on this or any online platform, thats all that you have.  It's your billboard.  So when that billboard, that you have spent countless hours building, does not even show up in the searches... where are you now.... You're out of the running.  Even if your track record proves that you're the best qualified, most responsive, provider.  You would think that those things mattered to TT.  You would think that they would want their best players on the field.  Imagine if you would, how quickly the fans would exit the stadiums if the NFL decided to only play the rookies.   That's what we're dealing with here.  This platform is no longer about providing the best solution for the customer.  If it was, the best, most qualified pro's would be offered.