results: 10
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
InspectorRon
Level 5

Re: No business yet..

Hi Meckell! Thanks for helping again! So I have been contacted probably 45 times by 'Customers wanting home inspectors'. The first 10 or so replies I did the fixed price quote,  I never heard back from any of them. The next ten or so people that contacted me I tried lowering my price, (although I know I was competitive before) Still I got no replies. The next ten or so I gave really low prices and also figured out how to use the thumbtack job notification link in my text message to send them a follow up note to my fixed price quote, I typically wrote something like "Hi thanks for contacting me! Please call or write with any questions you may have, I am happy to work with you!". I received ZERO replies again.

The next group of 10 or so I did both high and very low fixed price quotes. This time I received a reply to my low estimate for a 225.00 home inspection!  But the customer asked me if my 225.00 price covered 2 home inspections! I got charged a lead fee, ok. I replied and told him the 225.00 was the cost of one home inspection but if he needed another later I would give him a great deal on the 2nd. He never contacted me again.

You can probably imagine by this point I am very discouraged, and I am thinking of giving up my efforts at Thumbtack and focusing on Yelp and Google where I have already gotten customers, with very little effort and zero cost out of my pocket. What do you think is going on here?

Thanks again for your help!!

Ron

Moderator Meckell

@InspectorRon I know it's super frustrating when a customer reaches out, you respond, and then you don't hear from them again. Be sure to check out this post with some tips on what to do if a customer ghosts you. 

One thing that I think will really help you is expanding more on your profile so that you stand out more to customers. Let's have you start by getting some more reviews. Remember that you're able to get up to 10 reviews from customers you've done work for outside of Thumbtack. After that, consider doing a background check. Background checks ensure more customer trust and it will also help your overall profile score go up. 

I also encourage you to look at your insights page. It's a great way to see how you compare to other pros in your area! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
InspectorRon
Level 5

Good morning Meckell,    

I appreciate the tips and links, as far as the tips in ghosting..

The way I understand it, the potential customer contacts me after seeing my profile, so they are already interested in me regardless of reviews, badges etc.. they decided they want to talk to me so they reach out. I reply within 5 minutes 95% of the time and get nothing back, or in other words.. they call me, I answer "hello!" and then they hang up. So I have no desire to keep call them back, its rude and disrespectful on both sides.

Being a new business too I have few reviews to import, and as another moderator and I discussed previously, I decided against importing them because I had to sign a statement that I understood I would be giving Thumbtack access to my full account in Google to import them and that Thumbtack could then edit or delete it my account. So no, I'm not doing that.

I looked at Insights just now, that is good information, it shows my profile has been viewed 12 times, so your suggestion to improve the profile sounds like a good one. Before looking at Insights I was under the impression that if those 40 people contacted me they must have looked at my profile right? But it turns out, according to Insights, the only reason most of them "contacted" me was a thumbtack algorithm, and not because the customer wanted to talk to me. "And for that reason I'm out." I couldnt resist a SharkTank Impression!

I did earn a Gab Badge!  haha go figure..

Thanks!

Ron

Slowly I learn..

Thanks!

Ron