Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 9
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?

Quality of leads

Over the past few months — since the latest changes in the way leads reach us pros — I haven't been getting very promising leads.
I assumed that the good (i.e. interesting and potentially higher-paying) jobs were going to those promoting their profiles, while the rest of us were getting the shake.
I decided to promote my profile, setting the limit of roughly 2 leads per week.
The same day I got my two leads.
Alas, they were the very shake of the shake I would have passed on without a second thought. Except now I was $44 poorer.

Is my experience unique? Have other pros found profile promotion to be a money-losing proposition as I have? (My business is custom furniture building)

Please share your experience.

Thanks —

sergey

Occupations (1)
States
4 responses
StoriesUpSTL
Level 8

Re: Quality of leads

@WaxwingStudio I've seen a huge decline in the number of leads in my industry (Corporate/Small Business/Non-Profit video production).  I've had Promote turned on for about 6 days on 8 of my profiles (I have profiles in 27 different markets).  I haven't seen much come in. I've got 3 leads via Promote so far this week.  Those don't look promising.  I've bid on 12-13 other jobs manually. I made a post titled "Where are the leads?" on Thursday because of my frustration with this.

So for me, the issue isn't that Promote is a waste of money, the jobs just aren't coming in.  I was afraid that when I turned Promote on, I would get hit with charges for a bunch of low paying gigs that I have no interst in doing.  But the reality is I'm just not seing as many jobs on the platform as I did this time last year.  I've also had a hard time connecting with customers that I reach out to first manually.  They don't seem to respond to my questions.  I'm not getting charged, but I think I've missed out on a couple decent jobs because the customer never actually read my messages. 

Moderator Kameron

@WaxwingStudio I want to do what I can to help and see what we can do to make this work for you. Those two leads that came in after you promoted, can you tell me what about them didn't match with the work you do? Were they within the preferences that you'd set up for promoting?

0 Kudos

Hi Kameron

Thanks for following up on my post.

Of the two leads that I received, one seemed to be within my preferences (it was a piece of furniture), the other was not (it was a lantern — not furniture). 

But the biggest problem with both leads is that neither included a project description. There was no way to tell what the prospective client was actually looking for. There were images, but without at least a rudimentary description, it's impossible to tell whether the client wants to replicate what's in the image, or whether these are "inspirations" — and if so, for what? Is the client looking to make a piece of furniture? repair an existing piece? create a mock-up? Etc., etc.  Without a description from a client, it is also very difficult to gauge how serious she is about the project — the suggestion, of course, is that if they haven't bothered to write a description they are not very serious.

I think this problem could be addressed by adding more filters / parameters to the promote function.

If I could specify that I only want to receive leads that include BOTH images and project descriptions, I think I would feel a lot more confident in promoting my profile.

Thanks again for looking into this.

cheers

sergey

Moderator Kameron

@WaxwingStudio thanks for sharing. These details will be super helpful for our teams as we work towards building an even better experience when pros are promoting. As for the job with the lantern if you could send me a direct message with the customer's name I'd like to make sure the job was created correctly. 

0 Kudos