Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Highlighted

Question about the Calendar Notification on my Profile....

When I set my calendar with blocked off dates and times, a message appears to the customers (who want to reach out to me) on the dates that are blocked off. 

"This pro might not be the best match for your project."

It is my understanding that this message conveys to the potential customer that I am not available. What I do not understand is the choice of phrasing. Telling someone I might not be the best match for anything implies that I am unsuitable.

Let us use an example that all of us (TT employee, customer, Pro, etc) has at one time or another experienced. Pat and Lee meet for a cup of coffee. Upon the the evening's conclusion, Pat asks Lee if they could meet again next Friday. Lee says " You might not be the best match for this activity."

Lee's reply most likely is based on the belief that Pat would not be someone desirable enough (for whatever reason) to meet again. It does not appear likely that Lee responds with the phrase "You might not be the best match..."due to unavailability.

If a Pro is unavailable for a certain date or time the notification the customer reads should say something positive such as: This Pro is already booked for the time selected." The notification the potential customer currently sees has a clear negative connotation.

If anyone reading this were told he/she might be the best match for anything would you think that is a statement of availability?

12 responses
Community Manager Drew
Community Manager

Re: Question about the Calendar Notification on my Profile....

@ChefOfAllSeason this reminds me of a saying in sports: "the best ability is availability".

I'm not debating that your phrasing is more positive, but as far as I know updating the copy has not been prioritized at this time.

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos

@Drew Well... I can appreciate the sports oriented thought; however it behooves one to recall an even older adage:

"If you nothing nice to say about someone, don't say anything."

My feedback on the unfortunate choice of words is that anyone who claims to be in partnership with me does not broadcast anywhere that I might not be the best match for their project.

Community Manager Drew
Community Manager

Please let me clarify. From a customer's perspective if you've marked days off your calendar as unavailable and those days coincide with their schedule, then you may not be a great match for their project. 

There was no intent on my end other than a shifting of perspective.

Thanks,

Drew

0 Kudos

@Drew I appreciate that, Drew. Your response is taken only in the positive light as it's intent. It is the choice of words  used in Thumbtack's notifications that is objectionable. I refer also to another thread that discussed how notifications for hire were (to be kind but not inaccurate) phrased in a misleading manner.

Feedback: It appears to be a pattern. When Thumbtack addresses our customers directly it must be sensitive and respectful of who we are. We are your market. Anyone with a shred of business saboir faire will tell you that understanding the customer, in this case the Pro, is the first step towards success. What is the point of presenting us as cheap and less than desirable? Who would want to be perceived as such?

@Drew Just to clarify: It is Thumbtack's perspective that a Pro might not be a great match; not the customer's. The phrase "great match" is one that Thumbtack prefers and employs with abundant frequency. Customers perceive things differently. I have spoken with over a hundred customers who wanted to book me for dates that were already filled. At no time has the customer expressed anything about a "match" of any sort. Point of fact: many have asked to book me on a different date that was open instead of the one(s) they originally preferred. When a customer asks my availability (during an actual two way exchange) the word match does not come up because it is irrelevant. Come to think of it... I have never seen any message from a customer on this site (or any other) who ever said or wrote anything about a "match". My Thumbtack profile goes back to 2014. 

I must disagree with your assertion about how a customer perceives us when we are busy. If I were not (or might not be) a great match, then the customer would not be making inquiry. To be kind, I will simply say that Thumbtack is misjudging the perceptions of the market place. In all fairness, I realize a Community Manager can not alter nor initiate policies outside his/her purview. The issue ought be addressed, however.

Ma
Level 6

This is easily remedied by saving pro is unavailable for those dates , why not support the pros? Without the pros there is no....
Ma
Level 6

Dear Drew, I am horrified to learn this, why isn't immediate action being taken on it....I agree with the pro. I only block off dates when I'm not free
Ma
Level 6

Oh my God, is this true? I hope not it's awful... we are closed thanksgiving week and I don't want this!!!
Community Manager Drew
Community Manager

It’s well within your right to disagree, @ChefOfAllSeason, but I have no further comment.

I'm sorry to hear you're concerned about the phrasing as well @Ma but I also want to be straightforward that updating the message is not currently prioritized ahead of other updates. 

Thanks,
Drew

0 Kudos