Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 100: Is quick reply worthy of charge?
topic id 11582: Pricing
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
topic id 5571: Pricing
topic id 7120: Charging practices
topic id 7090: Insanity
topic id 6931: TV commercial
topic id 5713: Quote pricing / how much will I pay per quote?
topic id 5305: Website Design Pricing
topic id 3937: Unhappy with thumbtack
Highlighted
cuzmail
Level 5

Quote - Thumbtack payment

New to Thumbtack. How in the world do you quote a job with the little information provided in the requests. If I reach out to the customer to get more information in order to see if we even want the job and they reply, then I will be charged an unknown amount. I don't want to pay Thumbtack to receive information needed to tell what a job may be or if we are interested in quoting.

Occupations (1)
43 responses
revbrian
Level 8

Re: Quote - Thumbtack payment

This is the "new and improved" system TT have. It used to be much better, when you could see all the details a client provided and then decide yourself to quote. Now we get no options whatsoever. It's all invisible and behind the scenes. The system here lacks transparancy and is biased towards generating revenue for TT, not to provide a positive and useful environment for clients and pros alike.

Now don't get me wrong... it USED to be much better - perhaps 6 months to a year ago, TT had a great balance between things, but nearly all the changes recently have pushed the site backwards. All IMO of course, your experience may be different.

cuzmail
Level 5

Thanks for the reply. I hoped I was missing something, but it sounds like I am not. So far, I am not impressed with TT. They profess to be different by only charging for interested customer replies to quotes vesus leads, but when you boil it down you are really paying for a lead. If you have to prompt the customer for the information needed to determine if you want to quote a job and TT charges you for the information reply, then that is sketchy at best. 

revbrian
Level 8

Hang on six months.

TT have said they are going to go back to the old/original/previous way of doing the quote thing, but I don't know how that will actually end up being "IRL".

Transparancy in the current system is completely lacking and much to what seems like everyone's upset on the pro's side is that TT are not moving as quickly as they should to reverse things. We all know they are screwing-the-pooch right now, so they don't need to save face, it's already lost. There is talk of them preparing for a sell-off/IPO/whatever, and that would explain the push to screw the resource they are selling to the clients (us - the pros) but I've not seen anything beyond speculation.

You can go online to TT and see RFQ's (request for quotes) in thier entirity, but if I am away from my computer actually doing a job for example, the mobile app does not really cover it well. My cell phones browser is the best way to see more detail and even then...

When did they say they were going back to the original way? What I was told is that they're pushing forward with the new system and making everything auto-bids. That doesn't work at all for my biz! I have to analayze every request to see if it fits my parameters and those paramaeter vary greatly by distance, budget, hours requested, products requested... etc. I'll also not tie myself up with a low budget biz headshot with no chance of upsell, when they're requesting a weekend apt in my busy season and I'm going to then not be able to accept a big event job at 10x the price! But I'll take that same job midweek in the off season as filler! And that's just the big factors... there's a whole bunch more! There's no possible way of auto bidding working for me. If you've got an assembly line product, that's a whole different deal - nothing changes but quantity. Most of us pros don't have those kinds of businesses.

That's what happened to MerchantCircle.
We had a wonderful community of merchants all over the country, & merchant circle businesses were in top pages of Google searches! Then the owners of MerchantCircle let in Google ads and analytics. We had little control after that. Then they sold it to reply.com and it died!
I hope that Thumbtack is not changing too much without really considering how it is affecting us.
Moderator Meckell

Hi @cuzmail and @revbrian thanks for starting this conversation. You both bring up some valid points about pricing, I promise it's something we're working on. We don't have plans of going back to the original way of quoting, you'll still be sending quotes for free and paying for a response. We want to be transparent with you pros and that's exactly what we're keeping in mind when coming up with ways to improve. As always, any feedback you have will help us make the right changes. You can share them with us here or send them directly to our Product Team: https://help.thumbtack.com/suggestions.

cuzmail
Level 5

Thanks for your reply. I am curious as to how we are supposed to quote a job with the (lack of) information supplied. What exactly does TT think should happen? If I ask for more information to see if we even want to quote the job, TT will charge me an undisclosed amount under the guise of a client "reply". I don't see how this is supposed to work if we aren't paying for leads. Please advise. Also, feel free to have someone call me and explain. As of now, TT isn't what I thought it would be.

Moderator Meckell

@cuzmail. We want to be able to provide you with the right info to give an accurate quote. Are there any specific questions that you want us to ask customers? I'm more than happy to submit any feedback you have. Or if you'd rather do it, that's fine too. Just go to: https://help.thumbtack.com/suggestions and leave your thoughts there. 

revbrian
Level 8

@Meckell - "We want to be able to provide you with the right info to give an accurate quote." Then provide the pros with a more flexible quoting system... Like the one you had BEFORE instant match came on the scene