Filter by message states (for user id: -1, login: Anonymous):
results: 10
topic id 32826: Raising prices but do not state what the prices are!!!!!
topic id 32384: Private Chef/Catering Pricing
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
Moderator Meckell

Re: Resource of the week: Search results and rank

@rachelalvesphot I just sent you a private message regarding your situation. Check that out and respond when you have a chance. 

0 Kudos
GeorgeH
Level 8

@rachelalvesphotid like to know what you have found out... I understand that without promote, things like preferences dont matter...but if you were on promote, and your stats are better...most people would think that translates to a higher ranking.

Hmmm. I have not heard anything so far.  Still waiting.

SharonM7
Level 6

I only show up when I promote

When dealing with Thumbtack, I’m a pro who tries to be very fair in my expectations. I don’t throw a fit when things don’t go my way. I don’t come on these forums and use them as an outlet for my frustration with my business shortcomings, etc.

But I am disappointed with a few things related to user search results. I’m completely absent from results unless I pay for them. Promote has to be on, and my budget has to replenished for me to appear in searches.

What’s extra frustrating is seeing some of the “pros” that do appear in searches. Thumbtack, you’re not doing your customers any favors by hiding me and showing some of these people. First of all, I’m a top pro and I have specific experience in my specializations. You’re showing people who don’t even specialize in my work. How is this rewarding people like me who have spent thousands on your platform? How is this beneficial to the end user? I completely get that I won’t be shown all the time, but what’s up with showing all this weak talent while never showing me unless I pay?

Just please shed some light. Thank you.
Moderator Kameron

Re: I only show up when I promote

@SharonM7 thanks first of all for bringing this to our attention in a way that invites discussion. It's something that really is appreciated. You're right, promoting has had an increasingly large impact on whether a pro will show up in a high-level spot. It's become more and more apparent that when pros have their targeting preferences filled out and in place that it helps us show more relevant pros to the customer doing the search. If there are pros showing up in the list for your line of work that don't appear to fit they likely offer more than one service. Can you tell me more about what caused you to pause your settings? Feedback on that front I think can certainly go a long way in helping us to improve the experience further so that you feel more comfortable setting your preferences and in turn not have to worry about where you rank without it. 

0 Kudos
SharonM7
Level 6

Thanks for your response, Kameron. To answer your question, I want to pause and unpause promote as my funds allow. 

I still don't think there is a good reason that less experienced pros with less specialization are showing up while I'm not showing up at all. 

0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@SharonM7 thanks for clarifying. So you are saying you'd like to show up in the same ranking even when your funds won't allow for new contacts at that point in time anyway? If you're not able to take on new leads at that moment isn't it fair to allow other pros who want more leads to move up that one spot while you're targeting preferences are paused?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SharonM7
Level 6

Hi Kameron, and thanks as always for the pleasant discourse. I think it’s because I pay for so many bad leads (window shoppers, ghosters, people who want bottom of the barrel prices, etc.) that I have to be prudent at times about prepaying. I have no intention of being unfair to other pros. I do appreciate you helping me see things from a different POV. You’re not wrong 😊

Now that being said, it shows that the search function is pretty much pay-controlled, and I feel you guys can be more transparent about that. I know it’s completely based on the pro’s specialty. So some are way more saturated than others. I think what’s happening there is if the pro is not on Promote, they’re probably not showing up, at least in my case. That’s a surprise. I expected to disappear on and off, but not completely off.
0 Kudos
Moderator Kameron

@SharonM7 I can definitely see where you're coming from with this as well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and starting this dialogue. 

0 Kudos