results: 10
topic id 25265: Pricing
topic id 24883: The purpose of promotion and set your budget in advance
topic id 22503: Leads
topic id 26197: Paying twice for the same lead
topic id 22064: Questionable leads
topic id 14288: Declined "Leads" charged
topic id 18721: Old format
topic id 19454: Marketing Executive From Thumbtack Chooses Promoted Lead, Then Radio Silence
topic id 18206: New Model?
topic id 7183: I'm trying to remove a credit card remove ,from payments,system wont let me
mgilbert408
Level 3

Re: The New Thumbtack

I have used TT for maybe a year as a way to fill in between bigger remodeling jobs. I would only send replys to a few potential customers a month. Usually spending $5 to $15 per. Last week I saw a small (under $800) one day project that could be done by a handyman and sent in a reply. I understood that I would be charged only if the client replied to me. It seemed like a great change. The client did reply and asked for a time for us to meet. I then saw a $75 charge (the maximum allowed) for this tiny lead. I called customer service and was told it was in line with the new policy. WOW! I guess hiding what the potential fee will be and then telling the Pro thats just how it is now is the new way. I could not even get TT to lower the charge after I explained that the job will likely be $600 to $800 max. No more small jobe will ever be considered by tradesmen if they have to pay 10% of their contract price for the lead. Telling me to just live with it sucks too. I hope to share this story with all my new and old clients soon.

JHC
Level 5

Thanks mgilbert408.

I do the Handyman thing here at TT and had success figuring out ways to work around losing money at TT. The New way I see it all going, I am so afraid of the future TT that I now am desperately looking for Other ways to let clients find me so I can save my business from these Lead Farm scamers.

Joan
Level 6

@mgilbert408 You are lucky - they wanted $19-$41 for a lead to a max $75 job.   That's too much for even a sure thing. TT is treating all Pros, across industries the same which makes no sense. $41 for a $400 might make sense, depending on the industry.

Joan
Level 6

@Jordan Biggest issue I have with the weekly budget...well there are several of them.

1. Every week - even weeks when I am not taking new work, I am locked in to paying for it.
  2. TT sets the minimum budget - for me that is $75 (ie $322/mo) What if I only want to set it at $50 or even $25?
  3. Differnet budget for every service - so instead of spending $322/mo I am now on the hook for $966/mo if I have three services.  Now that $966 does not get me even a single guarenteed job, just a few leads. I would need about 13 actual jobs to just cover the cost of TT. Even if I could justify #1 and they made #2 better, this alone is a deal breaker on the Weekly Budget for me.

I am the first to say "Math is not my friend" - but I can't imagine that TT has not done the basic math on this. Maybe someone over there needs to ask Siri/Alexa to help with some basic calculations.

AcadeTax
Level 4

DearThumbtack,

From a 4 year Top Pro and most hired tax preparer in Western New York and (former) avid fan of Thumbtack.

I have had several conversations with Thumbtack customer service and like the platform itself it has gone dramatically downhill, all you will get is "we are listening".

1) Cost to acquire clients has gone up 4-5 times in almost every category.
2) What was the point of promoting the creation of customized quote templates - they are pointless and obsolete now?

3) No transparency of pricing at all, we are now at the whim of whatever fee Thumbtack decides is industry standard rather than being informed beforehand what credits and later dollars it would cost to quote.

This claim that these are all improvements for the Pro, nobody believes that, there is not one post here that would indicate so.

Thumbtack, you make your money from the Pros, yet your actions show that your priorities are in order of benefit, first, Thumbtack itself, second, the people who are searching your site looking to book the work and lastly, us, the Pros.

Stop telling us over and over that your listening to our feedback and that you're working on it if you're not at least willing to tell us what improvements are being made. Luckily, for me at least, this is my slow off season and I'm not getting ripped off regularly like everybody else here (I am not participating in Instant Match) and I can only hope that changes are actually made before next tax season. I feel bad for the year round pros here. If changes are not made, I will also be leaving Thumbtack. The ROI just doesn't make sense. 

Thumbtack, I think you are going to get a practical lesson in the economic principle of "inelasticity of demand". Just because you charge your Pros more, a lot more, doesn't mean your revenues will go up. As more and more Pros leave because it just doesn't make sense for their business, your revenues will actually go down.

Well, there you go, I dare you to respond with some actual news on these improvements you're supposedly working on.

- Darren Dowdell, Owner of Acade Tax Services

Usedtobegood
Level 5

This is the first acknowledgment I have seen about from a Thumbtack employee about the failings of the new system. Any updates on when changes will be made? Thumbtack has been hugely helpful for me over the years, but now it is like playing the lottery without knowing the cost of the ticket or the potential jackpot.

Moderator Meckell

Hi @Usedtobegood I understand the frustration of not knowing the price upfront. Good news, we listened and changes are already being made. We just started showing prices up front to some pros to see before they decide to send a quote. This is the first step in this transition and we're working hard to make this available to all pros. This is something we're excited about, I hope you are too. Stay tuned! 

BradBaldwin
Level 6

@Meckell why not unveil it to all pros right away?  Please show us some good faith 

Moderator Meckell

@BradBaldwin great question. When we release new updates, we do so in batches to make sure everything runs smoothly. Good news though, all pros who are custom quoting will now be able to see the price before they decide to send a quote. To see this, all you need to do is click the request details and then select "learn more." Let me know if you have any questions about this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BradBaldwin
Level 6

@Meckell

Very nice, this is good to see, but I'm sure others will still have problems with the actual price itself, as these quote prices are three times compared to their equivalent gigs a few years ago.  Thanks.

0 Kudos